Mint 18.1 can't install FaHControl

I'm running a Thinkpad T430 with NVidia NVS 5400M and Linux Mint 18.1. Install instructions for Linux say to install FAHClient, FAHControl and FAHViewer. According to the Package Installer, FaH Client, FaH Viewer , and the CUDA toolkit for Ubuntu 16.04 were already installed, but when I went to install FaHControl it gave me this error. I would assume it's also already installed, but the only FaH entry I see in the Mint Cinnamon Menu is the "FAHViewer"; FAHControl isn't shown, and I can't find it. How can I make sure FAHControl is on my machine, or install it if it's not?

Ah, I know of this error.

You need the python support package since the newer Mint distos no longer have it within the stock ISO.  F@H runs on an older Python code (really wish Standford do a update here soon for the Linux distros)

wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/109052632/python-support_1.0.15_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i python-support_1.0.15_all.deb

This should fix that error you are getting.  Probably best to install the python package then uninstall and reinstall F@H.

Here their guide on Linux install.  This page for the installer package.  If that don't work, may have to do manual install.

http://folding.stanford.edu/support/faq/installation-guides/linux/

I am working on a F@H installation guide for Debian branch Linux distros, but still working on it while I redo my 24/7 rig which runs Mint Mate 18.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

The fix proposed by Ithanul worked for me yesterday (Ubuntu 16.04). That said, always be wary when installing packages linked by strangers on the internet. :ph34r:

On 11/20/2017 at 6:00 PM, Ithanul said:

This should fix that error you are getting.  Probably best to install the python package then uninstall and reinstall F@H.

Ok so I copy-pasted the terminal commands, let Mint do its thing, then went into Software Manager and tried to uninstall FAHClient and FAHControl. I say tried because I'm not sure they were uninstalled; the status bar at the bottom of the Software Manager didn't reach 100% for either, and FAHClient was still showing in search results when I searched for "FAH". I went here and installed FAHClient ok, but FAHControl said it needed to install 6 packages and gave me this error. What am I doing wrong?

So, you are downloading the .deb installer from Standford's site?

If the installer packages don't work, the last method is to use terminal commands to install F@H.

These lines are from the website itself:  http://folding.stanford.edu/support/faq/installation-guides/linux/manual-installation-advanced/

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahclient/debian-testing-64bit/v7.4/fahclient_7.4.4_amd64.deb

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahcontrol/debian-testing-64bit/v7.4/fahcontrol_7.4.4-1_all.deb

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahviewer/debian-testing-64bit/v7.4/fahviewer_7.4.4_amd64.deb

These lines will download all three: fahclient, fahcontrol, and fahviewer.

Install fahclient first.

sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahclient_7.4.4_amd64.deb

You should get a prompt during the install for username, setup info, etc.

Next do fahcontrol.  This the GUI to control the client.

sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahcontrol_7.4.4-1_all.deb

Fahviewer is optional.  Not really required to run F@H.

sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahviewer_7.4.4_amd64.deb

Getting F@H to work on Linux is a bit of a rabbit role.  I am about to install the newer Mint 18.2 on my folding rig.  I will be taking pictures and writing step by step process here soon.

Do these commands for uninstalling.

sudo dpkg -P fahclient

sudo dpkg -P fahcontrol

sudo dpkg -P fahviewer

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

On 11/23/2017 at 2:46 PM, Ithanul said:

So, you are downloading the .deb installer from Standford's site?

If the installer packages don't work, the last method is to use terminal commands to install F@H.

That's got it. Thank you very much! I should probably learn to get over my fear of command line. Too much time with Windows...

12 hours ago, nicholaicheck said:

That's got it. Thank you very much! I should probably learn to get over my fear of command line. Too much time with Windows...

Yeah, F@H seems to work better by installing through command line.

BOINC though installs like a charm through a package manager.

Only reason command line don't scare me off, I grew up using a Windows 3.1.  Getting use to MS-DOS command line helped out a lot.  Since MS-DOS, Linux, and Mac share the Unix commands, a lot of base commands work on most of those OSes.  Helps when I have to deal with enterprise level routers, switches, and NAS devices (large amount I deal with have OSes that are an offshoot of a Linux OS).