Microsoft says 'no known ransomware' runs on Windows 10 S — not quite

captain_to_fire
6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You can do all of that without macros, you can edit Excel using powershell along with using all the available formulas and external data sources and create Office plugins using Visual Studio. There is no reason for Macros to still exist beyond legacy support.

and all you need is VS, why attempt to do everything on just excel/word when you can have two programs running on the already shitty office desktops

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

22 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and all you need is VS, why attempt to do everything on just excel/word when you can have two programs running on the already shitty office desktops

Ah what? I have no idea what you are trying to say or if you even understood what I said. Macros are not required to automate input of data in to Excel, not knowing how to do it the modern way doesn't validate the continued existence of the old way.

Edit:

VS is only required for the last point, to make the plugins. You don't need VS to use the plugins or install those plugins for Office. You would also need a very special case to bother creating plugins.

Edit 2:

First two google results of "Edit Excel using PowerShell"

http://sqlmag.com/powershell/update-excel-spreadsheets-powershell

http://www.xipher.dk/WordPress/?p=319

No Macros in use at all yet automated input of data, one of them even using an external SQL database.

6 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

he was able to download a payload using Metasploit

this children, is one of the many reasons why you do not install kali linux as your fist linux based OS

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

bhahahahahhaah windows office macro's have been insecure for so long now, i don't understand why they are not disabled/reworked completely.

1 hour ago, tlink said:

bhahahahahhaah windows office macro's have been insecure for so long now, i don't understand why they are not disabled/reworked completely.

They ARE disabled. They can be enabled for legacy sakes.  They had to enable it, AND EVEN THEN, could not make it work, they had to be the author of the document, put it taught a network share folder, grab it from there, and NOW they manage to execute it. SO yea, they need another computer, on the same network, with a shared folder on top of typing themselves the macro.

Of course locking something down will make it incrementally more secure, that's not something to brag about. I could make a safer system just by not connecting it to the internet... an actual feat you can brag about would be making it secure without crippling its functionality.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

They ARE disabled. They can be enabled for legacy sakes.  They had to enable it, AND EVEN THEN, could not make it work, they had to be the author of the document, put it taught a network share folder, grab it from there, and NOW they manage to execute it. SO yea, they need another computer, on the same network, with a shared folder on top of typing themselves the macro.

ah well thats better already. since when is it like this?

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Nevertheless MS asked for it by stating that "NO RANSOMWARE CAN RUN ON W10S". Serves them right in my opinion. Maybe they'll tone down the overdramatic statements.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Nevertheless MS asked for it by stating that "NO RANSOMWARE CAN RUN ON W10S". Serves them right in my opinion. Maybe they'll tone down the overdramatic statements.

True

15 hours ago, Sauron said:

This is Microsoft we're talking about here. How many times have they made a little bit exaggerated statements that had fallen short? 

• Microsoft claims that Edge browser is more secure than Chrome? No. As it turns out, the open Google Safe Browsing API can block more phishing and malware hosting sites than Edge's Smart screen filter. Chrome also has a much tougher sandbox than Edge. 

• Microsoft claims Game Mode in Creators Update can boost gaming performance. How about dropping frame rates? 

• Microsoft claims you can get more battery life with Edge. Wrong. 

• Back in 2013-2014, Microsoft claims that Windows Phone store is growing in selection of apps and that it's easier to use than Android. ?
  • Now, they claimed that Windows 10S is malware proof. Not so much I guess. 

Their marketing team probably needs a trip to the HR about ego and cockiness. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside