NAS Build, Is the hardware overkill??

Here is a parts list for a NAS that I am planning on building in a few months, If anyone knows how to cut cost at all on this build or have any other recomendations please let me know.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xwk7NN

| CPU Intel I7 6700K | Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero | RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 2666Mhz | GPU MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X + NZXT Kraken g12 w/ NZXT Kraken x52 | Case NZXT h440 | Storage 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 2TB Samsung 850 Evo | PSU EVGA Supernova G2 750W | Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate |

2 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

maybe get a cheap ssd for boot volume, or use unraid

Will 120Gb be enough, I have a 120Gb Adata ssd one laying around

| CPU Intel I7 6700K | Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero | RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 2666Mhz | GPU MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X + NZXT Kraken g12 w/ NZXT Kraken x52 | Case NZXT h440 | Storage 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 2TB Samsung 850 Evo | PSU EVGA Supernova G2 750W | Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate |

You only need that memory if you're running ZFS really (FreeNAS).

You aren't really going to get cheaper than that build brand new though other than dropping the memory down to 8GB

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Just now, Jarsky said:

You aren't really going to get cheaper than that build brand new though other than dropping the memory down to 8GB

I am planning on using freewnas and ZFS so thats why i have that much RAM

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

I am sorry, but that is a bit wrong.

1 hour ago, LeviBW said:

I am planning on using freewnas and ZFS so thats why i have that much RAM

If you want to run FreeNAS or more specifically ZFS, you need to use ECC RAM!

ZFS highly relies on ECC RAM. I don't know enough about it, to explain why, but it is very important for data integrity.

BTW: For using ECC RAM your CPU as well as your motherboard need to support it. I don't know if that's the case for your CPU.

Also what kind of data do you want to put on there?

Is it important?

Does the NAS have to be fast? Otherwise you don't really need FreeNAS, as the price overhead is pretty high (considering the ECC RAM and compatible hardware).

6 minutes ago, Lubi97 said:

I am sorry, but that is a bit wrong.

I'm not sure why you're saying that's wrong?

That memory can come into use for scrubbing, de-duplication and ARC. You do not need that much memory for other types of array like storage spaces, mdadm, xfs/btrfs, unraid, flexraid, etc...it doesn't utilise memory in the same way for tasks. Hence stating, it depends on the array type, on how much memory he requires for his build.

As for ECC - that doesn't protect against multi-bit errors, pending sectors, disk failures, power surges, and other events that can occur. While its a good idea it is not mandator for home use and not the be all and end all. Bit-flips in memory are not that common.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 5.8.2017 at 0:13 AM, Jarsky said:

I'm not sure why you're saying that's wrong?

That memory can come into use for scrubbing, de-duplication and ARC. You do not need that much memory for other types of array like storage spaces, mdadm, xfs/btrfs, unraid, flexraid, etc...it doesn't utilise memory in the same way for tasks. Hence stating, it depends on the array type, on how much memory he requires for his build.

Sorry, I might have written that a little fast/confusing, I just meant the ECC part.

On 5.8.2017 at 0:13 AM, Jarsky said:

As for ECC - that doesn't protect against multi-bit errors, pending sectors, disk failures, power surges, and other events that can occur. While its a good idea it is not mandator for home use and not the be all and end all. Bit-flips in memory are not that common.

Multi-Bit errors should be more unlikely than Bit-flips, right?

And isn't something affecting the drives is why one would use RAID?

All in all I just thought, that OP should read up on that topic. ;)

The only issue I see is the LAN chip on that motherboard. You want an Intel NIC for sure. 

As for ECC memory: You DO NOT need ECC for FreeNAS. It's recommended to use ECC, but there is nothing special about the ZFS filesystem that would require ECC any more than any other filesystem.

You're paying a premium for the small ITX size.  Consider Micro-ATX and you will save some money.

Those HGST NAS drives are top notch, but if you are looking to cut corners, think about WD Red or Seagate's NAS drives instead.  Also, why 4 drives?  Just use Raid1z with 3 drives.

I would suggest a lower wattage Gold PSU like Seasonic's 360W Gold.

ECC is a nice thing to have with ZFS, but not needed.

You don't need an SSD if you are using FreeNAS, just a pair of USB drives.  Unless you plan on a read or write cache.

RAID provides redundancy, but is not a backup.  Do you have a solution for that?

Get a small SSD or Big usb stick to run Freenas of,  The base os will not install on a drive and allow the use of that disk for data.  (also for log's or simple jails) it nice if the array doesn't have to spin up