4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

This?  THIS is your new forum name?

I'm unfriending you right now.

Embrace the memes.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Just now, GabenJr said:

Embrace the memes.

You are cut off from my Guncon expertise!

I invite you all to visit this video comment section on how Linus went from "Intel screwd, they really did and you should definetly wait for Threadripper before making any rushed decisions" to "This was a great release, for those rocking Broadwell-E's you should definetly consider an upgrade, dont mind AMD releasing Threadripper with 64 pcie lanes or Epyc with 128 pcie lanes for the supreme enthusiasts, no no".

I liked the video, but like many have stated Intel had a word and a ball pen when the script was made for this video.

Groomlake Authority

28 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I invite you all to visit this video comment section on how Linus went from "Intel screwd, they really did and you should definetly wait for Threadripper before making any rushed decisions" to "This was a great release, for those rocking Broadwell-E's you should definetly consider an upgrade, dont mind AMD releasing Threadripper with 64 pcie lanes or Epyc with 128 pcie lanes for the supreme enthusiasts, no no".

I liked the video, but like many have stated Intel had a word and a ball pen when the script was made for this video.

It kinda seems like you didn't pay close attention while watching the video... (or maybe you didn't watch until the conclusion I guess, but then I'd be questioning why you're commenting on the video at all...)

Either way, here's our conclusion, word for word:

"So 7900X then? Great performance, and compared to Broadwell-E, GREAT price. Great release then, right? In a vacuum, yes, but.. the elephant that hasn’t yet entered the room is AMD’s Threadripper. Intel is faced with the disadvantage of having shot first with X299, and AMD has some time to tweak their upcoming “Threadripper” CPU lineup which it’s said will be available with up to 16 cores and SIXTY FOUR PCIe lanes.. so they COULD put the gears to Intel on pricing – at which time Intel – whose 12, 14, 16, and 18 core models will be arriving between August and Q4 this year – will have to figure how to respond, if at all!
… So you know what? I AM still frustrated that it took Intel this long to wake up.. and I DO still think this CPU lineup is unnecessarily confusing, but WHATEVER their motivation – AMD’s innovation or their unconditional love for enthusiasts – it’s true. This is a great release because we’re back to Intel and AMD playing leapfrog, and that’s just great!"

So to address your points...

Linus said this was a great release

He said it would be a great release in a vacuum. AKA without Threadripper coming along in an unspecified amount of time, and without all of the garbage that they're doing with different "levels" of X299 chips (which is fully explained in the Taipei video that was referenced early in the Core i9 review - it would be a waste of everyone's time to simply reiterate points we've already made when we can simply reference to another video on our channel. Referencing other videos for further information is something we do all the time).

for those rocking Broadwell-E's you should definitely consider an upgrade

We don't even come CLOSE to saying that. What we did say is that the 7900X provides a better value than Broadwell-E did at its ridiculous $1,700 pricepoint... "... and compared to Broadwell-E, GREAT price" is the closest line I can find to what you're claiming here. That's true - $1,000 for a 10-Core CPU is a better value than $1,700 for a 10-Core CPU.

don't mind AMD releasing Threadripper with 64 pcie lanes

The 64 PCIe lanes on Threadripper were referenced directly in the conclusion. Epyc is a server chip, so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to compare a 7900X to Epyc.

Tl;dr watching or reading reviews and other content online with a certain level of doubt is a fantastic practice, and I encourage you to read/watch multiple sources (and do your own independent research if possible) before forming an opinion on anything. But when you're making claims about how we're essentially paid shills for Intel, at least make sure your claims are actually backed up by fact before you attempt to make them.

23 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

-snip-

Well it is true that there is no point in referencing what was said in detail in another video entirely, but from what he said before to what he said now is what made me comment the way i did. But yes, what you said is true.

I suppose like he said, perhaps the 12-18 wont be competitive at all, but honestly i cant even stand looking at an I5 and I7 mainstream in an enthusiast platform.

Well then i apologise if i offended the team. I suppose until Threadripper is launched, conclusions cant be made so deeply.

Groomlake Authority

4 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well it is true that there is no point in referencing what was said in detail in another video entirely, but from what he said before to what he said now is what made me comment the way i did. But yes, what you said is true.

I suppose like he said, perhaps the 12-18 wont be competitive at all, but honestly i cant even stand looking at an I5 and I7 mainstream in an enthusiast platform.

Well then i apologise if i offended the team. I suppose until Threadripper is launched, conclusions cant be made so deeply.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly see where you're coming from - it's a very different look at Core i9 in general than the last video was. But that is by design.

The main difference here is that this isn't a speculative piece about Intel's direction as a company or their marketing strategy - it's an evaluation of the performance of a physical chip that we have in our office. And whether we like their direction as a company or not, it's a badass piece of hardware with badass performance. That's why the review was relatively positive - if you have unlimited money to spend, it's probably the best "enthusiast" chip that you can buy on the market today.

It's not about offending us, it's about being truthful and ensuring accuracy of information when commenting. Your comment had the potential to severely misinform someone who hadn't yet watched the video, not just about the content of the video itself, but on our position as a review outlet. That's a dangerous thing, and shouldn't be taken as lightly as most people tend to take it these days.

Either way, thanks for the follow-up. Once you watch our Threadripper content you should have the full story about our thoughts on this market segment in general. I'm looking forward to checking out what AMD will bring to the table :D 

The downside of this "new era" of competition is that Intel looks forced to release something to fight AMD, so we are left with this messed up generation of CPUs.

