Switching from desktop to laptop

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm getting a laptop for Christmas to replace my desktop. I'll be using it mostly for coding, video editing (using After Effects) and gaming. I currently have the following storage devices on my desktop 

• 1TB Seagate Barracuda
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • 240 Samsung EVO 840
  • 120 Samsung RBX

So the laptop I'm getting will probably come with a 128GB mSATA SSD, and I'm not sure which option would be better for me in terms of storage. I need a store a lot of data for my video projects, my templates, and my games too. I'm torn between

• selling all my current drives then buy a 2TB 2,5" HDD
  • selling all my current drives except the 240GB SSD, then buy an external drive (not sure if that would be ideal for gaming)
  • keeping my drives, and buy a dock
  • buying a 2TB SSHD

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Build a NAS using the existing computer? Just place in more driver for raid. 

Magical Pineapples

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

I'm getting a laptop for Christmas to replace my desktop. I'll be using it mostly for coding, video editing (using After Effects) and gaming. I currently have the following storage devices on my desktop 

• 1TB Seagate Barracuda
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • 240 Samsung EVO 840
  • 120 Samsung RBX

So the laptop I'm getting will probably come with a 128GB mSATA SSD, and I'm not sure which option would be better for me in terms of storage. I need a store a lot of data for my video projects, my templates, and my games too. I'm torn between

• selling all my current drives then buy a 2TB 2,5" HDD
  • selling all my current drives except the 240GB SSD, then buy an external drive (not sure if that would be ideal for gaming)
  • keeping my drives, and buy a dock
  • buying a 2TB SSHD

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Depending on what laptop you buy, you may be able to put up to two 2.5in drives inside

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Build a NAS using the existing computer? Just place in more driver for raid. 

I will sell it, and I wouldn't mind selling all the drives too. A NAS wouldn't be ideal for gaming anyway.

1 minute ago, Thermosman said:

Depending on what laptop you buy, you may be able to put up to two 2.5in drives inside

The one I'm interested in only can only have 1 mSATA drive and 1 2.5" drive.

6 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

The one I'm interested in only can only have 1 mSATA drive and 1 2.5" drive.

It also most likely has a m.2 slot

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

just get a couple harddrive docks, and possibly a 1TB extra in your laptop itself. make sure you have a slot for one. that way you have enough data at home, and some for when you are not home. 

She/Her

So, just to be clear.  OP will have a small SSD in his laptop, so lot's of his data will be on the other hard drive storage (including games etc).

I'd see if there are empty drive bays like @Thermosman said.

Otherwise, get a big, moderatly fast external hard drive which is like 2-4 TB.  You can pick, it really should be pretty easy.

1 hour ago, ArduinoBen said:

Otherwise, get a big, moderatly fast external hard drive which is like 2-4 TB.  You can pick, it really should be pretty easy.

or get a 2 or 4 bay external enclosure and put the existing hard drives in it and use it for backups and mass storage of files and programs where speed doesn't really matter. however you can certainly game off an external enclosure (USB 3.0) since the speed of the drives will not saturate the 5gb speed limit of usb3. you will lose a small amount of read/write due to how they function over usb but it's still a very valid option

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