Interesting problem: massively overheating motherboard!!

Alright guys I've got an interesting problem today that I can't seem to figure out. I have a mini itx build in a define nano s. 6700k, 1080, all the works. I was even able to fit a h100i v2 in there to cool the processor, so it occurred to me the other day that with all this great cooling capacity I should be overclocking! I was able to get a pretty nice overclock up to 4.8 but this is where I learned something existential about myself: I hate noise. Long story short I turn back everything to default (I'm still using the XMP settings) and I even worked my fan curves on the h100i to get as little noise as possible. Now this is where all my problems come from. I was checking hwmonitor and the motherboard temp caught my attention, it was at 110 Celsius and climbing. I hiked up all the fans and it kept climbing, opened up the side panel and it went even higher to 115. Finally I shut it off fearing that eventually I could cause some real damage. I rebooted into the bios and it too was reading 100 Celsius. When I went down into the case you could feel the heat resonating and the heat sinks on the motherboards were incrediblely hot. (It's a ASUS z170i pro gaming) I left the system off for a few hours and it cooled down. Now, whenever I have a gaming session I'll return to CPU temps in the 90s and motherboard temps in the 100s. I really can't figure out what is causing these components to get so hot and I'm worried it may cause long term harm. Any ideas are very much appreciated!!

IMG_1578.JPG

Current PC

CPU: i7 77000k MOBO: Z170i Pro Gaming COOLING: Corair H100i v2 RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 16gb (8x2) GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 1080 Turbo  STORAGE:  Samsung 960 evo 512gb, 3 x Samsung 850 pro 1tb CASE: Fractal Design Nano S PSU: Corsair RMi 750i

this is a shot in the dark but maybe the temps are wrong and there are some problems with the thermal sensors. what voltage are you running at? how knew is the h100iV2? is it possible that the fluid it is using evaporated over time? you could also try reapplying thermal paste. 

13 minutes ago, brosen1109 said:

Alright guys I've got an interesting problem today that I can't seem to figure out. I have a mini itx build in a define nano s. 6700k, 1080, all the works. I was even able to fit a h100i v2 in there to cool the processor, so it occurred to me the other day that with all this great cooling capacity I should be overclocking! I was able to get a pretty nice overclock up to 4.8 but this is where I learned something existential about myself: I hate noise. Long story short I turn back everything to default (I'm still using the XMP settings) and I even worked my fan curves on the h100i to get as little noise as possible. Now this is where all my problems come from. I was checking hwmonitor and the motherboard temp caught my attention, it was at 110 Celsius and climbing. I hiked up all the fans and it kept climbing, opened up the side panel and it went even higher to 115. Finally I shut it off fearing that eventually I could cause some real damage. I rebooted into the bios and it too was reading 100 Celsius. When I went down into the case you could feel the heat resonating and the heat sinks on the motherboards were incrediblely hot. (It's a ASUS z170i pro gaming) I left the system off for a few hours and it cooled down. Now, whenever I have a gaming session I'll return to CPU temps in the 90s and motherboard temps in the 100s. I really can't figure out what is causing these components to get so hot and I'm worried it may cause long term harm. Any ideas are very much appreciated!!

IMG_1578.JPG

Is your cpu cooler connected to the cpu_fan connector? 

And your cpu shouldnt be that hot either especially with a water cooler do you have any thermal paste or thermal compound on them?

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

this is a shot in the dark but maybe the temps are wrong and there are some problems with the thermal sensors. what voltage are you running at? how knew is the h100iV2? is it possible that the fluid it is using evaporated over time? you could also try reapplying thermal paste. 

Well he said he could feel the heat so im not sure that might be it

My ASUS motherboard shows temps at 110C all the time, but when I touch the single heatsink on the motherboard it's ice cold. In my situation it's just hwmonitor not reading the sensor properly.

In your situation however, since heat is resonating from your motherboard, you should get it RMA'd if possible. If there are no obvious capacitors near the source of heat on the motherboard, then you should be fine. Probably put a small fan there to direct airflow over the heatsink.

You should search online to see if HWMonitor has issues reading temps for your particular motherboard.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

15 hours ago, HaX_VoarTeX said:

Well he said he could feel the heat so im not sure that might be it

you can still feel heat if the temps are lower than 100 to 90 degrees C. if its 70 degrees C it would still be very hot and you would feel it. 100 degrees C is the boiling point of water you don't need something to be that hot to be able to feel it. these were all ideas also so its important to consider all possibilities rather than just throwing one out of the window just because you might think its unlikely because often time that comes to bite you in the butt when it turn out that it was the cause and obviously you took forever to figure it out because you threw it out right away. 

Arent there any exhaust Fans? Do the Radiator Fans pull enough Air into the Case?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback. I'll try to address all the questions. The h100i is brand new this December and came with a pre applied application of thermal paste, I was also thinking that maybe I should put on a fresh coat just to be safe. I'm running at whatever the default voltage is for a 6700k. The cooler is actually plugged directly into the motherboard via a USB 2.0 header on the board, but yes it's also plugged into the CPU header. Finally, no there aren't any exhaust fans and I was also starting to think that could be part of the issue (duh). I always meant to get another mag lev fan for exhaust but just never got around to it. The front two fans spins really slow so there's a shot that I'm just suffocating my case, but is it really possible for the motherboard to get so hot just from lack of air flow? Also it's important to consider that I've got a blower style gpu so all that hot air is being exhausted out the back, and the psu has its fan downward facing so it's heat is out of the equation as well. With absolutely no overclock shouldn't the h100i have enough radiator space to keep the CPU cool? Is rma really my only option left?

Current PC

CPU: i7 77000k MOBO: Z170i Pro Gaming COOLING: Corair H100i v2 RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 16gb (8x2) GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 1080 Turbo  STORAGE:  Samsung 960 evo 512gb, 3 x Samsung 850 pro 1tb CASE: Fractal Design Nano S PSU: Corsair RMi 750i

The VRAM shouldn't be that hot even with no airflow. I had a i7 4790k with a asrock mATX MoBo and passive cooling. The temperature was about 80C. I checked it with a thermal camera,  but by hand it's very difficult to tell the difference between 75C and 105C.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Remove the cooler and check the retention bracket.  If a CPU and motherboard really are exposed to temps in the 90s for longer than an hour, the retention bracket will be discoloured. 

Like this really :

IMG_20150727_101054m.jpg

Look for actual overheating damage before you decide to believe your motherboard's sensors.  In the case above it wasn't just the retention bracket.  The northbridge heatpipe, several of the ferrite chokes and the CMOS battery also turned blue due to overheating.

2 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

by hand it's very difficult to tell the difference between 75C and 105C

40°C is the point where the majority of people feel that something goes from "hot" to "painfully hot, I'm burning my hand".  It takes a special (not in a good way) kind of person to keep one's hand on something over 50°C.

I'd say it is likely hwmonitor, it used to do the same thing to me on one of my asus boards, read as high as 212 C once.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

26 minutes ago, arbellason55 said:

I'd say it is likely hwmonitor, it used to do the same thing to me on one of my asus boards, read as high as 212 C once.

Everything over 125C is a falce reading.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Could you add screenshot of HWmonitor while under stress? And could you also try with rad fans as exhausts. With such small case there definitely should be active exhaust taking all hot air out.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv