Is it possible to (and should you use) a thermoelectric cooler (in any way) to cool your system?

(for example.... ummm....maybe..... in a completely enclosed case that has no holes or vents so that it looks futuristic and makes little noise).

Just curious :)

Item in question:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l2632.R2.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xthermoelectric+.TRS0&_nkw=thermoelectric+cooler&_sacat=92074

Just now, Damdatfam said:

Is it possible to (and should you use) a thermoelectric cooler (in any way) to cool your system?

(for example.... ummm....maybe..... in a completely enclosed case that has no holes or vents so that it looks futuristic and makes little noise).

Just curious :)

Item in question:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l2632.R2.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xthermoelectric+.TRS0&_nkw=thermoelectric+cooler&_sacat=92074

My advice unless you need something nutsoid....Okay that was dumb on this forum.... Is to use a passive cooler and a s or T skew processor (Think they're the same thing now, and they just allow a downclock natively for the lower power option)

2 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

My advice unless you need something nutsoid....Okay that was dumb on this forum.... Is to use a passive cooler and a s or T skew processor (Think they're the same thing now, and they just allow a downclock natively for the lower power option)

Yeah I know, but will it work though If you really wanted to despite its obvious drawbacks?

Just now, Damdatfam said:

Yeah I know, but will it work though If you really wanted to despite its obvious drawbacks?

Yeah it could work. The drawbacks are freeking nuts though. You have to isolate the cpu completely from atmosphere. (basicly a phase change setup in a tiny area) If anything goes wrong your CPU is just plain dead as there's no thermal mass to dissipate heat while your computer shuts down.

I'm not sure the other problems, but unless you need this product, check out streamcom's offerings instead.

3 minutes ago, Damdatfam said:

It's been discussed before but the main issue is how inefficient it is and if your going to go sub ambient there are concerns of condensation. 

23 minutes ago, Damdatfam said:

- snip -

It's possible but you need to pay attention to the condensation. And you'd still have to cool the hot side. And it consumes power on top of the cpu's power consumption. Don't do it...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

32 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's been discussed before but the main issue is how inefficient it is and if your going to go sub ambient there are concerns of condensation. 

lol. I realised it soon after I posted the comment but since I couldn't find the delete key, I just decided to roll with it.