Geo Targeted Adds on the LTT fourm

I don't like getting depressed when Amazon.com adds show me all the amazing deals that I am missing becasue Canadian Rupees are so freaking low right now. I would love to see Amazon.ca adds instead. @advertisement people pls

2 minutes ago, MoistyMcMoistface said:

I don't like getting depressed when Amazon.com adds show me all the amazing deals that I am missing becasue Canadian Rupees are so freaking low right now. I would love to see Amazon.ca adds instead. @advertisement people pls

This isn't up to LTT. It's up to the ad servicer's algorithm.

5 minutes ago, mcfly said:

This isn't up to LTT. It's up to the ad servicer's algorithm.

I thought LTT was doing things old school and selling spots themselves since they lost there google ad sense way back? ikd lol 

I also imagine that the ads would have to have permission through the site to scan location something LTT would have to switch on.

2 minutes ago, MoistyMcMoistface said:

I thought LTT was doing things old school and selling spots themselves since they lost there google ad sense way back? ikd lol 

I also imagine that the ads would have to have permission through the site to scan location something LTT would have to switch on.

No the ads come through amazon. So you and I see different ads based on our browsing habits. 

I would think that LTT has some control as to what to is shown, so as not to show malware or malicious adverts. But as what is specifically shown is specific to each user.

1 minute ago, mcfly said:

No the ads come through amazon. So you and I see different ads based on our browsing habits. 

I would think that LTT has some control as to what to is shown, so as not to show malware or malicious adverts. But as what is specifically shown is specific to each user.

These are very generic amazon adds that Im looking at RN on the forum, evrey other website I have been shown an Amazon ad it is for the Canadian amazon, and it is WAY more specific showing me things I looked at previously are "lower price!" . I really think these are not very smart ads on LTT F, and are probably old school. Time for upgrade? 

15 minutes ago, mcfly said:

Ads are from Amazon, but they are generic, as said. I haven't seen any targeted ads here. I imagine that LMG chooses advertiser for certain time period, like 3 months and lets them place any ads during that period.

11 minutes ago, MoistyMcMoistface said:

These are very generic amazon adds that Im looking at RN on the forum, evrey other website I have been shown an Amazon ad it is for the Canadian amazon, and it is WAY more specific showing me things I looked at previously are "lower price!" . I really think these are not very smart ads on LTT F, and are probably old school. Time for upgrade? 

See the latter part of my reply above. There have been A-Data ads before these Amazon ones which had Newegg as store of choice. I doubt we are going to see any geo-located ads here. At least not anytime soon. Like with channel, about half of their sponsors are NA centered. Ting, iFixit, Intel's Gaming promos etc. @nicklmg and @CPotter might shed some more light on this.

Personally I block any requests for remembering location while browsing so I wouldn't even care.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

AFAIK we're not currently able to geotarget ads through the forum (though I could be wrong, I'm not the most technical person in the world), and I'm not even sure if we'd want to... We don't want to snag a bunch of personal info from our users here on the forum.

30 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

AFAIK we're not currently able to geotarget ads through the forum (though I could be wrong, I'm not the most technical person in the world), and I'm not even sure if we'd want to... We don't want to snag a bunch of personal info from our users here on the forum.

>snag a bunch of personal info

You guys have my password, which is IMO pretty personal

You also have my email, etc...

as long as you don't share it :P 

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

26 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Definitely... 100% agree with you there.

My main point is that we're not trying to maximize our profits here at the expense of overreaching for your personal information, if that make sense. The forum breaks even for us at best, and that's OK - we do well enough through our other revenue streams that even taking a loss here is worth it in order to provide a site for discussion around technology that has a relatively unintrusive monetization strategy and a (subjectively) clean UI/UX.

So while our ads might not always appeal directly to every single user on the forum, I think the trade-off is worth it.

2 hours ago, babadoctor said:

I doubt LMG saves your password in a readable form, their website is probably more secure than that.

I used to be quite active here.

1 hour ago, babadoctor said:

We don't have your password, we have a cryptographic representation of your password which can only be used to test that what you entered was correct, and not to retrieve the actual password. The password (combined with some data unique to your account (salt)) is passed through a one-way algorithm (hash), and the result of that is stored. When you next log in, we put what you typed through the same algorithm, and make sure that we get the same answer. That means that we don't have your password.

We do have your email, but that is used only for emailing you (and as a login identifier if you want).

HTTP/2 203

9 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

We don't have your password, we have a cryptographic representation of your password which can only be used to test that what you entered was correct, and not to retrieve the actual password. The password (combined with some data unique to your account (salt)) is passed through a one-way algorithm (hash), and the result of that is stored. When you next log in, we put what you typed through the same algorithm, and make sure that we get the same answer. That means that we don't have your password.

We do have your email, but that is used only for emailing you (and as a login identifier if you want).

Yes, I am aware of how modern day forum authentication works. I was simply making a statement that you had such information.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

2 hours ago, babadoctor said:

Yes, I am aware of how modern day forum authentication works. I was simply making a statement that you had such information.

All sites only have information you choose to give. Nobody forces you to use any meaningful email to register. Or nick you fear would cause harm. And any further personal details are required only when buying something (which is mandatory because of law)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv