AMD increasing Vega 64 Pricing above official MSRP

tom_w141
4 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Many of 56 CU R9 Fury's could be unlocked to 64 CU's.

Also that, forgot to mention that. But the Fury is memory bottlenecked mainly, so the cut cores barely mattered anyway 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Also that, forgot to mention that. But the Fury is memory bottlenecked mainly, so the cut cores barely mattered anyway 

It's not as bad of a bottleneck as you'd think.  Yeah, if you just put all the sliders to the right it'll perform like crap, but there's a lot of tuning you can do to keep within the 4 gigs of vram without noticably hurting graphics quality by much.  I'm getting by just fine with mine at 4K.

Then again that might just be a relic of me owning midrange hardware all my life.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

3 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

It's not as bad of a bottleneck as you'd think.  Yeah, if you just put all the sliders to the right it'll perform like crap, but there's a lot of tuning you can do to keep within the 4 gigs of vram without noticably hurting graphics quality by much.  I'm getting by just fine with mine at 4K.

Then again that might just be a relic of me owning midrange hardware all my life.

It's the speed not quantity that's the problem

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Source: https://videocardz.com/71776/amd-is-trying-to-sell-radeon-rx-vega-64-at-a-higher-price

598c5377a52aa_vegawtf.PNG.832ee69caf45f34c8413bb64c97627a7.PNG

So it appears AMD is telling retailers to sell Vega above the original MSRP and not just that the standard (black) version is being sold at the same cost as the limited edition. The difference is the limited edition has an aluminium shroud, which admittedly looks better but not $100 worth of better... Kind of a dick move in my opinion when their product isn't even that great to begin with. Matching a 1080 at 499 is borderline acceptable. Matching a 1080 and straying toward 1080Ti prices?! WTF... Your opinions?

If Vega 64 really is going to be sold here for £700, it's dead on arrival. I've also no idea why the Euro price is 599, if true. 

I mean, at this point they may have looked at the mining potential of Vega and how all the resellers were going to severely upmark anyway and decided fuck it they may as well get as much profit as possible off the cards to set themselves up better for Navi.

14 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I like the theory that AMD realized they could keep a stash themselves at one of their facilities with low electricity costs and are doing racks of mining themselves. :)

More likely is that preorders have already eaten up most of the pipeline already, so they can charge higher prices to make more money while limiting the sell-through rate. While seemingly annoying for the consumer, it's probably a decent sign that AMD is still expecting this to sell well enough.

Random fun fact, Intel was going to make a dedicated ASIC for BTC mining, but bailed on the idea when they realized Asians could do it at lower operating cost.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)