"Innovtion" from Apple

piemadd

So as we all know, we aren't allowed to start flame wars on this forum, but I just wanted to put it out there, that Apple is way behind on face recognition. First off, does anybody here know about the Samsung Nexus? No, not the Google Nexus, the Samsung Nexus, from 2011. Here is the thing. My little brother had that, and it had face recognition.

So Apple comes along saying that their face recognition is all the jazz and stuff, and it doesn't even work on stage.

Not trying to start a flamewar, just putting that out there.

oof

i like trains 🙂

"Innovtion" from Apple

Yeah, Apple isn't very innovtive

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

My galaxy s3 from 2013 had some kind of face recogniton so yeah, I don't think it was "innovation" really

5 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

and it doesn't even work on stage.

Not trying to start a flamewar, just putting that out there.

yeah. sure you're not.

/thread.

HOW it does facial recognition is the innovation.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

yeah. sure you're not.

/thread.

HOW it does facial recognition is the innovation.

i see

to be truthful i didnt actually watch it, i just listened to the news

an L on my part

i like trains 🙂

Hopefully people don't turn this into a flame war, because this could actually become a constructive discussion about companies who invent vs. companies who perfect, or in Apple's case, companies who "perfect" in their own walled garden. But I'm willing to bet a box of TimBits that it's not going to get 5 pages in before the thread either needs to be locked or it explodes with fanboy-ism.

I used to be an Apple hater myself, but have come to realize their products are right for certain peoples' needs and thus they're not unlike any other consumer electronic company out there. However, I am indeed getting sick of the general public not doing their research and buying the product with the best marketing / advertising campaigns, even if it's not actually the best device for them.

Yes, that's an ignorance problem, and no I really shouldn't care about it so long as I'm happy with the devices I use. But I do, and that's because companies make what the general population want to buy, which means that eventually we won't even be able to buy alternative products to Apple / Samsung / Microsoft / etc. because no one will care or be informed enough to question the choices presented to them.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

As a longtime apple phone user  (3s, 4s, 6, and now 7Plus) I have to sadly admit, you are correct.  Jobs is dead, and the new Apple no longer leads. 

The processors are impressive, more powerful than the equivalent Qualcom, but the hardware has just fallen in line with the competition.  Jobs was no Messiah, but he wouldn't have taken no for an answer on the fingerprint OLED issue.  He would have pushed until it was done somehow.

I believe the differentiation between Iphone X and past face recognition is that they mentioned something about an infrared laser sensor. 

The head and face movements are tracked by a new 3D laser/sensor on the front of the phone.

Unsure if previous face recognition had this specialized sensor, correct me if i'm wrong, but I think all the past solutions have been using just a camera.

Source: https://www.fastcompany.com/40466451/apple-iphone-x-has-a-huge-screen-facial-recognition-and-ar-powers

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Hopefully people don't turn this into a flame war, because this could actually become a constructive discussion about companies who invent vs. companies who perfect, or in Apple's case, companies who "perfect" in their own walled garden. But I'm willing to bet a box of TimBits that it's not going to get 5 pages in before the thread either needs to be locked or it explodes with fanboy-ism.

I used to be an Apple hater myself, but have come to realize their products are right for certain peoples' needs and thus they're not unlike any other consumer electronic company out there. However, I am indeed getting sick of the general public not doing their research and buying the product with the best marketing / advertising campaigns, even if it's not actually the best device for them.

Yes, that's an ignorance problem, and no I really shouldn't care about it so long as I'm happy with the devices I use. But I do, and that's because companies make what the general population want to buy, which means that eventually we won't even be able to buy alternative products to Apple / Samsung / Microsoft / etc. because no one will care or be informed enough to question the choices presented to them.

my story is the same as yours. my old Literature teacher would always point out to me the hacks in windows, and not listen to me about multiple new ransom wares for Macs. I am fine with their products, but with what they cost, they could do better. Just look at "BrandSins"'s Video on Everything Wrong With Apple. It is very educational.

i like trains 🙂

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

As a longtime apple phone user  (3s, 4s, 6, and now 7Plus) I have to sadly admit, you are correct.  Jobs is dead, and the new Apple no longer leads. 

The processors are impressive, more powerful than the equivalent Qualcom, but the hardware has just fallen in line with the competition.  Jobs was no Messiah, but he wouldn't have taken no for an answer on the fingerprint OLED issue.  He would have pushed until it was done somehow.

Jobs pushed for real innovation. I actually liked him as the CEO of apple

i like trains 🙂

No, Apple did face recognition and wireless charging... So it's REVOLUTIONARY 

11 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

No, Apple did face recognition and wireless charging... So it's REVOLUTIONARY 

i cant tell if you are being sarcastic, but /samsung

i like trains 🙂

Innovation in apple's terms is not creating something new, it's doing something well, they did not claime that they did face recognition first. they say that there implementation is innovative. Like Touch ID on the 5S that worked way better then any other phone with finger print detection at that time.

There FaceID tech is not new, but to my knowledge the first time this is used on a phone. The S8 uses iris detecting and the X uses a 3d map (like Windows Hello does, on desktop not the Lumia 950xl that is also iris)

I don't know if this was mentioned but the innovation is that it uses some projector to detect the shape and everything, other phones just use a picture

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

I don't know if this was mentioned but the innovation is that it uses some projector to detect the shape and everything, other phones just use a picture

Although maybe innovation isn't the right word. They really just improved on it, apple really just comes out with features late but they're the best implemented. Like ar for example

19 hours ago, CommandMan7 said:

I believe the differentiation between Iphone X and past face recognition is that they mentioned something about an infrared laser sensor. 

Unsure if previous face recognition had this specialized sensor, correct me if i'm wrong, but I think all the past solutions have been using just a camera.

Source: https://www.fastcompany.com/40466451/apple-iphone-x-has-a-huge-screen-facial-recognition-and-ar-powers

This is correct. Although I know windows hello uses some kind of sensor

3 hours ago, djneo said:

Innovation in apple's terms is not creating something new, it's doing something well, they did not claime that they did face recognition first. they say that there implementation is innovative. Like Touch ID on the 5S that worked way better then any other phone with finger print detection at that time.

There FaceID tech is not new, but to my knowledge the first time this is used on a phone. The S8 uses iris detecting and the X uses a 3d map (like Windows Hello does, on desktop not the Lumia 950xl that is also iris)

The Samsung(not google) Nexus, from 2011, used the camera to detect the face just fine.

i like trains 🙂

1 hour ago, Implosivetech said:

The Samsung(not google) Nexus, from 2011, used the camera to detect the face just fine.

but it could be fooled.

that's the whole idea of 3d mapping. security.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic