Nvidia Claims 3X Improved Performance In Certain Applications With New Driver Update for Titan Xp (Vega Response?)

Max_Settings
1 hour ago, sgloux3470 said:

There's a strong perception that Nvidia was just sitting on this update until they had a reason to release it.  Most likely it's optimizations that were already on the Quadro line that they are happening to bequeath to the Titan card.  

Whether that's true or not is only something Nvidia knows.  

The features and performance for the professional applications was there with the original Titan series, they just gave back what was removed. It's going to be a hard sell again to get people to pay more for a Quadro P5000 that performs worse.

The same architecture and base dies are used between GTX and Quadro, there are some minor differences between them and firmware etc but in my last discussion about this I found out through a bit of digging that a lot of professional applications use legacy OpenGL rendering calls and the support for that has been removed from GTX drivers which is why the performance is so bad. Once you add that back in performance picks up greatly.

2 hours ago, sgloux3470 said:

There's a strong perception that Nvidia was just sitting on this update until they had a reason to release it.  Most likely it's optimizations that were already on the Quadro line that they are happening to bequeath to the Titan card.  

Whether that's true or not is only something Nvidia knows.

who gives a shit!? you buy a product on the performance it has at the moment of the purchase, and not on some things that might or might not happen

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

who gives a shit!?

Apparently many.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

The features and performance for the professional applications was there with the original Titan series, they just gave back what was removed. It's going to be a hard sell again to get people to pay more for a Quadro P5000 that performs worse.

The same architecture and base dies are used between GTX and Quadro, there are some minor differences between them and firmware etc but in my last discussion about this I found out through a bit of digging that a lot of professional applications use legacy OpenGL rendering calls and the support for that has been removed from GTX drivers which is why the performance is so bad. Once you add that back in performance picks up greatly.

Yeah it appears to be the usual artificial market segmentation bullshit.

Nvidia still doesn't seem to really know what the Titan cards are anymore but with the Vega Frontier Edition fulfilling a similar role as a hybrid professional/gamer card  it looks like they had to turn some stuff back on to make it competitive.  

58 minutes ago, zMeul said:

who gives a shit!? you buy a product on the performance it has at the moment of the purchase, and not on some things that might or might not happen

[Beep boop finewine counter argument alpha tango 3 engage]

What are you even talking about in regards to what I said?

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

Longevity is a component of performance. Otherwise no one would buy Noctua. Since at this point if given a stable power source and not stressed to the max most graphics cards will last more than 5 years it is a consideration to take into account.

29 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Longevity is a component of performance. Otherwise no one would buy Noctua. Since at this point if given a stable power source and not stressed to the max most graphics cards will last more than 5 years it is a consideration to take into account.

Now that you mention it I looked up how old my GPUs actually are, 4 years I've had them. I could easily use them for longer if I wasn't using 2560x1600 resolution too but they are getting a bit shit now.

2 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

you are talking out of your ass on that one

one is component warranty and quite another is performance for some unreleased software

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you are talking out of your ass on that one

one is component warranty and quite another is performance for some unreleased software

Another is performance for unreleased software that is highly probable to be released within the working lifetime of the component. Now should it be a primary consideration, no. But it is something to keep in mind if your planning on doing a long term build. This is especially important for Vega because even if you start to hit games that go above the 8GB memory limit 5 years from now you won't see a major hit on minimum frames.

GPUs dont need low latency except for compute. Despite having much higher bandwidths than CPUs they have much higher latencies too.

Despite AMD falling behind in performance, if AMD had not come out with vega FE nvidia would never have given any benefit to the titan for use in workstations.

Just now, ravenshrike said:

Another is performance for unreleased software that is highly probable to be released within the working lifetime of the component. Now should it be a primary consideration, no. But it is something to keep in mind if your planning on doing a long term build.

sure .. based on what?! pixies and fairies xD

every single game and 3d pro app can be speed up 2-10x at least if nvidia devs and the game/app devs work togheter to optimize, also cpu optimizations count a lot

most apps just use standard calls into d3d/ogl and the design of the game/app also matters, when how you batch your calls etc, what UI framework you use affects fps and responsiveness a lot more than you think

On 8/1/2017 at 0:47 AM, LAwLz said:

Hahah yeah, fuck Nvidia for releasing drivers that increase performance, right?

I hate when my graphics cards gets better with newer drivers. They really should stop doing that.

/sarcasm (you'd think that it wouldn't be needed, but I wouldn't be surprised if some AMD fans genuinely thought this way)

The post your replying to must have went over your head. Since when do driver updates bring 3x performance ever? It's one thing to like a company but you should question things like this, if we all did our part (which will never happen) maybe the market would start to make sense and companies wouldn't say things like "should we shaft them?" "Sure, 99% of them won't even notice, if it becomes an issue we'll just make ourselves look awesome and slip in a driver update, and that same 99% will think we are gods."

What happened to principles. 

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself