Anyone been scammed before?

WhatComesAround

Hey people :D

So if you guys were wondering it took quite a lot of nerves to use a smiley, I am not happy but I love the LTT community so I used a smiley. Anyways I have posted this topic in off topic because I was not sure where this is supposed to go. Ok, so I was scammed. I didn't realize it was a scam because it didn't seem like the normal ones I have encountered before and have sniffed out. So for starters the guy called me, not just a bunch of texts, he used his real phone number, I knew this because the location under the number was legit as I am in the same country and that number wasn't a Whatsapp number which some scammers use and have a fake location and number. So I have that, now I also have his bank account number. I am also asking the medium (website) of exchange for maybe an ip address and or mac address if that is even possible (I am afraid they are not allowed to disclose information about users or something). I am planning on filing a police report tomorrow, and hope to get the guy. And btw the guy had a picture of the CPU (i7 2600K) which I was trying to buy and I ran it against google images and there were no matches suggesting he took the photo himself or found it somewhere I don't know where. :/

Anyone have experience with getting scammed and/or filing a police report? Will this information be useful (Phone no (fingers crossed it wasn't stolen), Bank account)?

If the person that scammed you was using his own phone and bank account then he's obviously a rookie.

Although, chances are that neither the phone number nor the bank account belongs to the person you talked to.

It's pretty common for scammers to use puppet SIM cards (or a pre-paid SIM cards) and puppet bank accounts. 

But I guess that's for the police to figure out. 

I have been scammed once and been tried scammed once.

The time I was scammed it was in matters you don't want the police in, so I never went to the police. I just swollowed my loss.

The time someone tried to scam me, I obviously didn't go to the police since no one was cheated out of anything. 

Someone tried to pull a White Van scam on me.

But I smelled a rat and just had a bit of fun with it. I apperantly took too long to scam so the scammer just took off in the middle of our conversation. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

8 minutes ago, Volbet said:

If the person that scammed you was using his own phone and bank account then he's obviously a rookie at.

Although, chances are that neither the phone number nor the bank account belongs to the person you talked to.

It's pretty common for scammers to use puppet SIM cards (or a pre-paid SIM) and puppet bank accounts. 

But I guess that's for the police to figure out. 

I have been scammed once and been tried scammed once.

The time I was scammed it was in matters you don't want the police in, so I never went to the police. I just swollowed my loss.

The time someone tried to scam me, I obviously didn't go to the police since no one was cheated out of anything. 

But someone tried to pull a White Van scam on me.

But I smelled a rat and just had a bit of fun with it. I apperantly took too long to scam so the scammer just took off in the middle of our conversation. 

Yea, but I believe that in the country I am living in right now you cannot get a sim card of any type without any of your personal information. With a long term sim you definitely have to bring a passport with you, but with a pre paid sim I think it's a little less formal, they do ask for personal information nonetheless I believe. I have a question tho, what did you get scammed of that wasn't a matter you didn't want to report to the police? (Don't worry I won't tell XD, can't be that bad, can it?) And as for your attempted scam, I had the same thing happen twice and I too, talked to the scammers for at least an hour or two until the person figured I was trolling them. I was so happy to think that hey, I just scammed a scammer (actually two) of their time, ironic XD.

26 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

Hey people :D

So if you guys were wondering it took quite a lot of nerves to use a smiley, I am not happy but I love the LTT community so I used a smiley. Anyways I have posted this topic in off topic because I was not sure where this is supposed to go. Ok, so I was scammed. I didn't realize it was a scam because it didn't seem like the normal ones I have encountered before and have sniffed out. So for starters the guy called me, not just a bunch of texts, he used his real phone number, I knew this because the location under the number was legit as I am in the same country and that number wasn't a Whatsapp number which some scammers use and have a fake location and number. So I have that, now I also have his bank account number. I am also asking the medium (website) of exchange for maybe an ip address and or mac address if that is even possible (I am afraid they are not allowed to disclose information about users or something). I am planning on filing a police report tomorrow, and hope to get the guy. And btw the guy had a picture of the CPU (i7 2600K) which I was trying to buy and I ran it against google images and there were no matches suggesting he took the photo himself or found it somewhere I don't know where. :/

Anyone have experience with getting scammed and/or filing a police report? Will this information be useful (Phone no (fingers crossed it wasn't stolen), Bank account)?

Well, it probably wasn't too much since it was an i7 2600k, how did he scam you, CPU didn't work or something like that? Just contact the fraud department of your local police or other law/fraud investigation unit, they'll handle it (at least they should) 

Yours faithfully

14 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

I have a question tho, what did you get scammed of that wasn't a matter you didn't want to report to the police? (Don't worry I won't tell XD, can't be that bad, can it?)

Yeah, what hell do I have to loss.

I was buying what I thought was China White Heroin but it turned out to be Cocaine and lactose powder. 

Basically, I was an idiot and didn't test the merchandise before buying, Lucikly, I did before I used it or else it would properlu have ended up horribly. 

You don't really want the police involved in a case like that, since both parties were doing something illegal.

2 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well, it probably wasn't too much since it was an i7 2600k, how did he scam you, CPU didn't work or something like that? Just contact the fraud department of your local police or other law/fraud investigation unit, they'll handle it (at least they should) 

Yea it wasn't much but I am a student in a foreign country, so I can't legally work. Those $50 were half of all I collected for a few months, thankfully I will be going to

Germany in a year and a half where I will be able to work.

2 hours ago, Volbet said:

Yeah, what hell do I have to loss.

I was buying what I thought was China White Heroin but it turned out to be Cocaine and lactose powder. 

Basically, I was an idiot and didn't test the merchandise before buying, Lucikly, I did before I used it or else it would properlu have ended up horribly. 

You don't really want the police involved in a case like that, since both parties were doing something illegal.

Can't tell if you are joking or not, if you are not, good thing you didn't involve the popo. And be careful mate, don't want you getting hurt doing drugs :D, and don't do drugs if that was a joke. :D 

1 minute ago, WhatComesAround said:

Can't tell if you are joking or not, if you are not, good thing you didn't involve the popo. And be careful mate, don't want you getting hurt doing drugs :D, and don't do drugs if that was a joke. :D 

I can assure you that I wasn't joking. I pretty much spend 7 years of my life strung out on Heroin. 

But I can also assure you that I won't get hurt doing any drugs. I have been clean for almost 6 years now and I don't plan on that to change. 

Just now, Volbet said:

I can assure you that I wasn't joking. I pretty much spend 7 years of my life strung out on Heroin. 

But I can also assure you that I won't get hurt doing any drugs. I have been clean for almost 6 years now and I don't plan on that to change. 

Good for you :D Don't let life pass you by, I don't sell/take drugs but I heard you lose track of time, people, and in general your life.