Using DD-WRT Firmware as an Internet Access Point for Computers with No Wi-Fi

Appleboy45

Currently, I am using my MacBook and an Ethernet cable to get the computer in my bedroom on the internet. I was considering getting me a wireless adapter for my computer so I don't have to run my MacBook just to get internet for the desktop in my room. However, just when I was about to buy a USB adapter, someone recommended to me that I get a router running DD-WRT instead. I have never used DD-WRT before, so I do plan to do more research on it. From what I think he said, I can connect the router wirelessly to my main internet router in another room, and then connecting my desktop computer to the DD-WRT router so I can get online. Did I understand the person that told me this correctly and that I can actually do this. And if that answer is yes, I might either find an older router from a friend that supports DD-WRT, or buy a cheap used router with DD-WRT already installed. Is there any other info I may need?

It is called Wireless bridging, and it does work.  It doesn't necessarily have to be an older router.  There are newer routers that can have DD-WRT flashed as the firmware...and others that even come with DD-WRT installed as the firmware.  The DD-WRT forums and Wiki's have tons of information and instructables to get this working pretty easily.  The basics are that you set the DD-WRT router as a "Client Bridge".  It is then a wireless bridge, to which you may even be able to adjust the VLAN and set ALL ports (including the WAN port) as active switch ports, allowing you to connect up to 5 devices for most routers.

There are some small WAPs (Wireless Access Point) and wireless routers that don't use DD-WRT, but do have the ability to do wireless bridging.  It all depends on the firmware and interface used.

1 hour ago, Appleboy45 said:

Currently, I am using my MacBook and an Ethernet cable to get the computer in my bedroom on the internet. I was considering getting me a wireless adapter for my computer so I don't have to run my MacBook just to get internet for the desktop in my room. However, just when I was about to buy a USB adapter, someone recommended to me that I get a router running DD-WRT instead. I have never used DD-WRT before, so I do plan to do more research on it. From what I think he said, I can connect the router wirelessly to my main internet router in another room, and then connecting my desktop computer to the DD-WRT router so I can get online. Did I understand the person that told me this correctly and that I can actually do this. And if that answer is yes, I might either find an older router from a friend that supports DD-WRT, or buy a cheap used router with DD-WRT already installed. Is there any other info I may need?

If you do decided to use DDWRT make sure you read the peakcock thread before installing it. It states this many many times in the wiki. Make sure your resetting and flashing stuff properly. I have used DDWRT router for wireless bridging in the past. It works. But understand DDWRT is pretty advanced, so make sure your willing to put some time in. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Mac book that has no wifi?

You have it backwards.  He's using the Macbook with wifi to access the internet over wifi and then share it over ethernet with a wired only computer.

10 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Ahh

If he got a spare phone it can be used as a wifi adapter just by enabling usb tethering. If he wants pseudo-hardware level filter list, a rooted phone can use MoaAB and/or Adaway. Else, Hostsman or uBlock Origin will do. 

He hasn't stated that he is using or has a cell phone, to allow tethering.  He'd have to purchase an adapter, to hardwire his desktop to the phone.  Again, he's using the Macbook to connect wirelessly to his AP, and then hardwire's his desktop to the Macbook.

@Appleboy45 - As I've mentioned earlier, the bridging will work, and it is not very difficult.  However, is there a reason why a wireless adapter cannot be used?  There are plenty of inexpensive adapters that plug in via USB or PCI/PCI-E.  Is the location of the desktop weak, and you're using a cable for extension?  Or are there more than the 1 device that you are trying to hardwire?

42 minutes ago, Doramius said:

As I've mentioned earlier, the bridging will work, and it is not very difficult.  However, is there a reason why a wireless adapter cannot be used?  There are plenty of inexpensive adapters that plug in via USB or PCI/PCI-E.

This would be my question.  For the most part, it makes more sense to grab a wifi adapter unless you already have an unused router that you could re purpose.  As an example, I still have a WRT54GL v2 in a drawer that I can't bring myself to dispose of, though it's Wireless G connection would be pretty lackluster.

