Is Internet 150 worth it?

Daniel Z.

So my family just got Internet 60 from shaw (we used to have 30) and it is pretty good. They used the modem/router combo instead of our DIR-822 and it is around the same, maybe 1ms slower ping. A frequent load is 2 video streams from my parents and my grandma, with me using Spotify and gaming/using Docs for homework. I also upload Youtube but I have had to stop cause of Shaw's crap upload speeds.

I have no idea what that company is or what speeds it has. Can you tell us what speeds you are getting?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

7 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

I have no idea what that company is or what speeds it has. Can you tell us what speeds you are getting?

You must not be from Western Canada, Shaw is one of the largest most prominent telecom companies in the region.

18 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

So my family just got Internet 60 from shaw (we used to have 30) and it is pretty good. They used the modem/router combo instead of our DIR-822 and it is around the same, maybe 1ms slower ping. A frequent load is 2 video streams from my parents and my grandma, with me using Spotify and gaming/using Docs for homework. I also upload Youtube but I have had to stop cause of Shaw's crap upload speeds.

Depending on where you live, Shaw's 150 may not actually deliver 150. Where I live, we had Shaw 100 and only got about half of that. We are now on Telus and get 120/120 perfectly with no drops because it is fibre.

Do you download a lot?  Then yes.  Do you game online and does the company offer decreased latency with the higher connection speed?  Then yes.  Do you have a lot of people watching Netflix at the same time in different rooms?  Then maybe.

37 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

i'd go with Telus in the Edmonton area

I have 150/150 and I couldn't be happier

6402105852.png

:o Here in Australia the absolute best speed you can get is 115/5 or 100/40...

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson

Just now, NPSTR107 said:

:o Here in Australia the absolute best speed you can get is 115/5 or 100/40...

yeah most people can only get 100/20 or 50/10 max from Telus

I'm lucky to have FTTH

Shaw sucks, telus has much better reliability and symmetrical fiber.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

around 70down and 7 up. Shaw is one of canada`s largest ISPs

25 minutes ago, Enderman said:

28 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

I'm lucky to have FTTH

I can get Telus Fibre 150

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

I can get Telus Fibre 150

Then do it, it's definitely worth it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

I'm lucky to have FTTH

I also have FTTH, we have 100/20 (which actually comes out to more like 120/120) but my dad said we would be upgrading to 150 soon. I'm in Calgary BTW

@reecer11 100/20 was for bonded VDSL....you're on a FTTH synchronous plan its possible that they never really updated that info, as Telus took that one off almost as soon as they started with FTTH

as still, its an unadvertised plan that you seem to only be able to get with their retention dept as most of their VDSL footprint can't get it

11 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

@reecer11 100/20 was for bonded VDSL....you're on a FTTH synchronous plan its possible that they never really updated that info, as Telus took that one off almost as soon as they started with FTTH

as still, its an unadvertised plan that you seem to only be able to get with their retention dept as most of their VDSL footprint can't get it

no, remember what i said, even through the plan is technically 100/20, i am getting 120/120 flawlesdly. I am on pure FTTH.

9 hours ago, reecer11 said:

no, remember what i said, even through the plan is technically 100/20, i am getting 120/120 flawlesdly. I am on pure FTTH.

Telus split their FTTH and FTTN plans a while back to rename FTTH plans to "pure fibre Optik internet" once they started the big push last year

since you're on a grandfathered plan, that would be why the no name change

you might even get more speed and a higher cap with 150 at a lower price to compete with shaw

Hi, I've just changed to Internet 150 today and I'd say it's pretty good. The only reason why we're in Shaw is that Telus doesn't support Fiber in our location yet.

I'm very impressed with this speed.

6406468436.png

Telus seems to have upped their 150/150 package to 250/250 

6426168754.png

it seems to be a very recent change, but if it truly is here to stay :) 

On 23/06/2017 at 10:07 PM, Daniel Z. said:

So... are you asking if Internet 150/15 is worth it for the speed alone, or do you have a problem with Internet 60 at the moment? Just asking, because a speed upgrade won't necessarily solve latency problems or shitty modem/router combo units that all ISPs in Canada require us to use.

We switched from Internet 30/5 to 150/15 back in January and couldn't be happier - mostly because they stopped calling us about going over these imaginary "data cap" things that ISPs still seem insistent on imposing on us. Went with the Cisco DCP-3848v modem/router unit instead of the Hitron CGNM-2250 because [TOO MANY REASONS] and had them bridge it so I could use a real router (a Netgear R7000 running AdvancedTomato firmware) instead of a potato.

During the afternoon and evening, we get around 130Mbps average, mostly because kids are home from school now, but late at night I've been able to pull as much as 186Mbps down. Upload speed is always a consistent average of 16Mbps in our area, probably because no one on our neighborhood network node uploads as much as I do. ahem Gotta see them Linux ISO torrents.

On 23/06/2017 at 11:17 PM, Enderman said:

Until you need to phone Telus support for troubleshooting or billing issues... however, I can't argue with fibre to the node being better for latency and speed consistency. (I mean, I could, since fibre to the home is objectively better, but everyone would need to pony up a few thousand dollars to have such a thing run in their neighborhood.) The only thing I still loath with Telus is that (as far as I'm aware) you still cannot bridge the ActionTec modems they provide. Unless this has changed...

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

Until you need to phone Telus support for troubleshooting or billing issues...

I haven't had any problem with their support.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I haven't had any problem with their support.

Then either you got lucky, or more likely it's changed now or is different depending on where you're calling from. Whenever we've had to call for home phone issues, they'd shrug off the line static issues as being a problem inside our house when we knew it was the line from the node and telephone pole to our house. (A good friends' dad works for Telus as a linesman and personally inspected the lines for us one day - he didn't want to fix them as he wasn't technically assigned to work in our area, but he confirmed there was indeed water in the 30 year old lines.) However, our neighbors do have and enjoy their Telus home phone and internet, so maybe we were the ones with the bad luck.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Then either you got lucky, or more likely it's changed now or is different depending on where you're calling from. Whenever we've had to call for home phone issues, they'd shrug off the line static issues as being a problem inside our house when we knew it was the line from the node and telephone pole to our house. (A good friends' dad works for Telus as a linesman and personally inspected the lines for us one day - he didn't want to fix them as he wasn't technically assigned to work in our area, but he confirmed there was indeed water in the 30 year old lines.) However, our neighbors do have and enjoy their Telus home phone and internet, so maybe we were the ones with the bad luck.

They're not going to spend thousands of dollars replacing old copper lines because some people complain about static.

This is just common sense.

It's 2017, 90% of people use cell phones, not landlines.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

They're not going to spend thousands of dollars replacing old copper lines because some people complain about static.

This is just common sense.

It's 2017, 90% of people use cell phones, not landlines.

Right, so because we pay for a service they offer it means we should not care about the quality of service? While you're not wrong that I do use my mobile phone most of the time, we still have a landline for both business and personal use. Some online business services actually require a landline phone to verify your business. Facebook Pages are one of them. (For example, you cannot verify your business phone using a number Facebook considers to be a mobile personal number.)

Car dealerships don't provide 3 out of 5 lug nuts for your tires just because you bought a Honda Element / PT Cruiser / whatever car happens to be the least popular car of the year. Same logic could apply to people who order bagels with Marmalade / Marmite / Vegimite on them.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a pissing fight about ISPs - all Canadian ISPs can be good and bad at times because the CRTC barely regulate them.

Telus did eventually replace the line from the node at the end of the street, down the road, and from the pole to our house when they did a major upgrade a few years ago, so the problem did get fixed. Our issue was with the number of times on and off over 5 years that we told supervisors about the problem before they went ahead and fixed it. To me, level and quality of service are indeed important, but will forever be second to level and quality of customer support and understanding a company provides.