How to find the gamut of display + recommendation

I'm trying to look for a laptop for photo editing and I know the display is important.

1. How do I look for the gamut for the display?

2. What kind of specs is recommended (e.g. sRGB 95% or above, matte, etc.)

Thank you.

*Is it possible to replace a glossy laptop display to a matte display myself?

IPS

i doubt companies advertise their laptops like that. Maybe more 'professional' oriented laptops, just make sure to check on the specs sheet., there will always be a mention of that if it's professional oriented I would hope

also no. You would need to replace the whole display and not just the coating

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

If you're looking to do photo editing professionally you'll want close to 100% Adobe RGB coverage, and that isn't exactly cheap.  The Dell XPS 15 4K is probably the best display I've seen on a laptop, or you could also just get an external monitor for sensitive photo work.

The companies generally do not mention the color gamut that the laptop supports.

In order to find that you'll need to look for a review of that particular laptop on YouTube, youtube reviewers usually cover that if the laptop is a high-end one.

Dell XPS 15 with 4K display has the best color gamut as of now.

AlexTheGreatish, Umang Goel

Thank you for sharing the knowledge and advice of Dell XPS 15. I just watched the review of Dell XPS 15 by LTT. Indeed it sounds great. I do question how bad is the speakers.

On 2017-4-26 at 7:54 AM, AlexTheGreatish said:

If you're looking to do photo editing professionally you'll want close to 100% Adobe RGB coverage, and that isn't exactly cheap.  The Dell XPS 15 4K is probably the best display I've seen on a laptop, or you could also just get an external monitor for sensitive photo work.

100 Adobe RGB coverage was recommended, is it assuming I use Adobe products?

On 2017-4-27 at 3:02 AM, Umang Goel said:

The companies generally do not mention the color gamut that the laptop supports.

In order to find that you'll need to look for a review of that particular laptop on YouTube, youtube reviewers usually cover that if the laptop is a high-end one.

Dell XPS 15 with 4K display has the best color gamut as of now.

"4K display has the best gamut as of now", can I assume that to product 4K display, the gamut need to be much higher that a non-4K display?

Thank you once again.

I meant that the Dell XPS 15 with 4K display has the best color gamut as I was not sure about the non-4K variants.

Also there is no such rule that a 4K display will always have a better color gamut than non-4K displays.

I do question how bad is the speakers.

The speakers are really, really awful, my phone sounds better.  But besides that and the webcam it is really fantastic, probably my favourite laptop I've reviewed yet. I tried to sneakily turn it into my everyday work laptop after the review since it was so good, unfortunately it did have to go back to Dell or I'd still be using it.

On 4/29/2017 at 2:38 PM, revzephyr said:

100 Adobe RGB coverage was recommended, is it assuming I use Adobe products?

Are you assuming AdobeRGB requires the use of an Adobe product?  AdobeRGB is a color space developed by Adobe, it's a color space that's wider than sRGB.   Just because Adobe developed it doesn't mean you need an Adobe product to use it.

On 4/25/2017 at 0:14 PM, revzephyr said:

How do I look for the gamut for the display?

Get a display calibration tool like the XRite i1Display, measure and create a profile of your display, and then compare the created ICC profile versus standard color spaces such as sRGB and AdobeRGB.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 4/25/2017 at 0:14 PM, revzephyr said:

What kind of specs is recommended (e.g. sRGB 95% or above, matte, etc.)

Are you an amateur or pro photographer?  Do you print your own photos?  If you're either of the following:

• Amateur and don't print: then I don't care and any computer you feel comfortable buying is what you need.
  • Amateur and does own prints: get a good quality IPS display, a color calibration tool and have fun.
  • Pro and don't print: get a good quality IPS display, a color calibration tool and go have fun.
  • Pro and does own prints: then a 10-bit wide gamut panel (like an Eizo ColorEdge) with all the necessary hardware and software for a 10-bit workflow (i.e. workstation GPU, OS and software that supports 10-bit color, and a true 10-bit monitor) is important.  And don't forget to get a color calibration kit that profiles not only the display but also the printer.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins