Can 144hz monitor show more than 144hz? Fps lock worth it?

JahtanI
Go to solution Solved by SHOOK_Linus,

1. Technically, no, but also yes, when it is at or below 144 fps, it shows the number of FPS it has, but if it is above 144 fps, the system has more frames to work with and in theory (and from what I've seen) it does help increase

2. If the monitor has G-Sync, it shows a complete frame each time, thus, no tearing, but no there are no drawbacks, if anything, its better to have more. Also V-Sync will lock to the refresh rate of the displaying monitor

2. I basically would say never set an FPS lock unless your SUPER PARANOID about temps, because it just limits your system's capabilities

I've seen videos from Linus on youtube and was hoping I could get some help here.

1: Can a 144hz monitor show more than 144 frames?

2: Is there any drawback to viewing more frames than the refresh rate? (I've heard about screen tearing but not too knowledgable about this). Also is vsync good? I guess that locks it to your monitor... yeah

3: Does your system automatically run at full throttle to achieve the max frames possible? Like is it worth it to set a fps lock? I'm guessing it obviously puts less load on your computer but I see people play games at max fps.

If you could educate me I'd appreciate that. Upgrading from a low performance laptop to my first Gaming/Workstation Computer. I've learnt alot in the past month.

#1 Yes if you meant FPS., Generally lowery latency times.

#2 Yes and no, Vsync Imo is fucking garbage unless you have really low end hardware. 

$4 It generally depends on the game, if its framerate is unlimited or not. Some games just let it run as high as it can, most are capped at 144, 200, or 300 fps with abilitys to unlock them.

1) No, the monitor does not stop showing frames after one second. The monitor can show more frames per second if you overclock it, if that was what you mean.

2) Not really, higher frame rates just make the screen more responsive. At 144hz, screen tearing is not noticeable.

Vsync is useless because screen tearing is not an issue.

3) Yes, it does, unless you have limited it in power options OR the game specifically limits the maximum FPS (some retro games do this).

1. No

2. More GPU/CPU load (without a fps lock they will run as high as they can) Vsync causes input lag and is not ideal for competitive games. 

3. Yes, Not worth it in most cases

Newer technologies like fastsync exist and it is a great option if you have lots of frames to work with.

1. Technically, no, but also yes, when it is at or below 144 fps, it shows the number of FPS it has, but if it is above 144 fps, the system has more frames to work with and in theory (and from what I've seen) it does help increase

2. If the monitor has G-Sync, it shows a complete frame each time, thus, no tearing, but no there are no drawbacks, if anything, its better to have more. Also V-Sync will lock to the refresh rate of the displaying monitor

2. I basically would say never set an FPS lock unless your SUPER PARANOID about temps, because it just limits your system's capabilities

4 minutes ago, JahtanI said:

Can a 144hz monitor show more than 144 frames

no

5 minutes ago, JahtanI said:

Is there any drawback to viewing more frames than the refresh rate

no , other than you wont see the frames

6 minutes ago, JahtanI said:

Does your system automatically run at full throttle to achieve the max frames possible?

essentially , it'll play it as fast as it's allowed to

Thanks for the quick replies, they're very helpful!

Awesome that I could get this much response in such a short time.

1. No, a 144Hz monitor cannot display more than 144 FPS unless it can overclock to 165Hz.
  2. There is no drawback to letting the FPS exceed your monitor's refresh, except for tearing. There is a benefit, which is allowing the engine to process inputs faster. Vsync adds input lag, and so does GSync. If you have a GSync monitor, it's best to cap your FPS to 140 FPS if you want to minimize input lag.
  3. No FPS lock means your system will run as hard as it can to push as many frames per second as possible. This will put more stress on your parts, and produce more thermal exhaust.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H