''Acer founder steps in to save company as CEO and president resigns''

TopWargamer

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/21/5129070/acer-founder-steps-in-to-save-company-as-ceo-and-president-resign

Jim Wong, who had been occupying the president's seat up to this point, was slated to take over from Wang as CEO from the start of next year — but now Acer is completely scrapping the CEO position and concentrating decision making power in Shih's hands. Acer's press release states that Wang and Wong will be retained as "advisors to ensure a smooth transition." The former CEO duties will be handed off to either the chairman or president, which Acer expects will "boost the company's decision making efficiency." That will undeniably be true in the initial stages when Shih will fill both roles, though he's only going to be interim president — the role will be filled permanently as soon as a suitable candidate is identified. Fellow Acer co-founder George Huang is also joining the management team.

Hopefully he'll be able to turn the company around. Honestly, I didn't even know that Acer was in this much trouble. Let's just the founder/now CEO can turn in some profit.

COMIC SANS

Wang and Wong.

I'm sorry but that's funny. :P

So basically "You're ruining my fucking company GTFO"

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

i'm pretty surprised acer is in trouble too :S never heard about it until now..

Same, thought they were doing fine.

Wang and Wong.

I,m sorry but that's funny. :P

I couldn't help but laugh as well.

>_>

COMIC SANS

Wang and Wong.

I,m sorry but that's funny. :P

Say's the person who made a thread bitching about discrimination 

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Say's the person who made a thread bitching about discrimination

Because it's not about their names sounding almost alike or something, no...

Also a failed ad hominem attack. Weak.

Scurry off now troll.

The S7 looks great and hopefully I'm going to be getting one in the next month or so but they don't really have any sort of market share like ASUS do which doesn't create much of a profit

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

acer just bring a sub $1000 4k ips monitor to market u may loose money at first but u will end up profiting from the demand u get and put a 4k panel in your s7 laptop.

acer just bring a sub $1000 4k ips monitor to market u may loose money at first but u will end up profiting from the demand u get and put a 4k panel in your s7 laptop.

Not sure if serious...

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/21/5129070/acer-founder-steps-in-to-save-company-as-ceo-and-president-resign

Hopefully he'll be able to turn the company around. Honestly, I didn't even know that Acer was in this much trouble. Let's just the founder/now CEO can turn in some profit.

I heard at the start of the year that acer got caught dealing with the yakuza  .... might have something do with this

Its all about those volumetric clouds

i'm pretty surprised acer is in trouble too :S never heard about it until now..

The worst notebook I've ever used in my history of computing was a POS Acer.

The worst notebook I've ever used in my history of computing was a POS Acer.

the worst phone i ever used was an old nokia phone but that doesn't mean they're a bad company.. what's your point?

the worst phone i ever used was an old nokia phone but that doesn't mean they're a bad company.. what's your point?

The point is that I rank Acer as a low tier company just barely above generic brand status for their past products. I'm not the only one who doesn't care for Acer, either.

The point is that I rank Acer as a low tier company just barely above generic brand status for their past products. I'm not the only one who doesn't care for Acer, either.

I have a 24" 1920x1200 Acer monitor that's been a solid one for me, it was one of their higher end models and I haven't had any problems at all.  There are people who "don't care for" any brand you can name for one reason or another, that doesn't change the fact that Acer is a major brand in computers and displays.  I haven't looked at their stuff recently, but that's more because what I'm looking for in a display doesn't exist currently, Asus, BenQ, Samsung and the other top tier companies don't have anything either. 

Plus, let's be honest here:  4k isn't the next big thing, it'll be well over 5 years before anyone cares about 4k.  Let's start by getting 1440p and 1600p 120hz lightboost or g-sync monitors on the market and get game engines that are rendered in that resolution natively.  Even if 4k screens become more affordable pushing to 120hz is more important than the jump to 4k from 1440 or 1600 since no content will be rendered in native 4k for many, many years.  People don't even realize half the time that higher resolutions are upscaled, would you rather bluray or upscaled 1080p dvd?  Thought so...

I have a 24" 1920x1200 Acer monitor that's been a solid one for me, it was one of their higher end models and I haven't had any problems at all.  There are people who "don't care for" any brand you can name for one reason or another, that doesn't change the fact that Acer is a major brand in computers and displays.  I haven't looked at their stuff recently, but that's more because what I'm looking for in a display doesn't exist currently, Asus, BenQ, Samsung and the other top tier companies don't have anything either. 

Plus, let's be honest here:  4k isn't the next big thing, it'll be well over 5 years before anyone cares about 4k.  Let's start by getting 1440p and 1600p 120hz lightboost or g-sync monitors on the market and get game engines that are rendered in that resolution natively.  Even if 4k screens become more affordable pushing to 120hz is more important than the jump to 4k from 1440 or 1600 since no content will be rendered in native 4k for many, many years.  People don't even realize half the time that higher resolutions are upscaled, would you rather bluray or upscaled 1080p dvd?  Thought so...

Higher end monitors are either Samsung or LG with some fancy shell since they are the ones who make the panels, just because it's branded as Acer is a moot point.,

4k is already here, And alot of people care about 4k. We are about to have somewhat affordable 4k monitors next year so that's a start. I'm guessing it will be more like 2-3 years.

4k is already here, And alot of people care about 4k. We are about to have somewhat affordable 4k monitors next year so that's a start. I'm guessing it will be more like 2-3 years.

When I say people won't care about it you should read that as "A significant portion of the market".  Right now 1080p is FINALLY becoming the defacto resolution, it's still not even an overwhelming majority.  If you look at some of the Steam numbers it shows people at 1440p as a very small fraction of the population of gamers, 4k is a fraction of a fraction.  Plus, the bigger point was the content.  1080p was available for several years without ANY content.  You could upscale, sure, but the point I was making is that upscaling isn't native.

Right now there isn't a single game studio in the world putting out games rendered in native 4k.  I don't know this for a fact, but I'd wager most of them aren't even rendering above 1080p.  That means that most games are being upscaled to 1440p and so you aren't getting the same quality you will when the engines are updated.  Engines don't get rebuilt that frequently, they get optimized and tweaked.  Going to an entirely new resolution means a complete refresh of the graphical engine, that takes years.  I say 4-5 years minimum because the game development life cycle is several years even on titles like CoD which are really just rehashes of the same game with slight tweaks to the engine and a lot of map-making.  By the time someone refreshes a couple of the major engines, the game studios develop a game on it and it hits the mass market 4k will have been out for EASILY 5 years, if not closer to 10. 

That's the point, game makers are concerned with profit.  They don't care about new technology until it saturates the market.  4k isn't going to saturate the market anytime soon, I'd argue 1440p might not EVER.  But 4k 120hz isn't even reasonable on todays hardware, so even if they could render games today in that resolution it's still a LONG WAYS OFF.