I can imagine a minority of situations where a bridge of some sort may be the only option, namely in connecting older game consoles or other devices that feature ethernet but no wifi expansion.  Dreamcast, GameCube, Classic Xbox, PS2 are all examples of game consoles with built in or optional Ethernet adapters but wife would not be possible.  Maybe a smart TV with Ethernet only?  Old retro PC with Ethernet only? (Depending on the OS, wifi may not even be possible on some retro PC builds)  So some scenarios can be imagined but outside of them, I'd vote for a USB wifi adaptor.

Sorry for the long response. From what I hear from some people, using a router in bridge mode is more reliable than using a USB adapter or an internal wireless card. And while I haven't used enough of them to justify a good, strong opinion on the reliability of USB and internal adapters, I have had problems with them in the past. Also, looking on eBay, I can get some decent routers with DD-WRT for about the same or even less than a Wi-Fi Adapter.

2 hours ago, Appleboy45 said:

Sorry for the long response. From what I hear from some people, using a router in bridge mode is more reliable than using a USB adapter or an internal wireless card. And while I haven't used enough of them to justify a good, strong opinion on the reliability of USB and internal adapters, I have had problems with them in the past. Also, looking on eBay, I can get some decent routers with DD-WRT for about the same or even less than a Wi-Fi Adapter.

Keep in mind you need to match your current routers spec to the one your going to buy. So if you have an AC1900 router, make sure the DDWRT one is also AC1900 so you get the best results. Besides that make sure you check the DDWRT Wiki for more info. They have tones of info there. 

@Appleboy45 People often say it is more reliable because the antennas on a router are powered with higher gain.  It isn't always like this, but it is very common.  Many USB adapters have very tiny antennas and are often blocked by a lot, whether by other wireless signals or enough metal or material to block a signal.  Cards with external antennas generally are low powered, but tend to be stronger than USB dongles.  Some will let you connect a powered external antenna, and I've found these to be as reliable as a bridged router.  However, you tend to pay a bit for the full setup, so going the route of the bridged router can be cheaper.  There's a bit more to tinker with on the router.  It's not difficult, but just a few extra steps to get it connected, so the USB or PCI card would just be a tad easier.  

@Donut417 Matching is not required.  About the biggest issue I've had is in the G and N bands, it is constantly handshaking so any other wireless devices tend to get a throttled connection compared to devices on the bridge.  To get around this, if the primary router is dual band, I've set the 2.4GHz band to only be N, and connected my bridged router to this, and the 5GHz as mixed AC & N, with a different name.  It's pretty rock solid.

52 minutes ago, Doramius said:

@Appleboy45 People often say it is more reliable because the antennas on a router are powered with higher gain.  It isn't always like this, but it is very common.  Many USB adapters have very tiny antennas and are often blocked by a lot, whether by other wireless signals or enough metal or material to block a signal.  Cards with external antennas generally are low powered, but tend to be stronger than USB dongles.  Some will let you connect a powered external antenna, and I've found these to be as reliable as a bridged router.  However, you tend to pay a bit for the full setup, so going the route of the bridged router can be cheaper.  There's a bit more to tinker with on the router.  It's not difficult, but just a few extra steps to get it connected, so the USB or PCI card would just be a tad easier.  

@Donut417 Matching is not required.  About the biggest issue I've had is in the G and N bands, it is constantly handshaking so any other wireless devices tend to get a throttled connection compared to devices on the bridge.  To get around this, if the primary router is dual band, I've set the 2.4GHz band to only be N, and connected my bridged router to this, and the 5GHz as mixed AC & N, with a different name.  It's pretty rock solid.

I never said "required" I said for best practices. This way you can get the fastest link between router and router. Potentially having a better experience. Considering the fact that new routers tend to have better range due to the new standard. Of course the OP can use an old shitty Wireless G router, I just dont think thats the solution he was looking for. At minimum he should go dual band wireless N. 

Oh and @Appleboy45 check out DDWRT's website, they should have a nice list of routers that are compatible.