What 27" 1440p monitor for <£300?

MSTRBKR

I seem to be going in circles with choosing a monitor. I don't need insane response times, incredible colour reproduction, or amazing viewing angles. I casually game and first person shooters are easily my least played genre. A lot of reviews I am reading say things like "no good for gaming", but is that actually true? Struggling to believe anything I'm reading as it's all relative. I currently have an ASUS VE247h 23.6" which I'm sure isn't at all "good" in the eyes of a reviewer, but I don't have a frame of reference of a better monitor, and I think the panel is fine. I think the issue is what I'm willing to spend is at the lower end, so the reviews won't be glowing.

I don't think I really care if it's TN or IPS as there are pros and cons to both. I just need an all rounder as I game, web browse, and sometimes edit photos with Lightroom on this PC. Freesync would be nice, but not essential. I've got about a 65cm gap for a monitor on my desk between my speakers, so ultrawide isn't going to work.

So far I think the best I have found are these two:

https://m.cclonline.com/product/197320/B2783QSU-B1/Monitors/Iiyama-ProLite-B2783QSU-27-inch-LED-Backlit-LCD-Monitor-1000-1-350cd/m2-2560x1440-1ms-DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort-Black-/MON3700/?gclid=CjwKEAjwwcjGBRDj-P7TwcinyBkSJADymblT-njyMo_0K4zWfKsXxHx-E69cml7RliUNpK1RswksDBoCiQ7w_wcB

https://m.alza.co.uk/27-aoc-q2781pq-d4421941.htm?kampan=adeu_uk-pla-cpa-mobile_produkty_m_9045554_WK227w2&gclid=CjwKEAjwwcjGBRDj-P7TwcinyBkSJADymblT2hk1HrGcvLMVYtr99AwcnV6hGQAc5CnpVsJx2NXWuhoCPA3w_wcB

I really like the AOC Q2781PQ but again I am lost because reviewers say it's not ideal for games. Which is probably true if compared to more expensive monitors.

Help please if you can, thanks.

no idea about that first monitor. 

the second may be okay. AOC is pretty decent, as i owned an AOC monitor for years. 

usually when one says a monitor is not good for gaming is because of high monitor-side latency times, bad overdrive, or bad response times. these things may not matter too much if you play casually 

a good link explaining it

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm 

i firmly believe you will benefit from an IPS display, or a VA display (a bit rarer tho). you'll get away with TN, but it might not be the best for editing photos. 

I really need to try some out but there are no decent shops in the UK with computer hardware. I get the reasons why a monitor might not be best for gaming but it's difficult to understand whether it's terrible or not ideal. Not ideal is fine, or performance that matches my current monitor is also fine.

That's a nice monitor marky but I am looking to move up to 1440p and have a larger display so I can see from across the room. I wouldn't buy a 1080p one now, especially one that's larger than 24". If I had width on my desk I'd probably go for 32" 1440p :D

20 minutes ago, VMarshall said:

What games are you playing competitive such as CS GO ?

I don't play any competitive games. As I say, I don't really ever play FPS games now. Mostly action/adventure, RTS, and driving/racing games.

I'm really glad I went for IPS. In the end I found a really good deal on an open box AOC Q2775PQU coming in under £250! It's brand new and came with all the cables, but all someone had done is open the box. 27% off, thank you very much.