One Hyper 212 EVO underperforming

Steo

Hi. I recently upgraded to an i7 7700k and gave my brother my i7 4770k. We then noticed he was getting really high temperatures compared to what I was getting on the same settings and motherboard. We both have the exact same cooler master heatsinks but for some reason his is performing much worse than mine. the 7700k is at 4.7ghz and the 4770k is at 4.2ghz. I tried reapplying the thermal compound which made no difference so then I carried out tests and used aida64 stability tests for 5 minutes and then left them idling to get the min temperatures, then swapped heatsinks and done the same again and here's the results. Why is his performing worse than mine, does that make any sense?. Both coolers were bought at the same time around one year ago.

EDIT: I also kept my own fan in my system for the test with his heatsink and vice versa.

2017-07-13 (2).png

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

is his heat-sink damaged e.g. bent or broken fins/pipes if not it could be one is simply lower quality than the other.

Just now, Oryzaki said:

is his heat-sink damaged e.g. bent or broken fins/pipes if not it could be one is simply lower quality than the other.

I don't think so they both look identical that's why I don't get it. The 4770k had much lower temps when I had it and that's what made us notice. Could polishing it make any difference do you think?

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

5 minutes ago, steocullen91 said:

-snip-

Just the way it is unfortunately, 7700K has bad TIM between the silicon and IHS, and is also generally a thermal nightmare. The Hyper212 is not powerful enough to keep it tame.

mabey but i doubt it sometimes the quality of aluminum can simply be lower like how some CPUs win the silicone lottery and others don't.

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Just the way it is unfortunately, 7700K has bad TIM between the silicon and IHS, and is also generally a thermal nightmare. The Hyper212 is not powerful enough to keep it tame.

Hyper212 is powerfull enough, if Intel would just solder CPU die to IHS.

I forgive them for not doing that on 7700k because it's impossible to solder it.

But new 2066 CPUs ... they didn't even solder 18c CPU. Good luck trying to keep that in check.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Hyper212 is powerfull enough, if Intel would just solder CPU die to IHS.

I forgive them for not doing that on 7700k because it's impossible to solder it.

But new 2066 CPUs ... they didn't even solder 18c CPU. Good luck trying to keep that in check.

Well they are a stuck up company plus voiding warrantys for replacing the thermal compound makes them more money.

I'm planning on buying a water cooler anyway like I was looking at the arctic freezer 240 on amazon since it's reasonably priced and I can just give him the heatsink I have for now then since it performs better than his. His clearly seems to perform way worse than mine. Should that be a good cooler considering it has push pull? They also have a 360 version but the case I only ordered for myself will have 2 places to fit a 240 radiator either on the front or top.

Edit: Another one I'm looking at is the Akasa Venom A20. I'm sure my 212 evo will be fine on the 4770k with a new thermal compound application.

Are fan speeds and room temps same? With same CPU, those are only things that should cause whole 5C difference.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Are fan speeds and room temps same? With same CPU, those are only things that should cause whole 5C difference.

Yeah actually in the same room altogether and I'm getting the higher temps with his heatsink on each CPU. To be fair the 7700k is running too hot in my opinion anyway, according to hwmonitor it's getting mid to high 80s in aida64s stability test if I had the system under load for a while then go straight to it. That could just be a bad fan curve though but I wan't something better for this new build considering I'm still running my 2 970s in SLI. I do plan on buying a better single card when I have enough money but a cooler is less than a quarter of the price of a new decent GPU. So for now I just want to find a better way to keep down the temps and since the 7700k can get that hot I think a better cooler is the best solution. My case has plenty of ventilation but that's all it has going for it in my opinion, apart from that I don't like it at all, it has terrible i/o ports and worst of all AC97 Audio. I'm buying a new one that can properly mount a 240mm radiator in the event that buying an AIO could be the best solution here.

On 7/13/2017 at 5:15 AM, Oryzaki said:

Well they are a stuck up company plus voiding warrantys for replacing the thermal compound makes them more money.

On 7/13/2017 at 5:06 AM, For Science! said:

Just the way it is unfortunately, 7700K has bad TIM between the silicon and IHS, and is also generally a thermal nightmare.

