My PSU got a power surge

Hi and i was concerned about my PSU recently got an unexpected power surge and my whole system got shut down.

My motherboard saved my system due to the mother's anti-surge if that occur (which it did).

Here are the PSU and my other specs if this can be helped.

PSU : FSP 600 Watt 80% Gold rating Power supply (Non-modular Power supply)

CPU : Intel core i7 6700 (non-K)

GPU : Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 (Overclocked by roughly 15%)

Mobo: Asus H170 Pro gaming

RAM : 16 GB of HyperX Black RAM 2133MHz (4x4 Sticks RAM)

HHD : Seagate 3TB Hard drive and Western Digital Blue 500 GB Hard Drive

SSD : Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Other Info :

*It has 5 Fans (4 of which has lighting including 2 Reds And 2 Green lighting)

*The CPU Cooler is just a stock Intel cooler (since my CPU is non-overclockable)

*My GPU has 2 Fans and has white lighting in it. (Palit Jetstream Series)

*My motherboard's lighting configuration was set to breathing at one above the GPU and the other one is set to Flowing at the side and below of the GPU.
*All of the Specs listed above besides the 500GB HHD was bought roughly 7 months ago... so it was relatively new then the power surge just occured.

How was the Power surge occured :

*While i was playing ARK : Survival Evolved for few hours... There was an unexpected shut down and when it was restarted my system. My BIOs just said that there's a power surge occured while i'm playing the game. It din't destroyed my Motherboard nor other of my PC Parts. Due to My mother board's anti-surge thing...

So can i ask something...

Q1 : Is this rare? (because this is the first time happened to my PC)

Q2: How to Prevent this issue?

Q3: Does my motherboard's Anti-surge thing a one time use?

3 minutes ago, Elastico345 said:

Hi and i was concerned about my PSU recently got an unexpected power surge and my whole system got shut down.

My motherboard saved my system due to the mother's anti-surge if that occur (which it did).

Here are the PSU and my other specs if this can be helped.

PSU : FSP 600 Watt 80% Gold rating Power supply (Non-modular Power supply)

CPU : Intel core i7 6700 (non-K)

GPU : Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 (Overclocked by roughly 15%)

Mobo: Asus H170 Pro gaming

RAM : 16 GB of HyperX Black RAM 2133MHz (4x4 Sticks RAM)

HHD : Seagate 3TB Hard drive and Western Digital Blue 500 GB Hard Drive

SSD : Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Other Info :

*It has 5 Fans (4 of which has lighting including 2 Reds And 2 Green lighting)

*The CPU Cooler is just a stock Intel cooler (since my CPU is non-overclockable)

*My GPU has 2 Fans and has white lighting in it. (Palit Jetstream Series)

*My motherboard's lighting configuration was set to breathing at one above the GPU and the other one is set to Flowing at the side and below of the GPU.

How was the Power surge occured :

*While i was playing ARK : Survival Evolved for few hours... There was an unexpected shut down and when it was restarted my system. My BIOs just said that there's a power surge occured while i'm playing the game. It din't destroyed my Motherboard nor other of my PC Parts. Due to My mother board's anti-surge thing...

So can i ask something...

Q1 : Is this rare? (because this is the first time happened to my PC)

Q2: How to Prevent this issue?

Q3: Does my motherboard's Anti-surge thing a one time use?

I am 99% sure that antisuge is 24/7 im not totaly sure how to solve this past just getting better serge protector but u are lucky as a friend of mine had this and his psu blew up. try getting a surge protecting power board as you mobo surge protection proberly wont save you in all cases.

Hope ive helped

-Coop

first thing: please no comic sans, default font is good enough.

that said, asus' anti surge is SUPER hyperactive, the least amount of variance will make it trigger.

also, if you have power surges often in your area, FSP isnt really a good pick for you as a power supply, because i've found they handle fluctuations in the grid REALLY badly..

as for preventing.. a better power supply, perhaps?

This same happend with me also, Please check your PSU for any defects . I had an old Corsair GS600 (5yrs old) and it started with random restarts and MB displaying the same message of Surge Protection. If this continues then go ahead and try some other PSU . 

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that said, asus' anti surge is SUPER hyperactive, the least amount of variance will make it trigger.

also, if you have power surges often in your area, FSP isnt really a good pick for you as a power supply, because i've found they handle fluctuations in the grid REALLY badly..

as for preventing.. a better power supply, perhaps?

really? well i don't really have any budget for buying a new Power supply. the other other supply i've got is just cheap ones from my old pc. So i'm guessing that i'm going still going to use the FSP Power supply since that's the best one i got. But hopefully in the future... I'm going to get a better one.

Just now, Elastico345 said:

really? well i don't really have any budget for buying a new Power supply. the other other supply i've got is just cheap ones from my old pc. So i'm guessing that i'm going still going to use the FSP Power supply since that's the best one i got. But hopefully in the future... I'm going to get a better one.

from my experience, FSP isnt *that* bad, but they are really dependant on getting clean power in to get clean power out.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

BTW... sorry that i'm using comic sans. I kinda like that font :) i'm probably be the first person you see that liked comic sans.

Just now, Elastico345 said:

BTW... sorry that i'm using comic sans. I kinda like that font :) i'm probably be the first person you see that liked comic sans.

@Comic_Sans_MS

3 hours ago, Elastico345 said:

The Comic Sans gave me a brain tumor so help me god

Asus Anti-Surge will trigger for lots of reasons unrelated to power surges. If your system still boots up and works then I wouldn't worry about it too much, though can you link us the model of your FSP unit? They have lots of good and bad units so you may have gotten a bad one, not sure.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The Comic Sans gave me a brain tumor so help me god

Asus Anti-Surge will trigger for lots of reasons unrelated to power surges. If your system still boots up and works then I wouldn't worry about it too much, though can you link us the model of your FSP unit? They have lots of good and bad units so you may have gotten a bad one, not sure.

It's a FSP AurumS 600 watt PSU

2 minutes ago, Elastico345 said:

It's a group-regulated unit from back yonder but my best guess is that it's not the reason you had this problem. Does your house have surge protection? Is your PC plugged into something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BE112230-08-12-Outlet-Power-Protector/dp/B000J2EN4S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489857791&sr=8-3&keywords=surge+protector

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, Elastico345 said:

seems to be shockingly similar guts as the one i have (bahdumtish)

i see two potential issues:

- mine is really not forgiving to power grid fluctuations, % fluctuation in basicly means % fluctuation out

- it has a yate loon fan, which *WILL* burn its bearings given long enough.

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It's a group-regulated unit from back yonder but my best guess is that it's not the reason you had this problem. Does your house have surge protection? Is your PC plugged into something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BE112230-08-12-Outlet-Power-Protector/dp/B000J2EN4S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489857791&sr=8-3&keywords=surge+protector

I don't know if my parent's house (which i lived in with my PC) have a surge protector and no i don't use any surge protector extension cord... just a regular one.