At least one game on PS4 supports Mouse + Keyboard: Warthunder

Article at Kotaku.

So far, the free-to-play WWII action simulator made by Gaijin Entertainment is the only PS4 game I've heard about that supports the use of a mouse and keyboard. And flight sticks. But that support isn't of the plug-and-play variety. Gaijin president Anton Yudintsev told me that letting players use non-Dual Shock 4 input devices takes some effort from developers to do." Mouse and keyboard play was possible on PS3 but it required special devices or converters to happen.

The PS4 version of War Thunder does some other intriguing things, too. It's cross-platform, which means that PS4 players will be playing on the same servers as PC gamers. And it uses the PlayStation Eye camera for head-tracking, letting you change the viewpoint in the game simply by turning you face in a different direction. I didn't get to see either the head-tracking or the 

I find this pretty epic tbh. The whole "camera tracks your head to control the viewpoint in the cockpit" thing is epic too. Things I would actually use. Obviously the sensitivity would have to be high enough that you slightly moving your head would move the viewpoint enough that you wouldn't be looking away from the screen to see behind you (which would defeat the purpose) and low enough that you wouldn't be bobbing all around just because your head slightly moves. 

Hopefully more games make this possible.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I tried War Thunder with a controller. Got crushed...

Probably had something to do with the fact that I was flying Germany first before Tier 6.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

This is actually really cool. I don't think a game like War Thunder would do very well with a controller compared to mouse/keyboard. Good move for allowing mouse/keyboard, Sony.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

That's awesome! War Thunder seems hard to play with a controller anyways. My friend tried it, and he said it was too hard and just used his keyboard and mouse.

COMIC SANS

War Thunder is awesome. That is all.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Hey do I get my name for status updating this? :P

This is really cool though, since I would love to be able to look around to *try* and change my camera angle. What I find most intriguing though, is how this game is cross platform. Since I don't play the game, how dependent are the movements with the mouse?

This. He said it first. I just had the time and patience to post it as a thread.

You forgot Dust 514 which is already available on PS3 and will be available on PS4

Really? Awesome. Didn't even know that. 

I really hope these types of games push more games to have this support in general. 

They said in the article that it puts more work on the developer. Why? What do they have to do? I mean seriously, how hard is it to program in an extra set of controls?

I mean, if they try to balance it by putting same control type people vs each other (i.e. players who use controllers vs players who use controllers and same with m+kb), then I can understand it being more work, but still. 

Also, Warthunder will be multiplatform. To where PC and PS4 people can play against each other. That could be a major reason for this. So that it is fair. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I tried War Thunder with a controller. Got crushed...

Yeah. I tried it with a controller too. I was flying with a USA plane... Didn't get at least one kill. Not to say that after binding all the controls, one of my buttons stopped working when I pressed it...Weird....

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

FPS games need to support KB&M even on consoles... I just can't play jack sh*t with controllers

The whole "camera tracks your head to control the viewpoint in the cockpit" thing is epic too. Things I would actually use.

I wish more games utilized this! I've been using trackIR on flight sims/War Thunder and Arma. It's really nice to see things like implemented on PS4 (especially since you won't need to pay the extra +$100).

I hope KB+M gets supported on more next gen games the same way I hope controllers get supported on PC games.

Some third person games are better suited for controllers IMO, but shooters can definitely benefit from mouse controls.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

The thing with camera-based head tracking (such as FaceTrackNoIR) is the lag/lack of precision. I am currently lusting HEAVILY after TrackIR 5 after using FaceTrack in Arma 2 for the pat couple of months. I LOVE headtracking, but after watching dslyexci's videos on YouTube I NEED TrackIR.

Maybe the PS4 camera will be better, but I'm using a 1080p webcam at 30+ fps and it still lags :(

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB)