[REVIEW] Lenovo Legion Y520 Laptop (i5-7300HQ, GTX 1050 2GB)

genexis_x
On 21/06/2017 at 6:29 PM, Snapizoid said:

Hi,

I am in the process of buying myself one of the new Lenovo legion laptops. Everything checks out for my gaming need and as i see the Y520 (i57300 with gtx 1050ti) is slightly better then other laptops in this range. But recently i found out that many Lenovo laptops have faulty keyboard or faulty construction altogether.

Could you tell me if you had any problems with the keyboard or any part of the laptop. (I see that after roughly 3-20 days of use the E,F,G,N and 8,9 numpad keys are not working.) I read somewhere that even Lenovo acknowledges that the keyboard back plate is not properly fit (or something like that.)

Thank you.

Generally, it shouldn't have any problems.

In my case, the down arrow key seems a bit sink inside but still functioning, not a big deal.

Edit: Seems like the Y520 has some minor keyboard problems as reported by some users.

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Generally, it shouldn't have any problems.

In my case, the down arrow key seems a bit sink inside but still functioning, not a big deal.

That's good to hear. I was downhearted when I saw these problems with Lenovo and for some reason I don't want to buy ans Asus ROG.

Oh and also currently I don't have any extra left in the bank to buy an SSD. How slow is the HDD in games (if you play any multiplayer online games) I am more then happy to compromise with Multitasking being slower then usual.

On 21/06/2017 at 6:37 PM, Snapizoid said:

That's good to hear. I was downhearted when I saw these problems with Lenovo and for some reason I don't want to buy ans Asus ROG.

Oh and also currently I don't have any extra left in the bank to buy an SSD. How slow is the HDD in games (if you play any multiplayer online games) I am more then happy to compromise with Multitasking being slower then usual.

In games, not that slow. If you upgrade to 8GB RAM there shouldn't be any problem

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

just bought an legion y520 from costco and it's an amazing product:D

RAM:16 GB

i7-7700HQ quad core

256 GB SSD

2 TB HDD

@$1095 including taxes

No keyboard problemsxD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Plan to get this y520 laptop. May i know what is the default brand of the Ram of this laptop? When you did the upgrade to 8gb ram, which brand you choose? Both ram 2400mhz?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Ong said:

Hi. Plan to get this y520 laptop. May i know what is the default brand of the Ram of this laptop? When you did the upgrade to 8gb ram, which brand you choose? Both ram 2400mhz?

Thank you.

Default-Samsung 4GB 2400MHz

After using for 1 month I upgraded the RAM to 8GB (took out the original one and added a single stick 8GB RAM)

I got a Kingston 8GB 2133MHZ RAM. Advice: RAM is RAM, any brand will do.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Default-Samsung 4GB 2400MHz

After using for 1 month I upgraded the RAM to 8GB (took out the original one and added a single stick 8GB RAM)

I got a Kingston 8GB 2133MHZ RAM. Advice: RAM is RAM, any brand will do.

Thanks for the reply. U trade in the old samsung ram? How much?

5 hours ago, Ong said:

Thanks for the reply. U trade in the old samsung ram? How much?

RM50, I bought 8GB RAM for RM250 so total cost will be RM200

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Hello where did u bought the Leno y520? Your gtx1050 is 2 gb or 4 gb? If anyone can tell me where is the best  online site to buy it. 

Hey there, I bought this laptop at the end of April. Same spec and price as you, have you ever encountered bsod and game crashes while playing so far? Cause mine does that a lot, and this happen only during playing games. (So far I've played with this game: Overwatch, Paladins, Borderlands 2. All have occasional crashes and bsod after not more than 1 hour). Hope you can share some of your thoughts and suggestion on how to fix it. 

5 hours ago, Syay said:

Hello where did u bought the Leno y520? Your gtx1050 is 2 gb or 4 gb? If anyone can tell me where is the best  online site to buy it. 

Through private agent

GTX 1050 is with 2GB VRAM

Currently the best site to buy in Malaysia is Lazada, there's one model with i7, without OS but only RM100-200 more

4 hours ago, FluffyPod said:

Hey there, I bought this laptop at the end of April. Same spec and price as you, have you ever encountered bsod and game crashes while playing so far? Cause mine does that a lot, and this happen only during playing games. (So far I've played with this game: Overwatch, Paladins, Borderlands 2. All have occasional crashes and bsod after not more than 1 hour). Hope you can share some of your thoughts and suggestion on how to fix it. 

Try reinstall Windows. Also what's the amount of RAM?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 7/13/2017 at 8:30 AM, ZM Fong said:

Through private agent

GTX 1050 is with 2GB VRAM

Currently the best site to buy in Malaysia is Lazada, there's one model with i7, without OS but only RM100-200 more

Try reinstall Windows. Also what's the amount of RAM?

Thanks for the suggestion, the problem has been fixed. It turned out that my new ram was the problem. I switched to a newer one and gaming now is a breeze. :DDD (Currently I am using 8gb of ram.)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Undervolting i5 7300HQ CPU and GTX 1050 GPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Can you see the temperature and fps rate and peak for Team Fortress 2? (Free on Steam) Thank you so much for putting in all the work for this review. Loved it.

4 hours ago, ZaneratorGamer said:

Can you see the temperature and fps rate and peak for Team Fortress 2? (Free on Steam) Thank you so much for putting in all the work for this review. Loved it.

Noted. Will test when I'm free (I'm quite busy for these few days so I apologize if I reply late)

Oh yeah, thanks!

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2017 at 8:19 AM, ZaneratorGamer said:

TF2 is hard to be tested as the FPS fluctuates depends on the load (different scene) and number of players

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Please could you tell me why this laptop does not have smooth gameplay on 128 tick servers in csgo

6 hours ago, Thomaspro98 said:

Please could you tell me why this laptop does not have smooth gameplay on 128 tick servers in csgo

Umm...I have no idea...

Will try 128 tick again later.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 8/4/2017 at 8:19 AM, ZaneratorGamer said:

I don't own the Y520, but it should be able to handle TF2 without a sweat since the Jungle Inferno major patch.

Breaking 60 maxed out 1080p should be no issue on its hardware. You may run into FPS drops but that's usually when there's a heap of stuff going on like pipe/rocket spam.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

22 hours ago, Thomaspro98 said:

128 tick rate runs fluently. Corrected. (the old information is before RAM upgrade)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

UPDATED: Gaming Performance with new GPU settings (incredible temps!)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Nice review I might do one too but when I have unlimited internet so I can really give a detailed review the battery cap thing was really useful didn't know about it I always play plugged I never run on battery like ever since I got it I never ran it on battery so it's cool to have it plugged in while having peace of mind. I got mine with the GTX 1060 Max-q

About overclocking could you give more details or make another post of how to overclock because I wanna overclock the gpu to fill in the 7-10% gap between the gtx 1060 and 1060 max-q. Does it overheat when you do it, will it lower the lifespan of the laptop? If so, by how much? 

On 23/01/2018 at 2:03 AM, DarthVader61425 said:

how to overclock

By custom voltage to frequency graph, this method will not cause much heat and will not shorten lifespan as it uses lower voltage

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

Update: Display can be OCed to 62Hz only. LG 15.6 inch panel doesn't OC well

Desktop specs:

Spoiler