Intel Nervana

NumLock21

Intel is planning to ship their first Intel Nervana NNP by the end of this year. NNP stands for Neural Network Processor and the Intel Nervana was specifically designed for deep learning. The NNP can be used in a wide range of application like,

weather prediction and autonomous vehicles to targeted advertising on social media.

Code name Lake Crest, Intel Nervana will have,

HBM2, FlexPoint, cacheless software memory management, and a high-speed interconnect. On the technical side of matters, the details remain the same from previous reports. Intel states that the NNP does not have a "standard cache hierarchy," however it does still have on-chip memory for performance reasons (I expect serving as registers and the like). Managing that memory is done by software, taking advantage of deep learning workloads where operations and memory accesses are mostly known before execution. Subsequently, the lack of cache controllers and coherency logic frees up die space. Otherwise for off-die memory, the processor has 32GB of HBM2 (4 8-Hi 1GB stacks) on the shared interposer, resulting in 8 terabits/s of access bandwidth.

It will be send to selected customers and one of them will be Facebook because they have actually collaborated with Intel on designing the Neural Network Processor. It will compete against Nvidia's deep learning hardware, their Volta based Tesla.

0002_family-1_678x452.jpg

intel_2016_ai_day__pathfinding_and_hardw

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11942/intel-shipping-nervana-neural-network-processor-first-silicon-before-year-end

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Good to see more manufacturers adopting HBM even if its mostly just in the High end/research space.

I prefer Kurt Cobain's Nirvana, TBH.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, tjcater said:

Good to see more manufacturers adopting HBM even if its mostly just in the High end/research space.

Yup, but it also explains a lot of the HBM2 issues. 

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No, bad Intel. Now go sit in the corner and think about what you did.

Would you rather they just shoot annoying advertisement like a decade ago?

The ads nowadays are actually pretty decent, not totally intrusive if the site you are visiting is legit. 

12 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Would you rather they just shoot annoying advertisement like a decade ago?

The ads nowadays are actually pretty decent, not totally intrusive if the site you are visiting is legit. 

Quality of ads isn't the point or the issue. A great ad is a great ad, there are many I've seen that I like very much on TV and on the Internet. Using AI or other large computational resources to mass collect information and specifically target an individual is different, ads are not the issue.

How do you think good ads get into a viewer's eye?

just because one guy like car ads doesnt mean i like car ads, that's what this is going to fix.

send ads that people will actually look at.

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Quality of ads isn't the point or the issue. A great ad is a great ad, there are many I've seen that I like very much on TV and on the Internet. Using AI or other large computational resources to mass collect information and specifically target an individual is different, ads are not the issue.

eg: the annoying car ads on youtube. If any ad is to pop up for me then i want to see it food related.

22 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

How do you think good ads get into a viewer's eye?

just because one guy like car ads doesnt mean i like car ads, that's what this is going to fix.

send ads that people will actually look at.

eg: the annoying car ads on youtube. If any ad is to pop up for me then i want to see it food related.

There are other ways to achieve this without using AI, it's actually very simple. Target ads to the content so it's relevant to subject material and therefore likely to the viewer.

To me this isn't even mostly about privacy or data collection, something you should think about much more deeply than you appear to have been doing, but about wasted resources and funds. This whole endeavour of pumping money in to the advertising industry is more than a waste of money it's essentially stealing money out of the economy that could be used for much more productive things.

To be clear I support ad makers and people in advertising and marketing roles, those jobs are required and provide people with jobs and opportunities to branch out to other areas of their wider chosen field if they wish. Dumping ridiculous amounts money and resources in to computer science research to facilitate advertising I do not and will never support.

This is off topic anyway so if you want to discuss it more create a topic for it but to be frank refer to last sentence, my view on it isn't going to change. 

7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

weather prediction and autonomous vehicles

Yes great, do this.

7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

targeted advertising on social media.

This is bad, do not do this.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

There are other ways to achieve this without using AI, it's actually very simple. Target ads to the content so it's relevant to subject material and therefore likely to the viewer.

To me this isn't even mostly about privacy or data collection, something you should think about much more deeply than you appear to have been doing, but about wasted resources and funds. This whole endeavour of pumping money in to the advertising industry is more than a waste of money it's essentially stealing money out of the economy that could be used for much more productive things.

well then i guess we have very different opinions on what is considered wasted resource so ill end it here. 

Tensor based architecture

Seems everyone is moving in this direction. Wonder how long before tensor optimized units take over for training too, or is that what Nirvana is supposed to be for?

Compete against. We'd advance so much faster if companies would just work together. Granted that will never happen, but one can dream. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red