Bottleneck

Hey there!

So, I'm looking into purchasing a new GPU, mainly for the reason that my gaming experience is slowly dwindling as the fps is getting lower and lower. 

My current gpu is a GTX 760, it's done wonders for the past couple years but its time for an upgrade, I was thinking of a 1070.

I was looking into upgrading my whole pc, but I do not have a high enough budget to purchase a graphics card along with all the other components, so I thought I might buy just the GPU.

My current build: 

- CPU: i7 4770k @4.5Ghz

- GPU: GTX 760

- MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3

- RAM: 16GB Naked Kingston sticks 

I have concerns that it would be a dumb thing to just upgrade the gpu, I'm fairly confident that the cpu will bottleneck me to such a length that it wouldn't even be worth purchasing the gpu.

My questions:

Will the CPU Bottleneck the gpu to a point of making it obsolete?

Should I go for an older card like a 970, and save a couple more hundred euro to upgrade the whole PC?

Are there any other options?

Thank you for taking your time to read this, Ryan.

Depends on the game, res and settings. I use my 1080 with my 3770k and leave my 4790k to my old cards. You should be fine, if you do have an issue, could always use the frame limiter.

I have a few issues sometimes with capping out the cpu, some games don't care some do.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

No, you're fine with that CPU :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

your cpu is all good man, have absolutely no concern. you can even get a gtx1080 and have no bottleneck in most games.

Oh great! That really put my mind to ease. I really appreciate all of your comments and thanks :)