1440p vs 1080p ....(and G-sync)

Dang3r D3bbi3

Hey guys I am looking at either buying a 1440p 144Hz maybe G-sync display or buying a full decked out 1080p display with 144Hz and G-sync. Which one do you think i should go with..? If want my specs look on my profile and also before anyone says anything, I WILL BE UPGRADING THE GTX 750 SOON!

Thanks guys!

3 minutes ago, Dang3r D3bbi3 said:

Hey guys I am looking at either buying a 1440p 144Hz maybe G-sync display or buying a full decked out 1080p display with 144Hz and G-sync. Which one do you think i should go with..? If want my specs look on my profile and also before anyone says anything, I WILL BE UPGRADING THE GTX 750 SOON!

Thanks guys!

What are you planing to upgrade to?

3 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

5 minutes ago, Dang3r D3bbi3 said:

I WILL BE UPGRADING THE GTX 750 SOON!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

21 minutes ago, Dang3r D3bbi3 said:

Thanks guys!

Prioritize refresh rate first. Then resolution. Last gsync (it's expensive)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Either for a 1440p G sync display, Dell S2417DG

For a 1080p G-sync display, Acer XB241H bmipr 

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I mean to what is he upgrading it, what graphics card he will get...

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

really? thats not at all what he meant

Games will look the same on 1440p as on 1080p except you will need less AA and you will get less FPS.

So for that reason 1080p would be still very nice.

However if you also spend a lot of time on desktop doing stuff then 1440p is such an awesome thing that I could never go back to 1080p.

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I would either get a 1060 6GB or 1070, this will be my last post for a while because i have to go somewhere, cant wait to see all the great ideas you guys have later on! :)

1 minute ago, Dang3r D3bbi3 said:

I would either get a 1060 6GB or 1070

Then that 1440P monitor can work, but some games won't hit 144FPS. At least the monitor has G-sync, so that fixes it.

2 minutes ago, Dang3r D3bbi3 said:

I would either get a 1060 6GB or 1070

If you are getting a GTX1060 or below - then 1080p monitor.

GTX1070 - will drive 1440p fine (but 1080p better).

Higher than GTX1070 - then get 1440p monitor.

6 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Oh...sorry.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Oh...sorry.

Nah, anyone can make a mistake.:P

1060 6GB is fine for 1440p but you will have to play "only" on high settings (depends on game but some single player AAA games will require even some medium settings for 100+ FPS).

Before you listen to any advice, what kind of games do you play?

Honestly my idea and opinion is buy the 1440p, you can always play games in 1080p when you need to when you weigh in performance verse visuals.

11 hours ago, Sack said:

Before you listen to any advice, what kind of games do you play?

BO3, BO2, CSGO, Rocket League, Civ games, Battlefront.....I want to get Fallout and GTA later on

i'm using a GTX 1060, and use the 1440p Monitor Dell s2417dg.

Should be at 390 Dollar in US right now, on Amazon.com.

That's pretty much a steal for having 1440p, 165 Hz and the expensive G-Sync on board.

If you take away 150 bucks from G-Sync, this is basicly a 250 Dollar 1440p Monitor with 165 Hz.

Works without problems.

Do NOT make the huge mistake and buy a low-res Full HD Monitor just because you upgrade to a GTX 1060, instead 1070 or 1080.

If you need more fps, you just reduce settings, Problem 100% solved.

You will keep the Monitor for a LONG time. Much longer, than your GPU.

After you upgrade your GTX 1060 to a better one, do you still want to look at Full HD only?

Take the Dell. You should NOT buy any 1080p G-Sync monitor at all, because the Dell is almost same price, but offers 1440p. You get more for the same money.

And with G-Sync, even without 144 fps, it will still be super smooth.

btw, i tried Civ 6 a while ago. Runs perfectly smooth in 1440p and maxed out settings on my GTX 1060.

You basicly don't buy 1080p Monitor, if you can afford a sharper 1440p Monitor for nearly the same Price.

ok sounds great! But i have one question, my friend has a 27" Asus RoG 144Hz G-sync monitor and he likes to play CSGO a lot. He says he turns off G-sync for a game like that. Do you do that? Also what 1060 do you have? I'm guessing you have the 6GB version but what AF cooler do you have on it?

On CS:GO you will easy hit 200-300+ fps.

So G-Sync has no function there anyway. g-Sync only works in the Range of 30 up to 144 Hz (or 165 Hz, if the Monitor can be OCed to that).

If you have fps between that, g-Sync is awesome. If you get 300 fps... well, doesn't work.

I personally have G-Sync active at all times. On Games, where i can have much more than 165 fps (because my Monitor has 165 Hz), i try to use an fps limited ingame and set it to 163~, so i'm withing the G-Sync range and low input lag.

If fps would go above 165 fps, G-Sync would be off, and either V-Sync would be on (higher input lag), or V-Sync would be off (Tearing).

But: For all games, where you can NOT hit more than 144 fps, G-Sync is pretty nice. Tell your friend, to show you BF1 or any shooter that runs at <130 fps.

I have the MSI Gaming X GTX 1060. it's the 2nd best Cooler on the GTX 1060, right after the super big Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming.

However: Keep in Mind, i would NOT recommend it. I can NOT hear the Fans at ALL, even under full Load while beeing Overclocked hard.

But the Price is high.

Here in germany, cheap GTX 1060 models start at 250€~. etter ones 260-270€~. MSI Gaming X costs 310-320€~. That's too much, because for 390-400€ you can already get a Custom GTX 1070.

And, a similar performance RX 480 MSI Gaming X is 239€ right now here.

So...... In that case, i can NOT recomment a GTX 1060 msi Gaming X (even if the Cooler is absolutely Superb) for 320€, if the RX 480 counterpart with the same Cooler is at only 239€. And GTX 1070 (30-40% more performance) at 399.

Check prices in your Country, and compare them.

Do NOT Compare the 1060 vs. 1070 with both MSI Gaming X Coolers only. See if there's a cheaper GTX 1070.

Here, a 1070 msi gaming X is 480€. that's 80€ above the cheapest. That is +20% ^^

Btw: On my 165 Hz Monitor, i've tried Ghost Recon Wildlands open Beta today, which is known for beeing a pretty good GPU-Killer.

The GTX 1060 struggles to maintain 60 fps on even Full HD when you set everything to Ultra.

On my 1440p Screen, my GTX 1060 is set to High preset (there is very High, and Ultra above that), and i manage to hit around 52-54 fps~ on average. according to Benchmark, and at the very beginning of the game.

But thanks to G-Sync, it feels very good. no tearing, no stuttering.

That's a Case, where i like having G-Sync. Without it... it would Tear a bit.