Compressed Air for Pc Cleaning

Go to solution Solved by rn8686,

Depends on how liberally you use it, but should at least for a few months (3-6 probably). I waste it a bit and use it to clean my keyboard, but if careful, it should last for a while. 

I am looking to buy some compressed air for cleaning an old PC. How long do you think 200ml will last.

Thanks

Depends on how liberally you use it, but should at least for a few months (3-6 probably). I waste it a bit and use it to clean my keyboard, but if careful, it should last for a while. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, rn8686 said:

Thanks

Dont use compressed air to clean dust.  Use a vacuum.  Blowing air just forces the dust into places you dont want it and scatters it around. 

1 hour ago, hotbrass said:

Dont use compressed air to clean dust.  Use a vacuum.  Blowing air just forces the dust into places you dont want it and scatters it around. 

No! Vacuums create static electricity.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

1 hour ago, hotbrass said:

That's a terrible suggestion.  It generates static electricity, and can ruin electronics.

I got an air compressor so I didn't have to spend tons of money on canned air.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Guess what, moving air generates static electricity.  So blowing air generates static electricity!  Blowing dirt and other stuff into the small areas of your computer is a terrrible suggestion.

3 minutes ago, hotbrass said:

Guess what, moving air generates static electricity.  So blowing air generates static electricity!  Blowing dirt and other stuff into the small areas of your computer is a terrrible suggestion.

That's not what causes static.  It's the metal coil in a vacuum cleaner.  You can get vacuum cleaners that don't have metal coils, and therefore don't create static electricity, but they're much more expensive and are usually fragile.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

How does ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) occur?

ESD can occur in a variety of forms. One of the most common is through human contact with sensitive devices. Human touch is only sensitive on ESD levels that exceed 4,000V.

A recent investigation found the human body and its clothing capable of storing between 500V and 2,500V electrostatic during the normal workday. This is far above the level that damages circuits yet below the human perception threshold. Other sources of ESD damage to equipment include:

• Troubleshooting electronic equipment or handling of printed circuit boards without using an electrostatic wrist strap;

• Placement of synthetic materials (i.e. plastic, Styrofoam, etc.) on or near electronic equipment; and

• Rapid movement of air near electronic equipment (including using compressed air to blow dirt off printed circuit boards, circulating fans blowing on electronic equipment, or using an electronic device close to an air handling system).

In all of these scenarios, the accumulation of static charges may occur, but you may never know. Furthermore, a charged object does not necessarily have to contact the item for an ESD event to occur.

On 2017-5-23 at 1:56 AM, hotbrass said:

How does ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) occur?

ESD can occur in a variety of forms. One of the most common is through human contact with sensitive devices. Human touch is only sensitive on ESD levels that exceed 4,000V.

A recent investigation found the human body and its clothing capable of storing between 500V and 2,500V electrostatic during the normal workday. This is far above the level that damages circuits yet below the human perception threshold. Other sources of ESD damage to equipment include:

• Troubleshooting electronic equipment or handling of printed circuit boards without using an electrostatic wrist strap;

• Placement of synthetic materials (i.e. plastic, Styrofoam, etc.) on or near electronic equipment; and

• Rapid movement of air near electronic equipment (including using compressed air to blow dirt off printed circuit boards, circulating fans blowing on electronic equipment, or using an electronic device close to an air handling system).

In all of these scenarios, the accumulation of static charges may occur, but you may never know. Furthermore, a charged object does not necessarily have to contact the item for an ESD event to occur.

Ok, thanks, but you don't need to kill each other