I want to switch to Linux, need advice

On 8/10/2017 at 9:09 AM, charrst said:

Only certain games will work. About 20% of my library is compatible.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I was going by memory on this one. I don't usually game on Linux, so I hadn't actually checked this before posting. But 76% of my games are actually compatible on Linux. Your mileage will vary, but Linux game support is clearly quite good.

just got the Ubuntu VM running, so out of 57 games in my Library only 34 Worked. But that been said I have a good amount of really old games (Caesar3 and KOTOR) but was really impressed that more than 50% does work. sucks PUBG isn't one of them or I'd be changing my main gaming rig OS :P  

Snip

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

On 9.8.2017 at 10:40 PM, KaiserV1 said:

Hello. I was just deciding whether to switch to Linux or not. (...) I need any advice and help I can get. 

Don't.

You're welcome.

Write in C.

2 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Don't.

You're welcome.

Boot a live disc, try it out and see if you can make it work for you. Like others have said, your not bringing a lot of software with you, but there are alternatives. and there is a lot of software you'll be familiar with as well. But if you find your not comfortable poking around with things, and using self help forums, you know actually learning something new. Then Dat Guy is correct don't. I guarantee the experience will make you a better computer user in general however. A computer is not a toaster. (except apple) You should at least have an understanding of how things work, even if you can't or don't want to fix it yourself.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:57 AM, JDE said:

I don't use Arch Linux or Linux at this point (stuck on a Mac) but I wouldn't use Arch Linux because I like apt-get

I used to use ubuntu for years, debian and other debian based distroes. I was like you. I liked apt-get but as soon as i installed arch linux i forgot about everything. You do not use linux if you do not have arch! That's it. Ubuntu is for beginners and for those who want to say that they use linux :) Arch is real linux, for real man ;)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

11 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

I used to use ubuntu for years, debian and other debian based distroes. I was like you. I liked apt-get but as soon as i installed arch linux i forgot about everything. You do not use linux if you do not have arch! That's it. Ubuntu is for beginners and for those who want to say that they use linux :) Arch is real linux, for real man ;)

I hope you're just joking

Just now, noahdvs said:

I hope you're just joking

I'm joking. Of course, it is exaggerated a lot :D though, there is a little bit of the truth :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

On 8/9/2017 at 4:40 PM, KaiserV1 said:

Hello. I was just deciding whether to switch to Linux or not. I've been thinking about this for a while but I decided not to multiple times, but this time I feel like I want to do it for real. Windows 10 is giving me plenty of problems and I honestly don't have the patience for it. Besides, I've heard it's more private, so that's a plus. I've been looking at a few Linux distributions and I quite liked Elementary OS, mostly because of the visuals. Is it good, bad? What do you think? I know absolutely nothing about Linux so I need as much help as possible. I will need to keep W10 because I play games, so I'll have to install both in my SSD, and I don't know how to do that in the first place. Also, which programs can be used in Linux and which ones can't? These are the ones I use: Steam, Origin, Uplay, iTunes (so I can add music to my phone), CCleaner, Bvckup 2, MSI Afterburner, Malwarebytes, NOD32, DS4Windows and BitTorrent. I need any advice and help I can get. As I never did anything like this before. Thanks.

As far as dual booting, it was pretty effortless in Linux Mint, I think it asks during the installation. The key is installing Windows first. Officially steam is only supported in Steam OS and Ubuntu. While I did get it working in Linux Mint, from my understanding Mint is based off of Ubuntu. I wouldn't really working about any Anti VIrus products, as long as your careful. Keep in mind, .exe cant run in Linux, so Windows Virus's are pretty much harmless. There are not many Linux virus's out in the wild. Id imagine that BitTorrent should be easy to find an app. The rest Im not sure. 

Your best bet is to down load a few more ISO's and use the Live CD version or see about setting up some VMs. Test out a few distro's until you find one. Also, keep in mind Linux can read NTFS volumes, so you wont need to transfer data. Windows cant read Linux Volumes however to my understanding. Not without special drivers, which I dont think are from Microsoft or have even been WQL certified. 

