Option to Join a domain in Windows 10 Home Edition is grayed out?

vibeit

Guys, I need to learn how to join a domain but my windows 10 PC's option to do this has been grayed out. How do I enable it?

grayedout.png

My system: CPU: Intel i5 6500; Mobo: H110M-k; GPU: Nvidia GT 730; Memory: 16 GB; HDD: 2x 1TB HDD;

you need to upgrade to pro. Home editions do not join domains because that is how MS gets the monies.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

you need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro to use that feature.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I wonder if you might need a different version other than home? Hmmm...

15 hours ago, NinJake said:

I wonder if you might need a different version other than home? Hmmm...

The others said it has to be pro or higher so yeah. Looks like I don't have a choice. I need to learn how to use Windows server and join a client to it for school tomorrow. Damn that microsoft, if only there was a student version for all their shit.

My system: CPU: Intel i5 6500; Mobo: H110M-k; GPU: Nvidia GT 730; Memory: 16 GB; HDD: 2x 1TB HDD;

Just now, vibeit said:

The others said it has to be pro or higher so yeah. Looks like I don't have a choice. I need to learn how to use Windows server and join a client to it for school tomorrow. Damn that microsoft, if only there was a student version for all their shit.

If you're in school for IT, more than likely they will have provided you with student access to dreamspark or e5 on the hub or whatever it's called these days.

You can download free ISOs of windows server, pro, etc... there!

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

If you're in school for IT, more than likely they will have provided you with student access to dreamspark or e5 on the hub or whatever it's called these days.

Also, if you don't have access to imagine premium, you can always grab technet evaluation of the enterprise version and throw it on an virtual machine. It gives you 90 days to play around with it.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

15 hours ago, NinJake said:

My school isn't exactly a high profile school. It's really more vocational. I'm learning how to repair PC troubleshooting and part of the course is learning how to set up a network for internet cafes and such.

I went to a technical college in the area... not a university or anything special. They still gave access to us. If you can't get a Pro license or higher, use your Google-Fu techniques to try and find simulated labs online. They are out there for the basic networking stuff and even the more advanced.

If worse comes to worst, just watch Youtube videos of whatever process you need to learn and take notes to the best of your ability. @vibeit

6 minutes ago, vibeit said:

My school isn't exactly a high profile school. It's really more vocational. I'm learning how to repair PC troubleshooting and part of the course is learning how to set up a network for internet cafes and such.

If you're in the CS or similar track, which it sounds like you are, check with them.

I went to a low profile college for my associates degree and had access to all the dreamspark and e5 stuff.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 hours ago, Lurick said:

If you're in the CS or similar track, which it sounds like you are, check with them.

I went to a low profile college for my associates degree and had access to all the dreamspark and e5 stuff.

I don't think our school has access to those but I'll ask tomorrow. If they don't yet, they might consider obtaining access to those resources.

Is this your main computer? If so you shouldn't be joining it to a test domain as it will do a lot of things behind the scenes.

What you do is grab virtualbox or hyper-v (if you upgrade your desktop to pro) and the evaluation versions of server and windows and use them. You can also download the windows 10 pro image from Microsoft and just use that without a key.

15 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

Is this your main computer? If so you shouldn't be joining it to a test domain as it will do a lot of things behind the scenes.

What you do is grab virtualbox or hyper-v (if you upgrade your desktop to pro) and the evaluation versions of server and windows and use them. You can also download the windows 10 pro image from Microsoft and just use that without a key.

I'm planning to use my i3 laptop as the server while my desktop as the client. The latter is my main PC now.

What OS is the server running?

I ask because a 'Domain' when used as something a windows computer join is referring to a Windows Active Directory Domain. These can only be created in a Windows Server OS.

What is it that you have been actually asked to do?

9 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

I ask because a 'Domain' when used as something a windows computer join is referring to a Windows Active Directory Domain. These can only be created in a Windows Server OS.

FYI, Microsoft didn't invent domains, they existed well before MS. You can make domains from any server really, it's just that Windows computers definable have a better time with Active Directory.

Look up RHDS, OpenSSO or Tivoli for mor info.

10 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

37 minutes ago, Blake said:

FYI, Microsoft didn't invent domains, they existed well before MS. You can make domains from any server really, it's just that Windows computers definable have a better time with Active Directory.

Look up RHDS, OpenSSO or Tivoli for mor info.

Well actually you can create a Windows domain using SAMBA and manage it using all the standard Windows RSAT tools. A Windows domain is nothing more than an LDAP directory/database and a bunch of special DNS srv records.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well actually you can create a Windows domain using SAMBA and manage it using all the standard Windows RSAT tools. A Windows domain is nothing more than an LDAP directory/database and a bunch of special DNS srv records.

Both of those are true but not the likely meaning of when someone is asked to join a windows computer to a domain. Also a windows 'domain' using SMB but no LDAP is called a workgroup.

3 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

Both of those are true but not the likely meaning of when someone is asked to join a windows computer to a domain. Also a windows 'domain' using SMB but no LDAP is called a workgroup.

Yea what I meant was Active Directory is an LDAP compliant database, stored in Microsoft Jet database format I believe, not that LDAP directories are called domains.

Edit:

Extensible Storage Engine (ESE), also known as JET Blue, is an ISAM (indexed sequential access method) data storage technology from Microsoft. ESE is the core of Microsoft Exchange Server, Active Directory, Branch Cache, and Windows Search.

On 5/11/2017 at 9:24 AM, NZLaurence said:

I forgot to mention that I installed Windows Server 2008 r2 on a laptop and tried to connect my Windows 10 Home edition desktop and that's where I discovered the grayed out option. I tried installing Windows 7 pro yesterday but the installer for windows is asking for some drivers. I tried inserting the mobo disc and my own Windows 7 Starter edition CD but it either won't work. The Windows 7 Pro a cd image in a USB flashdrive.