The TIM is excellent under the IHS. The raised temps are due to the gap caused by the adhesive around the die. This is worse for temps but better for longevity/reliability which is more important to the average consumer.

I doubt delidding makes them any more money.

On 7/13/2017 at 1:32 PM, steocullen91 said:

Yeah actually in the same room altogether and I'm getting the higher temps with his heatsink on each CPU. To be fair the 7700k is running too hot in my opinion anyway, according to hwmonitor it's getting mid to high 80s in aida64s stability test if I had the system under load for a while then go straight to it. That could just be a bad fan curve though

Try running the fans at 100% on both systems and see how the temps compare. It could also help to check out the core voltage during load. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

This is now at stock speed with my own cooler. I don't really get the voltage like they're always higher than you set it unless it's on manual and I can only set adaptive to like 1.28. when I set it any lower it still goes 1.28 unless I use the offset at negative which causes instability then. That's still fairly hot for stock considering if I leave it linger it rises a bit more. Also the fan ramps up as soon as I start it since the temps just hit high 70s as soon as I hit the start button in aida64.

Capture.PNG

6 minutes ago, steocullen91 said:

This is now at stock speed with my own cooler. I don't really get the voltage like they're always higher than you set it unless it's on manual and I can only set adaptive to like 1.28. when I set it any lower it still goes 1.28 unless I use the offset at negative which causes instability then. That's still fairly hot for stock considering if I leave it linger it rises a bit more. Also the fan ramps up as soon as I start it since the temps just hit high 70s as soon as I hit the start button in aida64.

What about the 4770k?

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

36 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What about the 4770k?

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Sorry, my bad. Anyway here's the 4770k. It actually is staying at these temps at stock speed now. They're about the same temps I had at 4.2ghz around 1.23v when I was using it but they're not the worst like it's cooler than my 7700k now even with his heatsink on it.

Capture.PNG

On 7/15/2017 at 4:15 PM, steocullen91 said:

Sorry, my bad. Anyway here's the 4770k. It actually is staying at these temps at stock speed now. They're about the same temps I had at 4.2ghz around 1.23v when I was using it but they're not the worst like it's cooler than my 7700k now even with his heatsink on it.

This is at 100% fan speed, right?

The vcore seems unusually low. Try using cpu-z instead to see how high it goes at load.

Why not set your voltage manually?

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

This is at 100% fan speed, right?

The vcore seems unusually low. Try using cpu-z instead to see how high it goes at load.

Why not set your voltage manually?

That was with full speed yeah. I had it on adaptive 1.23v so it probably was always higher because of the LLC and vdroop but I never really paid attention. It goes up to 1.3v under load with adaptive on 1.23v anyway.

Oh I get what you mean now. That confused me also. I think VIN4 is the vcore for some reason on this board at least it looks that way to me.

1 minute ago, steocullen91 said:

That was with full speed yeah. I had it on adaptive 1.23v so it probably was always higher because of the LLC and vdroop but I never really paid attention. It goes up to 1.3v under load with adaptive on 1.23v anyway.

Is this for the 7700k or the 4770k? 1.3v is pretty high at stock speeds and you should be able to use lower voltage at stock clocks.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is this for the 7700k or the 4770k? 1.3v is pretty high at stock speeds and you should be able to use lower voltage at stock clocks.

For stock on both the 7700k and 4770k I had them set to 1.2v. I'm not sure I can go lower I might be able to.

4 hours ago, steocullen91 said:

For stock on both the 7700k and 4770k I had them set to 1.2v. I'm not sure I can go lower I might be able to.

Shouldn't the temps be fine at 1.2v?

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Shouldn't the temps be fine at 1.2v?

Yeah they're maxing about 75c or so under stress at 1.2 at stock speed. Not too bad actually. I could probably do with some better compound but we'll see if there's much difference when I get my aio next week. Not expecting too much but with a window on my case the so I will look nicer.

On 13/07/2017 at 2:05 PM, steocullen91 said:

I don't think so they both look identical that's why I don't get it. The 4770k had much lower temps when I had it and that's what made us notice. Could polishing it make any difference do you think?

Maybe it's the fan(motor). It could spin at a lower rpm for some reason giving higher temps.