Sixteen 4k monitors equals 16k...?

I just watched the finale of 16k gaming on YouTube, and I'm still confused. How does four 4k monitors equal 8k, and sixteen 4k monitors equal 16k?

Ever since the release of the 16K gaming videos I've been left to wonder how half the members of the audience finished 4th grade math class.  Is this happening to anyone else, or is it just me?

Okay so a 4k monitor is 3840 pixels wide, and there are 4 x 4K screens across, so when you multiply 3840 x 4 you get 15360 pixels.

It has 2160 pixels length, and there are 4 x 4K screens vertically, so when you multiply 2160 x 4 you get 8640 pixels.

15360 x 8640 is 16K, which is 4 screens across, 4 screens vertical, 4 x 4 = 16, 16 screens.

3840x2160 Is the resoloution of 1 4K Display 

As you do not simply add them together, you go by the total resolution.

15360x8640 is the resolotuon of 16 4k Monitors

So as you always go by the horizontal resolution for the "K" Designation its 16k 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

When talking about screen resolutions, it's important to remember everything is about area. The number in "4K" means it's approximately 4000 pixels across, so 16K is approximately 16,000 pixels across. But you can't just stack four 4K monitors side by side and call it 16K (well, you could, technically). You also have to add three more rows for a total of 16 monitors to get what the actual "16K" resolution would be.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Ever since the release of the 16K gaming videos I've been left to wonder how half the members of the audience finished 4th grade math class.  Is this happening to anyone else, or is it just me?

I forgot until recently, I thought 8K was 2x 4K. :P

Though that is a bit too harsh.

Well just like how 4k = 4*1080p

And 8k = 4*4k or 16*1080p...

For 16k you need 4x8k or 16*4k

You could explain it by math like the others have said, but I feel this is slightly easier to understand.

To obtain the vertical count of 16k resolution, you need 4*4k monitor, alright, but then what about the horizontal count?

All you did was stack 4 monitor on top of each other so the vertical count is 16k but the horizontal count is still at 4k.

Thus you would need to also put 4*4k monitor horizontally...

But now you have what is essentially an L shape of monitor and nothing inside...

So to fill up that L you need to multiply height by length(4*4)and you get 16 monitor... thus, 16k.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

just like 1080p refers to the vertical count (1920 x 1080, or 2560 x 1080), 4K refers to the horizontal count.  3840 x 2160.  With 4 in a row, that's 16k.

Read the guide in my signature for more details if this isn't clear.

9 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

You could explain it by math like the others have said, but I feel this is slightly easier to understand.

what in the name of god ... I think you should probably read it too just to be safe :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

just like 1080p refers to the vertical count (1920 x 1080, or 2560 x 1080), 4K refers to the horizontal count.  3840 x 2160.  With 4 in a row, that's 16k.

Read the guide in my signature for more details if this isn't clear.

what in the name of god ... I think you should probably read it too just to be safe :P 

No, we need an animated GIF where different squares light up to demonstrate the differences with a 1x1 grid, a 4x4 grid and a 8x8 grid.  All text should be in a large, friendly font too.

50 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Id be mad but I look at your avatar and smile :D. Be nice people forget how resolution works, lets educate not postulate :D

42 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

This

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

4k is actually just one side of the monitor, It isn't all of the pixels. 8k is twice as long on either side as 4k, so it is 4x as much pixels. 16k is twice as long as 8k on either side.