Choppy 10 bit 4k hevc playback using 960m

I recently purchased the 2016 dell 7559 with i7 6700hq, 8gb ram, 1tb sshd, 4gb gtx 960m with a 4k touch screen..
I tried playing a 4k 10bit hevc file hoping to get a taste of the display but faced choppy playback.

I tried using different players vlc, pot, mpc ,5k, kodi ..got the same results in all of them..in max performance mode
i'd like to know how to solve this.
PLEASE HELP! ..i really wanna enjoy the rich 4k content i downloaded on my new laptop

I'm not really sure, but don't think GTX960m has HW HEVC 10bit decoding; as far as I could find, only the desktop variants do (GTX950 and 960)

neither does the skylake's iGPU

you should stick with regular UHD, non 10bit, content

45 minutes ago, satannnitr said:

I recently purchased the 2016 dell 7559 with i7 6700hq, 8gb ram, 1tb sshd, 4gb gtx 960m with a 4k touch screen..
I tried playing a 4k 10bit hevc file hoping to get a taste of the display but faced choppy playback.

I tried using different players vlc, pot, mpc ,5k, kodi ..got the same results in all of them..in max performance mode
i'd like to know how to solve this.
PLEASE HELP! ..i really wanna enjoy the rich 4k content i downloaded on my new laptop

Have you forced the video players to use the dedicated gpu?

(right mouse button on the application > run with graphics processor > high performance nvidia processor)

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Yes, check if the discrete GPU is actually the one being used, or perhaps the 960M is just not capable of playing 4k video content, unfortunately.  Video playback at these high resolutions if often more demanding than you think.

What's the bit-rate? I had no problems playing 10-bit HEVC UHD content on an old Ivy Bridge 3570K and a GTX 770. The 6700HQ should be enough to play most of these files except at the highest bit-rates. 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

If i recall correctly 960m is GM107 chip. Which is closer to a 750Ti rather than a 960. 

750Ti didn't had even partial 4k HEVC decode while 960 had it full, 970 and 980 partial. I'd try CPU decoding through Pot player (changing the decode software/hardware is one click apart). 

Performance wise the hybrid decode was the fastest, while software (CPU) decode had the best of them all. 

You can forget about GPU decoding since GM107 did not bring HEVC 4K decode at all. 

Try to launch the hybrid Nvidia decode is your best bet if you can't handle it CPU only. 

@applebook bitrate is 66 Mbps ..
@faziten could you send a screenshot?.. i have changed the settings..just wanna make sure it's correct..

On 5/5/2017 at 3:50 AM, faziten said:

If i recall correctly 960m is GM107 chip. Which is closer to a 750Ti rather than a 960. 

750Ti didn't had even partial 4k HEVC decode while 960 had it full, 970 and 980 partial. I'd try CPU decoding through Pot player (changing the decode software/hardware is one click apart). 

Performance wise the hybrid decode was the fastest, while software (CPU) decode had the best of them all. 

You can forget about GPU decoding since GM107 did not bring HEVC 4K decode at all. 

Try to launch the hybrid Nvidia decode is your best bet if you can't handle it CPU only. 

You have to enable DXVA in PotPlayer like this video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smEpGNj077U

It will give you the best performance. It IS possible in 750Ti, which is GM107 just like your 960m.

Cheers!

16Mbps is nothing. Even without GPU assistance, your CPU should be able to handle it smoothly without breaking a sweat. 

Check your RAM usage. 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

On 5/10/2017 at 11:43 AM, applebook said:

16Mbps is nothing. Even without GPU assistance, your CPU should be able to handle it smoothly without breaking a sweat. 

Check your RAM usage. 

@applebook ram usage went to 60% with internal gpu..

with 960m it played fine but cpu usage went to 100 with dvxa enabled..