Upgrading my CPU

Today i'm upgrading my i3 to an i5 and I need to know if I have to do anything after upgrading my CPU like I had to do with my GPU. Will my computer be fine if I just switch CPUs and turn my system back on? 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

just switch and your good.

Hold on. Which platform? Going from say a 6100 or a 7500 will have issues.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

As above, just plug and play if that's the only thing you're changing.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, Jrock said:

Hold on. Which platform? Going from say a 6100 or a 7500 will have issues.

well if it boots your fine, you may need a newer bios, but most all new 100 series boards will work fine with new kaby like chips as they have the newest bios out of the box.

5 hours ago, isaackeem said:

Today i'm upgrading my i3 to an i5 and I need to know if I have to do anything after upgrading my CPU like I had to do with my GPU. Will my computer be fine if I just switch CPUs and turn my system back on? 

Beforehand update your BIOS to the latest STABLE version available. Takes a few minutes. Then do the upgrade and be happy nothing else is required. 

1 hour ago, faziten said:

Beforehand update your BIOS to the latest STABLE version available. Takes a few minutes. Then do the upgrade and be happy nothing else is required. 

DO NOT do this. BIOS flash is not necessary for i3 to i5 swap. Furthermore, BIOS flashing always has a chance of bricking a motherboard and should never be done unless there is an issue with your existing hardware not working correctly.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

From what CPU to what CPU? Need more details.

On 6/25/2017 at 0:01 AM, asand1 said:

DO NOT do this. BIOS flash is not necessary for i3 to i5 swap. Furthermore, BIOS flashing always has a chance of bricking a motherboard and should never be done unless there is an issue with your existing hardware not working correctly.

It is if you are on a 100 series motherboard and you are upgrading to a kabylake i5. The 100 series motherboards came out before kabylake existed so they didn't come with bios that supports kabylake. Generally speaking yes you really shouldn't flash updated bios unless you really need to but in the specific case I stated above it would be necessary.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

if

Stop, just stop.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Stop, just stop.

No I'm not going to stop. You said something that isn't true 100% of the time so if OP happens to be one of those people upgrade from a skylake i3 to a kabylake i5 they need to know all the facts. You could have mislead op into think they didn't need a bios update when doing that type of upgrade and they would be quite upset when they install the new i5 only time find the system won't post. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

No I'm not going to stop. You said something that isn't true 100% of the time so if OP happens to be one of those people upgrade from a skylake i3 to a kabylake i5 they need to know all the facts. You could have mislead op into think they didn't need a bios update when doing that type of upgrade and they would be quite upset when they install the new i5 only time find the system won't post. 

He can flash if there's a problem, but simply saying you need to flash BIOS when switching from i3 to i7 is irresponsible. 99.9% of the time its is not necessary, and can often result in a dead motherboard due to a corrupted BIOS after a failed flash. Again, you are talkiing about the exception and in the case of a new PCer, we should try to steer them clear of things like killing their motherboard. I'm not saying your wrong in your statement, just that it doubtfully applies and my first statement is true.

BIOS flashing always has a chance of bricking a motherboard and should never be done unless there is an issue with your existing hardware not working correctly

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

3 minutes ago, asand1 said:

He can flash if there's a problem, but simply saying you need to flash BIOS when switching from i3 to i7 is irresponsible. 99.9% of the time its is not necessary, and can often result in a dead motherboard due to a corrupted BIOS after a failed flash. Again, you are talkiing about the exception and in the case of a new PCer, we should try to steer them clear of things like killing their motherboard. I'm not saying your wrong in your statement, just that it doubtfully applies and my first statement is true.

Yes but at the same time it is also always a good idea to make sure they are the exception of the rule. Nobody told them to update their bios always. They said to update the bios if it's a certain situation which is alot more common than you make it out to be. Also bricking a motherboard isn't as common as you make it out to be.