How to get rid of start menu adds

Surpuppa
Go to solution Solved by viperchr,

like ryan said they are not ads but actual apps preloaded in windows 10 which most all of the can be uninstalled through settings by going to the apps section, finding the one you don't want there and simply telling it to uninstall. for the rare few that will not allow uninstallation you could simply unpin them from the start menu. no need to try running any codes or anything like that.

I watched this video 

and I type in the command, Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Remove-AppxPackage, but nothing happens. All I get is "Access Denied". What did I do wrong? Is it not possible to change anymore?

Start menu ads?  Never heard of it

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

What are start menu ads can u show us a picture 

do u mean the ads on the windows menu when you push the windows button?

Because for those you just right click and push remove or uninstall 

OP linked a video at the exact spot...come on guys.

They mean things like the junk that comes pre-pinned to the start menu like Solitaire ect.

I watched a clip from that video, and if those preloaded shortcuts are what you mean (not really ads but ok), you can just right click them and "unpin from start" or "uninstall" in some cases.  No different than shortcuts on your desktop to preinstalled programs like WMP, IE, or default shortcuts to MSN, etc. really.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Take a look at the "windows 10 decrapifier" powershell script made by user Csand on Spiceworks. Works wonders, just make sure to read the instructions on what you're doing.

Otherwise just follow what Ryan_Vickers said, and right click, uninstall.

like ryan said they are not ads but actual apps preloaded in windows 10 which most all of the can be uninstalled through settings by going to the apps section, finding the one you don't want there and simply telling it to uninstall. for the rare few that will not allow uninstallation you could simply unpin them from the start menu. no need to try running any codes or anything like that.

Just now, viperchr said:

I marked yours solved but thanks to everyone else who helped aswell!

You can also right-click on pick Uninstall... if they are no "Uninstall" option, pick Unpin (those are just links to the Store which will download, install and run the app/game).

But checkout the Settings panel of Windows 10, go settings by settings, you can customize quite a few things to your liking and disable anything you don't want or have different.

Also that command you typed, would have wiped ALL apps, and you would have been royally screwed. Like Windows re-installed screwed. Please know what you are doing before doing anything. You got blocked because you put the argument "alluser" so you need elevated credentials for this as it affects more than just your account. If there is anything, we would gladly help... don't do what some idiot on YouTube says. They are A LOT of crap being said on many things... Many people don't bother reading the docs, and people just read what they found on the web on some comment probably for something else and repeat. And most YouTubers are looking for views over giving you actual helpful advice. Then I have to help those people to fix their system. PLEASE, please please, read the documentations. Microsoft has massive amount of it. If it a bore, we will gladly help giving your the quick answer. I haven't seen the video, but let me guess, "Windows 10 spying on you", telemetry data is not spying, it is nothing new to Windows. It was introduced since Windows XP. Nvidia has theirs, all large web sites have theirs, and this topic was talked to death here, and Microsoft provides everything it collects.. beside using Bing and associated service (example: Cortana), no personal information is collected.

34 minutes ago, Surpuppa said:

and I type in the command, Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Remove-AppxPackage, but nothing happens. All I get is "Access Denied". What did I do wrong? Is it not possible to change anymore?

The commands he typed in activated a package/program that he wrote or got that removes certain things from his pc. It is not something included in Windows by default.

Just to answer your original question.

;)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER