Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pierom_qwerty

"Innovtion" from Apple

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So as we all know, we aren't allowed to start flame wars on this forum, but I just wanted to put it out there, that Apple is way behind on face recognition. First off, does anybody here know about the Samsung Nexus? No, not the Google Nexus, the Samsung Nexus, from 2011. Here is the thing. My little brother had that, and it had face recognition.

 

So Apple comes along saying that their face recognition is all the jazz and stuff, and it doesn't even work on stage.

 

Not trying to start a flamewar, just putting that out there.

 

oof


yeet me into the void daddy linus

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

"Innovtion" from Apple

Yeah, Apple isn't very innovtive


CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 840 Series 128GB | 1 x Seagate 1TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

 

 

GTX 1060 vs RX 480 (old)

Link to post
Share on other sites

My galaxy s3 from 2013 had some kind of face recogniton so yeah, I don't think it was "innovation" really


 
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

and it doesn't even work on stage.

 

Not trying to start a flamewar, just putting that out there.

yeah. sure you're not.

 

/thread.

 

HOW it does facial recognition is the innovation.


[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

 

 

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

yeah. sure you're not.

 

/thread.

 

HOW it does facial recognition is the innovation.

i see

 

to be truthful i didnt actually watch it, i just listened to the news

 

an L on my part


yeet me into the void daddy linus

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully people don't turn this into a flame war, because this could actually become a constructive discussion about companies who invent vs. companies who perfect, or in Apple's case, companies who "perfect" in their own walled garden. But I'm willing to bet a box of TimBits that it's not going to get 5 pages in before the thread either needs to be locked or it explodes with fanboy-ism.

 

I used to be an Apple hater myself, but have come to realize their products are right for certain peoples' needs and thus they're not unlike any other consumer electronic company out there. However, I am indeed getting sick of the general public not doing their research and buying the product with the best marketing / advertising campaigns, even if it's not actually the best device for them.

 

Yes, that's an ignorance problem, and no I really shouldn't care about it so long as I'm happy with the devices I use. But I do, and that's because companies make what the general population want to buy, which means that eventually we won't even be able to buy alternative products to Apple / Samsung / Microsoft / etc. because no one will care or be informed enough to question the choices presented to them.


Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a longtime apple phone user  (3s, 4s, 6, and now 7Plus) I have to sadly admit, you are correct.  Jobs is dead, and the new Apple no longer leads. 

The processors are impressive, more powerful than the equivalent Qualcom, but the hardware has just fallen in line with the competition.  Jobs was no Messiah, but he wouldn't have taken no for an answer on the fingerprint OLED issue.  He would have pushed until it was done somehow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the differentiation between Iphone X and past face recognition is that they mentioned something about an infrared laser sensor. 

Quote

The head and face movements are tracked by a new 3D laser/sensor on the front of the phone.

Unsure if previous face recognition had this specialized sensor, correct me if i'm wrong, but I think all the past solutions have been using just a camera.

 

Source: https://www.fastcompany.com/40466451/apple-iphone-x-has-a-huge-screen-facial-recognition-and-ar-powers


I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Hopefully people don't turn this into a flame war, because this could actually become a constructive discussion about companies who invent vs. companies who perfect, or in Apple's case, companies who "perfect" in their own walled garden. But I'm willing to bet a box of TimBits that it's not going to get 5 pages in before the thread either needs to be locked or it explodes with fanboy-ism.

 

I used to be an Apple hater myself, but have come to realize their products are right for certain peoples' needs and thus they're not unlike any other consumer electronic company out there. However, I am indeed getting sick of the general public not doing their research and buying the product with the best marketing / advertising campaigns, even if it's not actually the best device for them.

 

Yes, that's an ignorance problem, and no I really shouldn't care about it so long as I'm happy with the devices I use. But I do, and that's because companies make what the general population want to buy, which means that eventually we won't even be able to buy alternative products to Apple / Samsung / Microsoft / etc. because no one will care or be informed enough to question the choices presented to them.

my story is the same as yours. my old Literature teacher would always point out to me the hacks in windows, and not listen to me about multiple new ransom wares for Macs. I am fine with their products, but with what they cost, they could do better. Just look at "BrandSins"'s Video on Everything Wrong With Apple. It is very educational.


yeet me into the void daddy linus

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

As a longtime apple phone user  (3s, 4s, 6, and now 7Plus) I have to sadly admit, you are correct.  Jobs is dead, and the new Apple no longer leads. 

The processors are impressive, more powerful than the equivalent Qualcom, but the hardware has just fallen in line with the competition.  Jobs was no Messiah, but he wouldn't have taken no for an answer on the fingerprint OLED issue.  He would have pushed until it was done somehow.

Jobs pushed for real innovation. I actually liked him as the CEO of apple


yeet me into the void daddy linus

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

No, Apple did face recognition and wireless charging... So it's REVOLUTIONARY 

i cant tell if you are being sarcastic, but /samsung


yeet me into the void daddy linus

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Innovation in apple's terms is not creating something new, it's doing something well, they did not claime that they did face recognition first. they say that there implementation is innovative. Like Touch ID on the 5S that worked way better then any other phone with finger print detection at that time.

 

There FaceID tech is not new, but to my knowledge the first time this is used on a phone. The S8 uses iris detecting and the X uses a 3d map (like Windows Hello does, on desktop not the Lumia 950xl that is also iris)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this was mentioned but the innovation is that it uses some projector to detect the shape and everything, other phones just use a picture


Mark 16: 15

“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

 

My Rig:

CPU: R7 1700 OC to 3.8 

MOBO: Asrock ab350 Pro4

RAM: 8gb (2x4) Corsair 2666 ddr4 @2800

STORAGE: 1tb Toshiba HDD; 120 GB Toshiba SSD

GPU: GTX 980ti hybrid

PSU: CX750M

PERIPHERALS: Logitech G910, G930; G602; LG 29in Ultrawide, Toshiba 28in TV; Water Dancing Speakers

 

 

 

Other Devices:

Asus Chromebook C201

Samsung Galaxy S8

Xbox 360

Xbox One S

Nintendo Switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

I don't know if this was mentioned but the innovation is that it uses some projector to detect the shape and everything, other phones just use a picture

Although maybe innovation isn't the right word. They really just improved on it, apple really just comes out with features late but they're the best implemented. Like ar for example


Mark 16: 15

“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

 

My Rig:

CPU: R7 1700 OC to 3.8 

MOBO: Asrock ab350 Pro4

RAM: 8gb (2x4) Corsair 2666 ddr4 @2800

STORAGE: 1tb Toshiba HDD; 120 GB Toshiba SSD

GPU: GTX 980ti hybrid

PSU: CX750M

PERIPHERALS: Logitech G910, G930; G602; LG 29in Ultrawide, Toshiba 28in TV; Water Dancing Speakers

 

 

 

Other Devices:

Asus Chromebook C201

Samsung Galaxy S8

Xbox 360

Xbox One S

Nintendo Switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CommandMan7 said:

I believe the differentiation between Iphone X and past face recognition is that they mentioned something about an infrared laser sensor. 

Unsure if previous face recognition had this specialized sensor, correct me if i'm wrong, but I think all the past solutions have been using just a camera.

 

Source: https://www.fastcompany.com/40466451/apple-iphone-x-has-a-huge-screen-facial-recognition-and-ar-powers

This is correct. Although I know windows hello uses some kind of sensor


Mark 16: 15

“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

 

My Rig:

CPU: R7 1700 OC to 3.8 

MOBO: Asrock ab350 Pro4

RAM: 8gb (2x4) Corsair 2666 ddr4 @2800

STORAGE: 1tb Toshiba HDD; 120 GB Toshiba SSD

GPU: GTX 980ti hybrid

PSU: CX750M

PERIPHERALS: Logitech G910, G930; G602; LG 29in Ultrawide, Toshiba 28in TV; Water Dancing Speakers

 

 

 

Other Devices:

Asus Chromebook C201

Samsung Galaxy S8

Xbox 360

Xbox One S

Nintendo Switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, djneo said:

Innovation in apple's terms is not creating something new, it's doing something well, they did not claime that they did face recognition first. they say that there implementation is innovative. Like Touch ID on the 5S that worked way better then any other phone with finger print detection at that time.

 

There FaceID tech is not new, but to my knowledge the first time this is used on a phone. The S8 uses iris detecting and the X uses a 3d map (like Windows Hello does, on desktop not the Lumia 950xl that is also iris)

The Samsung(not google) Nexus, from 2011, used the camera to detect the face just fine.


yeet me into the void daddy linus

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Implosivetech said:

The Samsung(not google) Nexus, from 2011, used the camera to detect the face just fine.

but it could be fooled.

 

that's the whole idea of 3d mapping. security.


[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

 

 

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×