Now I am curious about the price evolution for Z270, if the 7700k drops even more in price it may be a bargain since it still performs on a quite high level for most of the tasks.

The whole situation is rushed by Intel, hopefully threadripper is a beast, so we can all laugh at Intels pricing.

This video has left me confused.

My understanding is Kabylake is the most recent architecture on the consumer side, with Skylake being the previous one.

But on the Kaby-X is the stripped down version on the enthusiast side, with Skylake-X being the flagship here? 

Is that right or did I miss something along the line?

19 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you can get a decent motherboard for Z270 for less and thats STARTING at $150 for the low end boards that nobody wants anyway. the decent boards are going to be way more expensive then that. 

Going off of what X99 and prior established, the enthusiast platform boards' "low" end starts out at the same quality as an equivalent Z270 in terms of price. If you're spending below the entry cost of X299, chances are high that your buying a lower quality board, that "nobody wants  anyway."

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 hours ago, GabenJr said:

I believe that's an error on my part... It's the weighted average of all results, without the final "divide by price" step.

It should actually look like this:

BjlZO5U.jpg

EDIT: There is now a separate correction thread with this fixed slide, and there is a card on YouTube when the slide appears. Sadly, it's more difficult to make corrections to a video once it's live than at any other time in the process - And certainly more difficult than print. :( 

Considering the 1700 is basically an 1800X I'd love to see the 1700 OC to 4GHz on this slide. Also hopefully there will be a similar slide when Threadripper is launched?

12 hours ago, nicklmg said:

It kinda seems like you didn't pay close attention while watching the video... (or maybe you didn't watch until the conclusion I guess, but then I'd be questioning why you're commenting on the video at all...)

Either way, here's our conclusion, word for word:

"So 7900X then? Great performance, and compared to Broadwell-E, GREAT price. Great release then, right? In a vacuum, yes, but.. the elephant that hasn’t yet entered the room is AMD’s Threadripper. Intel is faced with the disadvantage of having shot first with X299, and AMD has some time to tweak their upcoming “Threadripper” CPU lineup which it’s said will be available with up to 16 cores and SIXTY FOUR PCIe lanes.. so they COULD put the gears to Intel on pricing – at which time Intel – whose 12, 14, 16, and 18 core models will be arriving between August and Q4 this year – will have to figure how to respond, if at all!
… So you know what? I AM still frustrated that it took Intel this long to wake up.. and I DO still think this CPU lineup is unnecessarily confusing, but WHATEVER their motivation – AMD’s innovation or their unconditional love for enthusiasts – it’s true. This is a great release because we’re back to Intel and AMD playing leapfrog, and that’s just great!"

So to address your points...

Linus said this was a great release

He said it would be a great release in a vacuum. AKA without Threadripper coming along in an unspecified amount of time, and without all of the garbage that they're doing with different "levels" of X299 chips (which is fully explained in the Taipei video that was referenced early in the Core i9 review - it would be a waste of everyone's time to simply reiterate points we've already made when we can simply reference to another video on our channel. Referencing other videos for further information is something we do all the time).

for those rocking Broadwell-E's you should definitely consider an upgrade

We don't even come CLOSE to saying that. What we did say is that the 7900X provides a better value than Broadwell-E did at its ridiculous $1,700 pricepoint... "... and compared to Broadwell-E, GREAT price" is the closest line I can find to what you're claiming here. That's true - $1,000 for a 10-Core CPU is a better value than $1,700 for a 10-Core CPU.

don't mind AMD releasing Threadripper with 64 pcie lanes

The 64 PCIe lanes on Threadripper were referenced directly in the conclusion. Epyc is a server chip, so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to compare a 7900X to Epyc.

Tl;dr watching or reading reviews and other content online with a certain level of doubt is a fantastic practice, and I encourage you to read/watch multiple sources (and do your own independent research if possible) before forming an opinion on anything. But when you're making claims about how we're essentially paid shills for Intel, at least make sure your claims are actually backed up by fact before you attempt to make them.

Rek't

7 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

-snip-

Yes, but it was just a discussion, not a wild animal cursing machine contest argument between Nick and me.

I was wrong to claim things they didnt stated in the video, but im at least glad they noticed and replied back to show they make great content and will protect it with the right level of justice, while also clearing some of the confusion other users get.

I got rekt, but Intel is still great and so is LMG and that is none of your business, when you werent called in in the 1st place.

Thanks.

Groomlake Authority

3 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Yes, but it was just a discussion, not a wild animal cursing machine contest argument between Nick and me.

I was wrong to claim things they didnt stated in the video, but im at least glad they noticed and replied back to show they make great content and will protect it with the right level of justice, while also clearing some of the confusion other users get.

I got rekt, but Intel is still great and so is LMG and that is none of your business, when you werent called in in the 1st place.

Thanks.

1. Why did you snip a 1 word quote? xD You added characters by doing that...

2. Defensive much. You deserve the response you got as you made your own interpretations which were proven wrong and deconstructed on a point by point basis by Nick. so yes Rek't was adequate.

3. Its a forum so its everyone's business

21 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

-snip-

If you are done, great.

But i wont be listening from you anymore either, its taking space in my notification list.

Groomlake Authority

Looks impressive in comparison to the others.

Can someone even explain why there is a Skylake-X and a Kaby Lake-X variant. I feel so confused in all of this. like, why?!?! 

35 minutes ago, Frode said:

Can someone even explain why there is a Skylake-X and a Kaby Lake-X variant. I feel so confused in all of this. like, why?!?! 

I thought skylake x should be like i5 6640X

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol