Dusted out my pc, now it barely works.

Ok, second time writing this. First time my pc shut off in the middle of writing (more on that later).

So i decided to dust out my PC today. I like a nice clean pc and more airflow is better imo. I'm a pretty experienced system builder (used to work as a repair technician in a pc shop) so i'm pretty confident when it comes to disassembly and reassembly.

I took apart my pc and blew out all the dust using a balloon pump which has always been my go-to dusting tool due to its lack of static and reusability. After dusting everything out I put all my components back into my pc, i plugged it back into the wall and attached all my peripherals just as it was before i took it apart. I booted it up and after about 30 seconds on windows, the cursor froze and i got a back screen.

I started trouble shooting my problems by removing components (graphics card and non-essential drives) the best result i got was when my pc booted but my cpu was running at around 0.2 - 0.8 Ghz. After i had about 10 minutes of stability, i thought it would be a swell idea to come to the LTT forums to talk about my issue. Well like i said, half way through my writing, my pc flickered a black screen at me, and shut off. By this point i'd already come to the conclusion that my OCZ 550w psu from a few years ago had finally died. I think that my dusting may have caused this (oops). Either that or a motherboard fault, as unlikely as that would be, considering that the motherboard is the only part of my pc that i didn't remove. Is there anything i should be considering before going out and buying a new PSU?

I didn't post this in the power supply section of the forum because I'm honestly not 100% sure it's my PSU as likely as it might be.

Specs:

Core i5-6500 at 3.2Ghz

8gb DDR4-2133 ram

Gainward Phoenix GTX 1070 Graphics card.

MSI Mortar b150m Motherboard.

OCZ Fatal1ty 550w 50+ White power supply (RIP)

TLDR; Computer machine broke, might be psu. What do?

test with a new psu? is there a possibility that you can use a "donor" system to transplant parts to make sure it all works to eliminate problems

did you remove the static electricity from your body when you took it apart? 

and test it with another psu.

She/Her

1 minute ago, ImNotThere said:

test with a new psu? is there a possibility that you can use a "donor" system to transplant parts to make sure it all works to eliminate problems

Unfortunately, i don't have a spare PSU. None of my friends are the kinds of people to have power supplies lying around either. So I'm kinda screwed.

Just now, firelighter487 said:

did you remove the static electricity from your body when you took it apart? 

and test it with another psu.

I always work with bare feet, and regularly ground myself on either a metal bench or the psu so static electricity was not the issue at all.

it seems like PSU imho

other things that come into mind: did you take off your cpu cooler when dusting it? maybe you put it back on incorrectly

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

1 minute ago, Yoford said:

I always work with bare feet, and regularly ground myself on either a metal bench or the psu so static electricity was not the issue at all.

grounding yourself on the psu won't do anything if it's not plugged in.

She/Her

1 minute ago, Alesek said:

it seems like PSU imho

other things that come into mind: did you take off your cpu cooler when dusting it? maybe you put it back on incorrectly

Nah, never touched it. I did a bit of digging around in my bios to see if something changed and even reset the CMOS but to no evail.

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

grounding yourself on the psu won't do anything if it's not plugged in.

It was plugged in ;p

plus i never experienced any static shocks during both disassembly or reassembly

you could try to unplug every power connector, and plugging it all back in.

1 minute ago, Yoford said:

It was plugged in ;p

plus i never experienced any static shocks during both disassembly or reassembly

i didn't know it was plugged in. also, you can have static shocks, even if you don't feel them or see them.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

you could try to unplug every power connector, and plugging it all back in.

i didn't know it was plugged in. also, you can have static shocks, even if you don't feel them or see them.

Hm, well it could be possible that i zapped the psu without realising it. Which sucks because I'm always so careful about it.

you could also try to disassemble the whole thing and run it outside of the case, in case there is a short somewhere

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

For static to kill anything you would need a strong shock and even just touching the case would be enough for the energy to dissipate with no harm done. 

I had a CPU in my pocket for 3 weeks and it still works fine

Plus zapping a psu is really hard as the psu's case will work like a Faraday'cage

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Plus zapping a psu is really hard as the psu's case will work like a Faraday'cage

So it's probably either just old age + me pushing it over the edge by being a little too rigorous with my cleaning like i first thought.

56 minutes ago, Yoford said:

Unfortunately, i don't have a spare PSU. None of my friends are the kinds of people to have power supplies lying around either. So I'm kinda screwed.

Shame you aren't friends with me, I have a 550w psu lying around which I was too lazy to sell. Do you still have a warranty on your PSU?

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

1 hour ago, Yoford said:

Ok, second time writing this. First time my pc shut off in the middle of writing (more on that later).

So i decided to dust out my PC today. I like a nice clean pc and more airflow is better imo. I'm a pretty experienced system builder (used to work as a repair technician in a pc shop) so i'm pretty confident when it comes to disassembly and reassembly.

I took apart my pc and blew out all the dust using a balloon pump which has always been my go-to dusting tool due to its lack of static and reusability. After dusting everything out I put all my components back into my pc, i plugged it back into the wall and attached all my peripherals just as it was before i took it apart. I booted it up and after about 30 seconds on windows, the cursor froze and i got a back screen.

I started trouble shooting my problems by removing components (graphics card and non-essential drives) the best result i got was when my pc booted but my cpu was running at around 0.2 - 0.8 Ghz. After i had about 10 minutes of stability, i thought it would be a swell idea to come to the LTT forums to talk about my issue. Well like i said, half way through my writing, my pc flickered a black screen at me, and shut off. By this point i'd already come to the conclusion that my OCZ 550w psu from a few years ago had finally died. I think that my dusting may have caused this (oops). Either that or a motherboard fault, as unlikely as that would be, considering that the motherboard is the only part of my pc that i didn't remove. Is there anything i should be considering before going out and buying a new PSU?

I didn't post this in the power supply section of the forum because I'm honestly not 100% sure it's my PSU as likely as it might be.

Specs:

Core i5-6500 at 3.2Ghz

8gb DDR4-2133 ram

Double or even triple check all the connections, if it doesn't help test it with another PSU.

On 10/10/2017 at 2:50 PM, Yoford said:

Specs:

Core i5-6500 at 3.2Ghz

8gb DDR4-2133 ram

Check if out and the thermal paste didn't become dry lol

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

31 minutes ago, A Silver said:

Shame you aren't friends with me, I have a 550w psu lying around which I was too lazy to sell. Do you still have a warranty on your PSU?

Nah, 3 year warranty, 5 years old. Besides, i was gonna upgrade anyway, I have bigger ambitions than what 550w can supply </3

Necro time: Bought a new PSU and pc works perfectly lul