AMD Ryzen 5 1600X or Intel Core i5-6600k Skylake

Hey,

I'm on my way to building my first ever pc and I have already gathered the case, power supply, SSD storage and motherboard. The motherboard is the Asus B150 PRO GAMING/AURA. Until recently I wanted an i5-6600k CPU for my build, but after hearing about AMD's Ryzen 5 lineup I started to reconsider. I have always had an Intel CPU, so I would like to know more about the advantages and disadvantages of going for a Ryzen 5 CPU rather than the i5-6600k. I am not specifically talking about just performance numbers, but mainly other features, like does it come with a stock cooler, is there good overclocking software included, etc.Also I'd like to know what kind(s) of RAM the CPU will most likely support, since I think the motherboard only supports DDR4 RAM (don't quote me on that, I'm still a newby at this). What do you think would be the max overclock frequency of the 1600X?

Also would this CPU be a good match with a GTX 1060 or would it bottleneck it?

Thanks!

Edit: By the way the motherboard has an 1151 socket, which pobably means it doesn't fit, right?

Edited by SweetVRgamer

wait for benchmarks maybe

and it wont, from both cpus and both gpu (3gb/6gb)

and yes, they only support ddr4, unless you get and specified ddr3 mobo

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

*Cue crystal ball.

We're all as clueless as you. Just wait until it comes out and make a decision then... you don't have to decide now.

FYI Ryzen supports DDR4.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I still strongly think if you were going with a K i5, it would still be much more better than ryzen since ryzen's forte isn't at good single core performance.

We don't know for sure since ryzen r5 isn't out, but most likely it will come down to games you play/what you plan on doing. My 7700k at 5.2 GHz struggles with games like Wildlands while streaming or doing anything in the background. It's a real CPU killer. If youre playing games like CSGO then you'd be better off with the intel chip.

3 minutes ago, suits said:

We don't know for sure since ryzen is out, but most likely it will come down to games you play/what you plan on doing. My 7700k at 5.2 GHz struggles with games like Wildlands while streaming or doing anything in the background. It's a real CPU killer. If youre playing games like CSGO then you'd be better off with the intel chip.

How about Overwatch?

1 minute ago, SweetVRgamer said:

How about Overwatch?

Overwatch does pretty well with the Ryzen R7 lineup. I'd probably go 1600x because the extra cores/threads really sets you up for future games as well as current games as nvidia made a big deal about utilizing all CPU cores when they released the 1080ti. Just what I would do, both chips would do great for overwatch (assuming the 1600x isn't a huge bust)

both CPU's would work fine with a 1060.

I still expect the 7600k to walk all over ryzen 5 (especially when OC'd to 5 GHz - which they all basically do). 

I think the sweet spot for ryzen will be the ultra budget 4/8 1500 (then OC to 4 GHz). It will be hard to beat the price to performance of that chip. 

3 minutes ago, suits said:

Overwatch does pretty well with the Ryzen R7 lineup. I'd probably go 1600x because the extra cores/threads really sets you up for future games as well as current games as nvidia made a big deal about utilizing all CPU cores when they released the 1080ti. Just what I would do, both chips would do great for overwatch (assuming the 1600x isn't a huge bust)

Thanks!

Do you also happen to know about possible other advantages Ryzen would bring in general?

Just now, SweetVRgamer said:

Thanks!

Do you also happen to know about possible other advantages Ryzen would bring in general?

If you want to stream it's the chip to go with, if you want to play future open world games it should perform better. Really more cores and better utilization is going to be the future. You'll be able to do any kind of video stuff faster, whether it's rendering or just converting files faster. 1600x might be cooler too, Kaby Lake is a fire breathing dragon unless you delid them. 

31 minutes ago, SweetVRgamer said:

but mainly other features, like does it come with a stock cooler, is there good overclocking software included, etc.Also I'd like to know what kind(s) of RAM the CPU will most likely support, since I think the motherboard only supports DDR4 RAM (don't quote me on that, I'm still a newby at this).

I think the Ryzen 7's all ship with stock coolers, so it would be a pretty weird surprise if Ryzen 5 didn't as well.

Overclocking software comes with the motherboard, not the CPU. I'm unsure about ones are good. Honestly, if you're going to go to the effort of overclocking and all that comes along with that, you really should be doing it manually to get the best result you can. If you aren't sure how, just read about it, ask questions, and wait until you're ready.

All Ryzen CPUs will likely support the same memory, since these chips are all just derivatives of higher SKUs. There's little reason to support anything but DDR4 anymore.

5 minutes ago, suits said:

If you want to stream it's the chip to go with, if you want to play future open world games it should perform better. Really more cores and better utilization is going to be the future. You'll be able to do any kind of video stuff faster, whether it's rendering or just converting files faster. 1600x might be cooler too, Kaby Lake is a fire breathing dragon unless you delid them. 

I think I'll wait for the results of the Ryzen 5 1600X then. Seems to be what I'm looking for.

6 minutes ago, typographie said:

I think the Ryzen 7's all ship with stock coolers, so it would be a pretty weird surprise if Ryzen 5 didn't as well.

Overclocking software comes with the motherboard, not the CPU. I'm unsure about what ones are good. Honestly, if you're going to go to the effort of overclocking and all that comes along with that, you really should be doing it manually to get the best result you can. If you aren't sure how, just read about it, ask questions, and wait until you're ready.

All Ryzen CPUs will likely support the same memory, since these chips are all just derivatives of higher SKUs. There's little reason to support anything but DDR4 anymore.

I actually out the 1600X, which is the one I would go for, does not come with a cooler. http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-ryzen-5-cpus-2017mar15.aspx

Thanks for the advice on overclocking and RAM!

Just now, typographie said:

Actually, the 1700X and 1800X do not come with a cooler. You can verify this with Newegg, Amazon, AMD's site, and PCPartPicker.

Here is a really nice video released today, which probably more accurate for the 1600X. 

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

more like 1600x or i7 6700, threads <- those are going to be more and more important now on, you gonna want the most of it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, typographie said:

Overclocking software comes with the motherboard, not the CPU. I'm unsure about ones are good. Honestly, if you're going to go to the effort of overclocking and all that comes along with that, you really should be doing it manually to get the best result you can. If you aren't sure how, just read about it, ask questions, and wait until you're ready.

All ryzen 3 and 5 except the 1600x comes with stock coolers.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)