For other software you need to do your due diligence and go out to the vendors website and see if a Linux version exists. That being said, if not, look in to WINE. Just keep in mind all the features of the software might not work in WINE. 

Dont be afraid of the terminal. While Im no Linux pro, there is a lot of documentation online. Some stuff has to be done in the terminal. For me, I tend to be fine, my first computer had Windows 3.11 and DOS on it. So I used the command line a lot back in the day. Hell, there are things I only know how to do in the command line. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm super late responding to this but I'm gonna try Elementary OS first, but I don't think it's that popular so I'm worried I might have hardware compatibility problems. Besides that one, I'm stuck between Debian or Ubuntu. And maybe Linux Mint. Which one should I choose?

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x370 K7

GPU: R9 380 

RAM: 16GB Trident Z RGB

PSU: EVGA 650W Gold

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

4 hours ago, KaiserV1 said:

Okay, I'm super late responding to this but I'm gonna try Elementary OS first, but I don't think it's that popular so I'm worried I might have hardware compatibility problems. Besides that one, I'm stuck between Debian or Ubuntu. And maybe Linux Mint. Which one should I choose?

Elementary OS has the exact same hardware compatibility as Ubuntu LTS, since that's what it's based on. If you have hardware compatibility problems, install the HWE kernel. It gives you a newer version of the Linux kernel than what Ubuntu 16.04 has by default. Ubuntu 16.04 is the current LTS version of Ubuntu and the next version will be 18.04, which will be out in April of 2018.

Linux Mint is also based on Ubuntu LTS, but I think it has newer software than Ubuntu LTS.

I don't think Debian has an equivalent to Ubuntu's HWE kernel package, but Debian 9 was released this year with version 4.9 (LTS) of the Linux kernel, which is newer than what Ubuntu 16.04 has by default. Debian 10 will come out in 2019. Ubuntu LTS and Debian both release a new version every 2 years.

On 9/9/2017 at 1:10 AM, edward30 said:

Debian is great for servers if you don't need new packages, but quite tiresome on desktop. Old software, often problems with newer hardware -- skip.

A Kabylake Intel CPU should work fine on Debian 9 since it uses version 4.9 of the Linux kernel. Pascal series Nvidia graphics cards should perform well enough with Debian's version of the proprietary Nvidia driver (375.66). The very latest AMD cards (most likely Vega, but not out yet) probably won't work too well since Debian uses Mesa 13.0.6 (released March 2017). You're right about the updates in Debian Stable. 2 years is a long time.

Mint is a DE (display environment), Cinnamon, and you're better off installing Cinnamon elsewhere.

No, Mint is a distro and DE actually stands for Desktop Environment (significant difference from what Display Environment implies). Cinnamon is still best installed on Mint, but you can use Cinnamon just fine on other distros. The people that make Mint are also the ones that make Cinnamon.

Ubuntu is a good choice. But if you jump in now you'll learn the Unity DE, and that is going away.

Ubuntu's Unity DE will probably be around until Canonical stops supporting Ubuntu 16.04 (2021), but it is being discontinued and replaced with a slightly modified GNOME 3. If you have Unity installed when 17.10 comes (October), you'll still have it.

On 09/08/2017 at 10:33 PM, charrst said:

And you think Linux is the solution to that??? If I had a dollar for every hour I've spent trying to fix an issue with a Linux machine.......

The point is, if you want an OS that "just works", please just stick with Windows.

I can get on this train I spend days, even made a topic on here. where Ubuntu would have no USB 2.0 only 3.0 and networking. Turns out it's an issue with my BIOS and IOMMU. You have to enable it to boot from a live machine and install, boot then add iummu=soft to grub, update and then disable it to get everything working.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Linux is really a good operation system, and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use it even for just a try, you can decide later if you like it or not and you can always switch between Windows and Linux.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

18 hours ago, Pavilion said:

Linux is really a good operation system, and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use it even for just a try, you can decide later if you like it or not and you can always switch between Windows and Linux.

if you leave windows installed any little problem will make go meh I'll just switch back because using what you know is easier than learning something new.

You have to make it your daily driver and keep using it for a while before deciding what you like better.

I don't think I'll ever go back to windows tbh.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´