RMA 1080ti that I damaged?

Remixt

So after 15+ years of building PC's and mods I finally 'broke' my first brand new GPU. It was bound to happen at some point, but I was hoping it would be on a less expensive part.

Anyhow, I tried to install a hybrid cooler on my 1080ti and I guess the GPU got damaged somehow during installation because it doesn't work anymore, even with the stock cooler back on. I sent it to Newegg RMA like I would any other part, but this time I'm not sure if I'll get a replacement. EVGA doesn't void the warranty for removing the stock cooler right? I saw a black sticker over the backplate that I had to remove to get the backplate off, but it just said EVGA on it. The warranty void if removed sticker is still intact, although it does have a tiny cut in it now near the top where it partially covered a screw.

So will this RMA fine? Or will it fall under the misshandling category?

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

1 minute ago, Remixt said:

So after 15+ years of building PC's and mods I finally broke my first brand new GPU. It was bound to happen at some point, but I was hoping it would be on a less expensive part.

Anyhow, I tried to install a hybrid cooler on my 1080ti and I guess the GPU got damaged somehow during installation because it doesn't work anymore, even with the stock cooler back on. I sent it to Newegg RMA like I would any other part, but this time I'm not sure if I'll get a replacement. EVGA doesn't void the warranty for removing the stock cooler right? I saw a black sticker over the backplate that I had to remove to get the backplate off, but it just said EVGA on it. The warranty void if removed sticker is still intact, although it does have a tiny cut in it now near the top where it partially covered a screw.

As long as you tell them you just got the GPU, put it in your PC, and it didn't work, they should send you a replacement. I did that and even had the warranty void sticker taken off before.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

seems like a case specific thing. Youll have to wait and see. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

As long as you tell them you just got the GPU, put it in your PC, and it didn't work, they should send you a replacement. I did that and even had the warranty void sticker taken off before.

That sounds an awful lot like fraud...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Yeah I've had it for less than a week.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Agreed.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

I opted to not tell them anything other than the fact that it doesn't work. Which is true. I wouldn't lie about how it happened though considering that might be illegal.

That's because it is.....

7 minutes ago, Remixt said:

So after 15+ years of building PC's and mods I finally broke my first brand new GPU. It was bound to happen at some point, but I was hoping it would be on a less expensive part.

EVGA doesn't void the warranty for putting a waterblock on, but they also won't cover any physical damage that happens due to your negligence.  If they figure out that you caused the damage, they aren't going to cover it.  They probably won't even look, but....what you're talking about is shady af.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

3 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

That's because it is.....

EVGA doesn't void the warranty for putting a waterblock on, but they also won't cover any physical damage that happens due to your negligence.  If they figure out that you caused the damage, they aren't going to cover it.  They probably won't even look, but....what you're talking about is shady af.

Well I called EVGA and told them what happened and they said to try and RMA through newegg first because it won't take as long. I'm just not sure if installing a waterblock is considered negligence to newegg.

6 minutes ago, Remixt said:

I opted to not tell them anything other than the fact that it doesn't work. Which is true. I wouldn't lie about how it happened though considering that might be illegal.

A lie by omission is still a lie

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

4 minutes ago, Remixt said:

Well I called EVGA and told them what happened and they said to try and RMA through newegg first because it won't take as long. I'm just not sure if installing a waterblock is considered negligence to newegg.

It IS negligence if you damaged the card in the process.....rofl

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

3 minutes ago, Remixt said:

IMPROPERLY mounting a water block is negligence. if you did it right and didn't make any mistakes, then you're good to go. I have a feeling though that you did mess something up and just don't know it.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

lol so many people sitting on the fence I love it. We have no idea how the damage actually happened. It seems odd that GPU would just stop working by swapping the cooler over. So if you didn't short a contact, drop it or crush the GPU die fitting the cooler then I suspect the card may have been dodgy in the first place. It's actually quite hard to break computer parts, Jay2c did a video where he was applying static, bending the cards etc.

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

It IS negligence if you damaged the card in the process.....rofl

As much as it sucks, this is true.  If you disassemble anything and break it along the way, why should the manufacturer flip the bill for it.  Imagine how much shit they'd be replacing for free just because it was damaged in the the hands of those modifying them. 

It's a risk we all take when we slap blocks on our cards, but the risk and liability is ours.

With that said, hopefully OP gets his RMA'd.  It'll just increase the cost of my next card by a very tiny amount.  :D

I once RMA a mainboard which I mounted into my case without the screws between it and the case. Worked :ph34r:

so yeah it is worth a try.

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

As much as it sucks, this is true.  If you disassemble anything and break it along the way, why should the manufacturer flip the bill for it.  Imagine how much shit they'd be replacing for free just because it was damaged in the the hands of those modifying them. 

It's a risk we all take when we slap blocks on our cards, but the risk and liability is ours.

With that said, hopefully OP gets his RMA'd.  It'll just increase the cost of my next card by a very tiny amount.  :D

Well, If it doesn't work out I'll just use my renters insurance but that's a 50$ deductible I'd rather not have to pay. I mean, negligence isn't really defined that way to be honest. I did everything according to the instructions and was very careful. I'm pretty sure the chip got damaged by the thermal paste when I turned the machine on, but there's not a way to be 100% sure. 

13 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

lol so many people sitting on the fence I love it. We have no idea how the damage actually happened. It seems odd that GPU would just stop working by swapping the cooler over. So if you didn't short a contact, drop it or crush the GPU die fitting the cooler then I suspect the card may have been dodgy in the first place. It's actually quite hard to break computer parts, Jay2c did a video where he was applying static, bending the cards etc.

Yeah, I mean I've been doing this for a very long time and it's my first dead GPU. 

Well, If it doesn't work out I'll just use my renters insurance but that's a 50$ deductible I'd rather not have to pay. I mean, negligence isn't really defined that way to be honest. I did everything according to the instructions and was very careful. I'm pretty sure the chip got damaged by the thermal paste when I turned the machine on, but there's not a way to be 100% sure. 

Did you use CLU or something?

System specs:

Did you use CLU or something?

I used the thermal paste that was pre-installed on the EVGA hybrid block, and when the GPU didn't turn on I used this https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Performance-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0009PTBZ6 to reassymble the stock cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Performance-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0009PTBZ6

I used this stuff because it's what I had at the time. 

well that stuff is a dielectric so i can't imagine that DAMAGING the die. or anything. hell you could cover the entire board in that stuff and not cause damage.

...not that i recommend doing so.

System specs:

Just now, knightslugger said:

well that stuff is a dielectric so i can't imagine that DAMAGING the die. or anything. hell you could cover the entire board in that stuff and not cause damage.

...not that i recommend doing so.

Yeah, me either. I don't really know what else could have happened though. 

How in the hell do you break a GPU by putting a hybrid kit on???? ???

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

46 minutes ago, Remixt said:

I guess the GPU got damaged somehow during installation because it doesn't work anymore, even with the stock cooler back on. 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Did you try the gpu stock to check it wasn't DOA?

6 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Did you try the gpu stock to check it wasn't DOA?

EDIT: And if I was trying to slip a questionable RMA through I definitely wouldn't post about it :D (maybe after)

If they ask me questions I'm not going to lie. Also, I don't have my newegg account affiliated with LTT at all.