What's wrong with this TV?

I'm trying to help a neighbor with their son's TV. The child is special needs and can not have a flat screen TV as they're too fragile and he kicks, hits, knocks over the TV. His current setup is an old-school tube TV with a Chromecast. The Chromecast is plugged into an HDMI to RCA converter (which also removes HDMI's security/DRM so he can watch things like Netflix) then an RCA to coax. 

The picture is messed up right now (see video) and I'm trying to diagnose the issue. Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts on hand. A new Chromecast would be expensive (for the family) so I'd rather not recommend they buy one unless needed. Both video converters are cheap but only available online, so I'd rather not make them wait for shipping if I can avoid that. And a new TV would be, probably the cheapest element, but those TVs are very heavy and bulky, so I don't want to get another TV unless I need to. 

Basically I need some methodology to test the components without replacing them until I track down the bad element.

Thanks!

VID_20170721_214622908.mp4

IMG_20170721_213425357.thumb.jpg.6bf3b7367a8c0893a35114155319e38a.jpg

IMG_20170721_213444870.thumb.jpg.5f8efd5bf3871b07ffc2e737434b8cbe.jpg

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

You could test the chromecast in a normal tv. Also if you happen to have an old tv laying around you could test with that as well. If the chromecast works and the other tv fails its prob the adapter.

Jeeeesus, i feel the issue is at the ANT/CABLE connector at the back of the TV, it should not be that way.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Jeeeesus, i feel the issue is at the ANT/CABLE connector at the back of the TV, it should not be that way.

Yeah that is my suspicion but I don't have any tube TVs around and they're very heavy. Especially if it doesn't end up being the TV that's a heavy bulky item to throw away. Although I suppose I'd need to dispose of the TV if it is broken anyways.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

4 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

You could test the chromecast in a normal tv. Also if you happen to have an old tv laying around you could test with that as well. If the chromecast works and the other tv fails its prob the adapter.

I might have a small flat screen in my storage, I could probably use that to test the Chromecast and RCA output of the first adapter, but I'm not sure if it has a coax input.

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

Yeah that is my suspicion but I don't have any tube TVs around and they're very heavy. Especially if it doesn't end up being the TV that's a heavy bulky item to throw away. Although I suppose I'd need to dispose of the TV if it is broken anyways.

Well not totally, you can take they other stuff, the chromecast/etc. and go by you, make sure it is working then you will know for sure it is the back ov the TV, with that you will have to clear the wire and solder it back to the same connector and maybe you can use like some silicone/epoxy to stick it to the back of the TV.

56 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:
Spoiler

I'm trying to help a neighbor with their son's TV. The child is special needs and can not have a flat screen TV as they're too fragile and he kicks, hits, knocks over the TV. His current setup is an old-school tube TV with a Chromecast. The Chromecast is plugged into an HDMI to RCA converter (which also removes HDMI's security/DRM so he can watch things like Netflix) then an RCA to coax. 

The picture is messed up right now (see video) and I'm trying to diagnose the issue. Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts on hand. A new Chromecast would be expensive (for the family) so I'd rather not recommend they buy one unless needed. Both video converters are cheap but only available online, so I'd rather not make them wait for shipping if I can avoid that. And a new TV would be, probably the cheapest element, but those TVs are very heavy and bulky, so I don't want to get another TV unless I need to. 

Basically I need some methodology to test the components without replacing them until I track down the bad element.

Thanks!

VID_20170721_214622908.mp4

IMG_20170721_213425357.thumb.jpg.6bf3b7367a8c0893a35114155319e38a.jpg

IMG_20170721_213444870.thumb.jpg.5f8efd5bf3871b07ffc2e737434b8cbe.jpg

Does the TV have scart or video in? if it does, you can use the signal coming from the hdmi2av converter directly, just need a cheap rca to scart adapter.
though it may also just be broken :/ you should test the tv with somthing that uses an antennae signal (a NES or oldschol console for instance) and i would also try the equipment on another tv just to make sure it is working correctly.

but if it's broken. old crt tv's are pretty cheap, atleast the ones that are not usedfor arcade cabinets etc.. you might even get one for free if you pick it up..

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

On 7/21/2017 at 10:58 PM, Changis said:

Does the TV have scart or video in? if it does, you can use the signal coming from the hdmi2av converter directly, just need a cheap rca to scart adapter.
though it may also just be broken :/ you should test the tv with somthing that uses an antennae signal (a NES or oldschol console for instance) and i would also try the equipment on another tv just to make sure it is working correctly.

but if it's broken. old crt tv's are pretty cheap, atleast the ones that are not usedfor arcade cabinets etc.. you might even get one for free if you pick it up..

No, it doesn't have any other inputs. I was able to confirm it was the TV by testing with a small flat screen I had in storage. 

I've tried the local Goodwills and other crap stores but none of them have any old TVs in stock, just flat screens (most of them were like 80% of their original price, get your act together Goodwill! No one's gonna pay $199.99 for a 4 year old 32 inch Coby...)

Also thanks to @Leonard and @Abyss Gaming! :)

I'll keep an eye out for a replacement, hitting the TV really hard has been temporarily fixing it.

3 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

hitting the TV really hard has been temporarily fixing it.

Lol my grandparents have to do this to their flatscreen. And it shouldnt be too hard to find one, even for free. Just scour craigslist as well as the free section in craigslist.

46 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

No, it doesn't have any other inputs. I was able to confirm it was the TV by testing with a small flat screen I had in storage. 

I've tried the local Goodwills and other crap stores but none of them have any old TVs in stock, just flat screens (most of them were like 80% of their original price, get your act together Goodwill! No one's gonna pay $199.99 for a 4 year old 32 inch Coby...)

I'll keep an eye out for a replacement, hitting the TV really hard has been temporarily fixing it.

$199, @ goodwill, i guess that goodwill isn't so good, have you tried looking into like pawn shops, maybe they may have something suitable.

Hey why don't you look into getting a flat tv but put it in a cage then hang it on the wall, i don't know what the situation is there but it is just a suggestion.

Hope you get it solved for them.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

$199, @ goodwill, i guess that goodwill isn't so good, have you tried looking into like pawn shops, maybe they may have something suitable.

Hey why don't you look into getting a flat tv but put it in a cage then hang it on the wall, i don't know what the situation is there but it is just a suggestion.

Hope you get it solved for them.

most likely they probably have heard that some crt tv's are being bought for arcade cabinets and retro gaming so they might price it up in ignorant belief that it's worth that much now.. see this with other items as well..

good luck to OP.

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2017 at 10:49 PM, Xanthe_2871 said:

Check Craigslist - you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a used old CRT TV there.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)