What makes Ryzen chips better than most Intel chips? 

Go to solution Solved by tom_w141,
1 minute ago, Draconid said:

Hello,

I just simply wanted to ask, what makes the Ryzen chips better than most Intel chips? 

Nothing they aren't "better" their price to performance is great which makes them really appealing. The only place in the product stack you could argue they are outright better is i5 vs R5 and that is because 6c/12t is just so much more future proof and compute powerful than a 4c/4thread already at its limits.

The best CPU for you comes entirely down to your budget and intended use.

Gaming and absolutely nothing else? You can't beat the 7700k, not even the Intel HEDT X99/X299 can.

Gaming on a budget of $200 with light multitasking/streaming? The R5 1600 really shines here and is a great buy.

Gaming on an ultra low budget? The Pentium G4560 is a budget beast especially when paired with a RX 570 for example (unfortunately this great budget combo is not as viable right now due to the inflation we are seeing with GPUs due to mining).

Gaming and workstation/streaming use with a $300 budget? The R7 1700 fits great in to this price bracket and offers excellent bang for buck. Only lagging behind the much more expensive X299  enthusiast CPUs by ~ 15% on average in workstation tasks.

Enthusiast with no budget? Look at X99, X299 and Threadripper (X399). These are expensive prosumer grade products for those who need all the horsepower they can get either for work purposes or as a hobby, often build around large custom loops like @done12many2. they have trade offs like price and power consumption for example but worth is entirely subjective and if it is your hobby or livelihood then the expense can be worth it to be the best.

In conclusion there are options for everyone you just have to decide upon your budget and ideal use case.

Hello,

I just simply wanted to ask, what makes the Ryzen chips better than most Intel chips? 

AMD Ryzen cpus that are on the same performance level as Intel ones cost less by a significant margin. That means you can get better products for the same amount of money.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Value. Yes, I'm aware a 7700k has better single core performance, no I don't think that is worth the $100 premium when my chip crushes in workloads and still has decent single core performance overclocked.

3b2f69b531.png

b85003c783.png

While the 7700k might score a few FPS higher, even higher than that in some games, the price to performance is better on Ryzen chips, and in anything other than gaming, Ryzen chips will absolutely destroy their equally priced Intel competitors.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 minute ago, Draconid said:

Hello,

Nothing they aren't "better" their price to performance is great which makes them really appealing. The only place in the product stack you could argue they are outright better is i5 vs R5 and that is because 6c/12t is just so much more future proof and compute powerful than a 4c/4thread already at its limits.

Gaming and absolutely nothing else? You can't beat the 7700k, not even the Intel HEDT X99/X299 can.

Gaming on a budget of $200 with light multitasking/streaming? The R5 1600 really shines here and is a great buy.

Gaming on an ultra low budget? The Pentium G4560 is a budget beast especially when paired with a RX 570 for example (unfortunately this great budget combo is not as viable right now due to the inflation we are seeing with GPUs due to mining).

Gaming and workstation/streaming use with a $300 budget? The R7 1700 fits great in to this price bracket and offers excellent bang for buck. Only lagging behind the much more expensive X299  enthusiast CPUs by ~ 15% on average in workstation tasks.

Enthusiast with no budget? Look at X99, X299 and Threadripper (X399). These are expensive prosumer grade products for those who need all the horsepower they can get either for work purposes or as a hobby, often build around large custom loops like @done12many2. they have trade offs like price and power consumption for example but worth is entirely subjective and if it is your hobby or livelihood then the expense can be worth it to be the best.

In conclusion there are options for everyone you just have to decide upon your budget and ideal use case.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I hope you saw mine as I typed more than a line :P 

I did :P thanks for the answer :D 

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Prob the most detailed answer. There is no AMD vs Intel, it's more get the chip that fits your particular criteria.

PC I built for my GFs mom uses a Pentium G4560. GFs PC uses a 6700k (old rig because hers was dying) and a Ryzen 1600 for me since i5 price for crazy performance. ?

12 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

There is no AMD vs Intel

Well... that's not really true on the HEDT front and unless I'm wrong about AMD's strategy its definitely not true on the server front. AMD has effectively declared war on Intel's server and by association with Intel's latest iteration of the platform HEDT pricing and upgrade structure. Their gameplan with Gen1 EPYC is nothing less than an attempt to knock out Intel's low to medium performance end server business. Meanwhile, Intel declared war on the consumer with their plans for the HEDT platform, which was a pretty blatant attempt to bring the nickel and diming of their server architecture to the consumer space.