SSHD Maintenance... Trim or defrag?/intro

Hey Guys,

Title in itself might seem a little stupid but seems as linustech is my treasure trove for knowledge, i haven't really been able to find anything that's been clearly definitive with regards to maintenance of a solid state hybrid drive.

I'm planing on casing a 1TB seagate firecuda (128mb cache/8GB ssd) as an external drive. Need a pretty obvious and simple question answered:

Does this or any other sshd fall under the guidelines for defragmentation or are sshds optimised by way of trim?

I'm kind of trying to power through replacing all of my gear considering I got out of a relationship a few months ago and all the old gear is just giving me bad memories.

I use my laptop rebuild as a healing platform. I'm rebuilding my laptop and putting together a new external drive to work through my way of healing.

I'm mildly autistic with a meticulous specialty for picking specific parts when i build a computer. So if the above drive fits the box and doesn't need trim, it's gunna sit in my enclosure.

Help a nerd out.

Many thanks,

Ryan.

Defrag I think, because the Solid State part is just a cache, and most of the storage is on spinning media, which suffers from fragmentation.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I'd never considered this before actually... interesting question!  My gut instinct would be to just let Windows handle it in the default way, since it knows to trim SSDs and defrag HDDs automatically.  But seeing as how SSHDs show up as one device to the OS and the drive handles addressing the separate parts internally without giving the control to do so manually to the OS, I'm not sure what would happen. *Followed* :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

you can't TRIM a SSHD - the user does not have access to the SSD cache

also, TRIM and defragmenting are not interchangeable - they do different things

TRIM empties the cells who's content was marked for deletion

while defragmenting solidifies the file structure into continuous blocks

17 hours ago, ig8uh8m8 said:

-SNIP-

They shouldn't require any work at all as SSHD's self manage what is best for placement in the SSD portion for quick booting and launching, and does this over repetitive use as they learn over time. At least that is what seagate calls adaptive memory tech:

http://www.seagate.com/ca/en/tech-insights/adaptive-memory-in-sshd-master-ti/

• 1 month later...

case closed it shows up as defrag, although since transferring all of my required data to the drive i hit defrag on all 3 partitions (tools, data & media) for peace of mind.