Virtual Machine capabilities?

AWayne

Hello LTT community, a quick question here, I was wondering if I can hyperlink a file from my 64-bit machine to open in my 32-bit virtual machine. Such as I click a link and it will bring me to the 32-bit specific program on my virtual Machine. Thanks!

Your question doesn't really make much sense. You want clicking a link on one computer to open a program on another computer?

I understand it's a vm on the same machine, but for most intents and purposes, it's a separate computer.

Why can't you just open it on the vm?

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

No. You can't have the host OS do anything with the guest OS outside of what the VM manager will let it. If you want to run the program on the VM, you have to start the VM. But if you want something resembling this, some VM managers will let you do a "seamless mode," which will make it look like the VM is running natively.

Alternatively, you may be able to do this if you can mount the virtual storage drive (assuming it's a commonly mountable format) and access it like any other storage drive. But if the program only works on the VM (like due to needing that specific environment or OS), then this won't work.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't directly do this through the virtual machine but you could use remote scripting to remotely run scripts on the guest OS.  Take for example you run a powershell script on your host machine that executes a program on the virtual machine.  

This will require the use of IP addresses however.  That's about as much as i know how to do.  If you want to write your own hypervisor and virtual machine manager then maybe you could.