Ultraviolet or iTunes Digital Copy for server stored movie?

Go to solution Solved by PlayStation 2,

If you own a DVD, I would just go through the trouble of ripping it.

Can't exactly explain how as it's very grey area type shit, but it's easy enough.

I know this probably isn't a good place for this post, but I don't know where else to put it.

I just bought a movie, and it has a slip of paper inside that says it can be redeemed either on Ultraviolet or iTunes, but not both. I just want a common video format that can be played on VLC or similar, lossless preferred (I have enough HDD space). Should I use Ultraviolet or iTunes for this? If neither will work for what I'm asking, are there any differences between the two I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not entirely sure we can discuss how to remove DRM from your legally purchased digital purchase on this forum so unless a mod weighs in my only answer is 'Google It'.  That said, since I've seen lots of DRM removed iTunes rips online, I would assume that something exists to extract the DRM from an iTunes purchase.  If the method is accessible, you can surely Google up a guide to do so.

So there is no way to play an iTunes video file without iTunes or an apple device?

Both Ultraviolet and iTunes are going to have DRM of some kind? That figures.

1 minute ago, WhiteFlame0 said:

So there is no way to play an iTunes video file without iTunes or an apple device?

You could of course... Get the file from somewhere else

You own the movie on dvd, so you own the movie as a digital version too

My native language is C++

11 minutes ago, WhiteFlame0 said:

I know this probably isn't a good place for this post, but I don't know where else to put it.

I just bought a movie, and it has a slip of paper inside that says it can be redeemed either on Ultraviolet or iTunes, but not both. I just want a common video format that can be played on VLC or similar, lossless preferred (I have enough HDD space). Should I use Ultraviolet or iTunes for this? If neither will work for what I'm asking, are there any differences between the two I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

You could always just rip a copy of the physical disc you already own. That's what I do with all my Blu Rays.

I never actually watch them on the physical media itself, the file just goes straight to my NAS and I stream it on anything I want xD

Yeah, I own the DVD, the Blu-Ray, and this piece of paper with a useless code on it. I guess I'm just going to buy a Blu-Ray player for my PC so I won't have to use my PS3 anymore.

Thanks for all your help!

Just now, WhiteFlame0 said:

Yeah, I own the DVD, the Blu-Ray, and this piece of paper with a useless code on it. I guess I'm just going to buy a Blu-Ray player for my PC so I won't have to use my PS3 anymore.

Thanks for all your help!

Just be aware that you will need to purchase software that actually plays blu rays.

They're a bit different from DVDs as playback isn't natively supported in Windows.

What I've always done is rip the file(s) and then encode them to mp4s with Handbrake as that's a near universally supported file for playback devices.

MP4s would have no menu and just skip to the movie itself, right?

I don't know, I think I'll figure it out. I've heard of Handbrake but thanks for the heads-up about no native support.

16 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If you own a DVD, I would just go through the trouble of ripping it.

Can't exactly explain how as it's very grey area type shit, but it's easy enough.

I believe so long as you keep your DVD you can make a copy for back up, if you sell or throw away the DVD you're meant to remove your copy too. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

I believe so long as you keep your DVD you can make a copy for back up, if you sell or throw away the DVD you're meant to remove your copy too. 

That's such a needlessly complicated issue in the United States, which is where I'll assume OP lives.

It is legal to back up a DVD and digitally copy it for personal use, but there's just a big legality issue with breaking CSS, which that's on many DVDs. I believe they thought encryption through a little better when it came to Blu-Rays because I think it's actually illegal to break whatever those (can) use.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Well, my monitor does not support HDCP, so the 1080p iTunes download can only be played at 640x360. I guess I'll be using the DVD until I buy a new blu-ray player or hook up my PS3 again.

38 minutes ago, WhiteFlame0 said:

Well, my monitor does not support HDCP, so the 1080p iTunes download can only be played at 640x360. I guess I'll be using the DVD until I buy a new blu-ray player or hook up my PS3 again.

If you own an Apple TV, you can use iTunes for digital movies - though you won't really be able to store them on a NAS in any reasonable way. There are ways to store the Library on a network drive, but it's a bit annoying to do.

If you don't own an Apple TV, UltraViolet works on most Net-Top Boxes, like Roku for example.

Personally, I rip all my DVD's and Blu-Rays to my NAS, which runs Plex Media Server. I can then use any computer or a Roku or a Chromecast, etc, to watch those videos over the Local network.

If your monitor doesn't support HDCP, a lot of things are just not going to work very well. Is your Monitor analog only, or just very very old?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)