Dell XPS 8700 GPU upgrade help

I have a Dell XPS 8700 desktop and I want to upgrade to a GTX 1060 or 1070. But I don't know if my PC or my PSU can handle them

2560x1440 Monitor

16 gigs of RAM

GTX 745 (OEM) GPU

Intel I7 CPU

Some Dell branded motherboard

Well, what PSU is it? The GPU can fit depending on the clearance in your case and the size of the GPU which can be found in their specifications of it.

(Everything else can handle it, 1060 and 1070 are great cards for 1440p gaming.)

6 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

Well, what PSU is it? The GPU can fit depending on the clearance in your case and the size of the GPU which can be found in their specifications of it.

(Everything else can handle it, 1060 and 1070 are great cards for 1440p gaming.)

I forgot to mention this, it is a 460 watt pSU. I also was wondering if I need to mworry about connector pins for the new card

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Looks like a 460W power supply.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/174882/Dell-XPS-8700-Desktop-PC-Intel/

What does the 106 or 1070 require?  Does it have PCIE power availible?  The link above says it comes with a GT720 that you'd be replacing with the 1060 right?

There are different models to this PC. Mine has a gtx 745

3 minutes ago, TheRam said:

There are different models to this PC. Mine has a gtx 745

Got it.

A 1060 wants a 400W power supply with PCIE power, a 1070 500W.  I'd change the power supply to something better  and then you'll be able to run whichever card you want.

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Got it.

A 1060 wants a 400W power supply with PCIE power, a 1070 500W.  I'd change the power supply to something better  and then you'll be able to run whichever card you want.

Any recommendations... I guess I will go with a 650 it 700 watt

This is the big list of PSUs based on quality tiers and efficiency ratings.  I personally have a corsair 750 RMi that has been bulletproof, but there are a lot of choices at 600-700 watts.  Tier 1 and 2, you basically can't go wrong as long as you go the $$$.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

This is the big list of PSUs based on quality tiers and efficiency ratings.  I personally have a corsair 750 RMi that has been bulletproof, but there are a lot of choices at 600-700 watts.  Tier 1 and 2, you basically can't go wrong as long as you go the $$$.

$$$ is a bit much... Especially when I want to get a GPU... Is anything at $$ even worth looking at?

I'd check to make sure that your dell pc doesn't have proprietary connectors

13 minutes ago, RotoCoreOne said:

I'd check to make sure that your dell pc doesn't have proprietary connectors

For what parts tho... I've seen some people on YouTube who have upgraded the GPU and psu

Check the current power supply for PCIE connectors.  If it has enough for the 1060, then technically, at 460W it is good enough to run one.  If it doesn't have any then you need to get a new PSU anyway.

2 hours ago, TheRam said:

For what parts tho... I've seen some people on YouTube who have upgraded the GPU and psu

If the psu in that dell doesn't have pcie connectors for a gpu then you'll need to change out the psu. However, I know that some dell pcs do not use a standard 24 pin motherboard connector. So you need to make sure you'll be able to power everything correctly with a new psu.

Edit: Looking up the xps 8700 looks like a standard motherboard. so that shouldn't be a big concern if you need to change out the psu

I am going to open up the computer in the near future anyway to check dimensions, i will check connectors then to... i was never able to find the Motherboard specs online cause its a specific dell one thats not on any sites like PCPartpicker. And yeah im gonna have to change out the psu no matter what cause any modern GPU is gonna need more. I wonder if dell sells their own psu? or i could get one from a different dell?