G-Sync or High Refresh Rate?

Impulse // Sam
Go to solution Solved by thenastyjbenny,

You won't need a gsync panel for a 1080. It's gonna max 60hz out anyway. More hz would probably be the wiser choice here.

Hey,

I'm in need of a new monitor with my new PC (7700k, gtx 1080).

I am not looking to spend a huge amount of money on it so it really comes down to choosing between a 60Hz monitor with Gsync or a 120ish Hz one without gsync...

Which would be better for an optimal gaming experience?

i just went to 144hz from 60hz and its night and day hz all the way

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

Definitely higher refresh rate IMO

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

You won't need a gsync panel for a 1080. It's gonna max 60hz out anyway. More hz would probably be the wiser choice here.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

6 minutes ago, Impulse // Sam said:

Hey,

I'm in need of a new monitor with my new PC (7700k, gtx 1080).

I am not looking to spend a huge amount of money on it so it really comes down to choosing between a 60Hz monitor with Gsync or a 120ish Hz one without gsync...

Which would be better for an optimal gaming experience?

144hz or throw away that graphics card.

The only G-Sync monitors with 60 Hz are 4k Monitors.

And a GTX 1080 will struggle hard here to maintain 60 fps, if you don't reduce settings.

So, which Monitors are we talking about??

On 4/29/2017 at 3:34 AM, Darkseth said:

The only G-Sync monitors with 60 Hz are 4k Monitors.

And a GTX 1080 will struggle hard here to maintain 60 fps, if you don't reduce settings.

So, which Monitors are we talking about??

Either a 1080 or 1440 monitor, I have no models in mind yet, just getting an idea of what I should be looking for.

Check out the Acer Predator XB241YU, or if it's much cheaper, the Dell S2417dg (Acer is better, has a better OSD, and better gamma control).

They are just slightly more expensive than the cheapest 1080p / G-Sync models, but they offer a more sharp 1440p Resolution :) And an 8-bit TN Panel, instead of 6-bit (1080p TN only has 6-bit + FRC, 1440p has 8-bit)

Edit: I know, it might be over your Budget limit.

But think about it that way: You payed 500-600+ bucks for a GTX 1080. But how long will it last? 2-3 years, maybe 4 years depending on how maxed out you need your settings.

A Monitor might last for 5-10 years. Longer life span, so why just get a cheap one? 1440p is really more enjoyable than 1080p (much more space there), the 144+ Hz, and g-Sync makes it awesome for gaming. No matter how much fps, it remains as smooth as possible.

And 2nd: You benefit from a better Monitor 100% of the time. Not just in gaming, but also during webbrowsing, office, etc. While you benefit from your GPU only during Gaming itself. ^^

if you have a high end gpu g sync is something you can easily live without. as v sync will just lock you to 60hz which youll easily surpass at 1080 or 1440p.

g sync disables as soon as you go higher than your refresh rate.. so again pointless at 60hz with a 1080 at 1080p.

g sync however is great if you have something like a 3440x1440p 100hz ultrawide and a 980ti like myself where you cant always saturate the 100hz refresh in all games so you dont get the benifit of v sync.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

i use a 144hz GSYNC monitor (ASUS SWIFT).

dont ever think about vsync its just bad.

if you are playing AAA games doesnt matter your GPU even if its a TITAN X you will have FPS dips below 60. and thats when GSYNC comes handy and makes life amazing (you will not see any lag if you are still above 30 fps. dont listen to ppl who never tried it and also sayign 1080 will max out everything over 60 ( FPS dips are always happening in big titles)

if you play high pace games like CS or some fps then yes 120 hz will make it look amazing

If you can have both you will never regret and you will remember me as the one who made your life better xD. if not get the GSYNC. you will be amazed