Nintendo Switch or 1070 SLI?

Go to solution Solved by Gale,

I don't know about you, but the only Switch release title I'm interested in is Zelda. If I were to get it on launch, I would have to wait for months after I was done with Zelda in order to get a second game for the system.

Wait until late 2017 to get the Switch, in my opinion. Choose something else.

Nintendo Switch or PC upgrade?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy the Switch and some games

• Nintendo Switch + games
    • Ryzen CPU + mobo + DDR4 RAM
    • GTX 1070 SLI

Today I saw a preorder kit at Target that includes a Nintendo Switch and LoZ BotW for about, but I was hoping to upgrade my PC now that I'm playing at a higher resolution. So what should I buy, a Switch, another 1070 or upgrade to a Ryzen hexcore?

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

i'd go with the switch, but that's because I love nitnendo
if you don't see yourself playing anything aside from zelda for a very long time, go with the 1070
if you plan on picking up a few games along the way like the new mario game, mario kart, spltoon, and arms, then switch 1070 down the line
as for ryzen, you have a 4790k, unless you really need more cores (I doubt it) i'd pass that up entirly

6 minutes ago, ElZamo92 said:

Today I saw a preorder kit at Target that includes a Nintendo Switch and LoZ BotW for about, but I was hoping to upgrade my PC now that I'm playing at a higher resolution. So what should I buy, a Switch, another 1070 or upgrade to a Ryzen hexcore?

what do you really want?

Do you want something that can supplement your existing gaming setup or become a new gaming setup?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

SLI is a waste of time, Switch by far.. lmao. I don't game or travel enough to justify the Switch (if I wanna play games I load them up on my PC or browse the internet on my EliteBook or phone) 

idk

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

SLI is a waste of time, Switch by far.. lmao. I don't game or travel enough to justify the Switch (if I wanna play games I load them up on my PC or browse the internet on my EliteBook or phone) 

Why is it a waste of time?

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

21 minutes ago, ElZamo92 said:

What monitor are you using?

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Why is it a waste of time?

Patchy support, compatibility issues (in some games it can even impact performance negatively).. there's a reason why SLI setups make up a very small amount of the PC gaming population. 

idk

I personally prefer Nintendo because their consoles offer an experience unique from PC gaming. For the most part, unless you have an emulator of some sort, the only way to play Nintendo games is with their console, which is a huge part of the fun anyways. If you already have a decent PC, an entirely new experience may be more exciting than another upgrade. Then again, everyone has their preferences.

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Patchy support, compatibility issues (in some games it can even impact performance negatively).. there's a reason why SLI setups make up a very small amount of the PC gaming population. 

The reason is due to most PC's being bought off the shelf or by unknowledgeable buyers. Enthusiasts make up very little of the PC market as seen by the whole AMD vs Nvidia debate.

Patchy support doesn't really hold much ground now, especially as Nvidia have tried to aid it's support by dropping to 2x card configs. In he 18 months I ran 2x 970's only Just Cause 3 offered zero support (out of the roughly 70 - 80 games I own)

Ofc it's a complete waste for OP to a 2nd for 1080P, but higher res, 1070 SLI see's around a 60% improvement, I would hardly call that a waste of time

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_1070_2_way_sli_review,21.html

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/94210-msi-geforce-gtx-1070-gaming-x-sli/?page=5

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/94210-msi-geforce-gtx-1070-gaming-x-sli/?page=7

Ryzen Ram Guide

I'd get the Switch to not be an SLI fanboy tbh

The reason is due to most PC's being bought off the shelf or by unknowledgeable buyers. Enthusiasts make up very little of the PC market as seen by the whole AMD vs Nvidia debate.

Patchy support doesn't really hold much ground now, especially as Nvidia have tried to aid it's support by dropping to 2x card configs. In he 18 months I ran 2x 970's only Just Cause 3 offered zero support (out of the roughly 70 - 80 games I own)

Ofc it's a complete waste for OP to a 2nd for 1080P, but higher res, 1070 SLI see's around a 60% improvement, I would hardly call that a waste of time

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_1070_2_way_sli_review,21.html

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/94210-msi-geforce-gtx-1070-gaming-x-sli/?page=5

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/94210-msi-geforce-gtx-1070-gaming-x-sli/?page=7

That's because they were tested with mature games and mature drivers. First day releases are a shit show for SLI. After the first few weeks it gets better, but first day releases are bad. Recent games are coming out with worse and worse SLI support. It consumes power like a motherfucker for not much better than 1080 performance. I'd keep the money and wait for 1080Ti and then sell the 1070 for one, since you'll see about the same performance for not much more money. In EVERY game. 

idk

30 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

What monitor are you using?

1440p Ultra wide

ZamoRIG 2.0:

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

9 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

That's because they were tested with mature games and mature drivers. First day releases are a shit show for SLI. After the first few weeks it gets better, but first day releases are bad. Recent games are coming out with worse and worse SLI support. It consumes power like a motherfucker for not much better than 1080 performance. I'd keep the money and wait for 1080Ti and then sell the 1070 for one, since you'll see about the same performance for not much more money. In EVERY game. *In every game it is supported and TWICE the performance in games SLI isn't supported or is still finicky.*

ftfy

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

There's no reason to even think about switching to Ryzen until you see third party reviews of it. That doesn't mean we can't be optimistic though. I'm sure Ryzen is going to put a big dent in today's CPU pricing, but there's no reason to jump ship if it's not sinking (You've got a 4790k for crying out loud... still the 3rd best gaming cpu in existence and not far behind the 6700k or 7700k at all). I don't see why anyone would switch before seeing real reviews of it. A CPU and Motherboard combo isn't cheap.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

youre setup is powerful enough you dont need to swap to ryzen, SLI is a waste of time tbh 1 1070 is enough so id say get a switch 

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, peej said:

youre setup is powerful enough you dont need to swap to ryzen, SLI is a waste of time tbh 1 1070 is enough so id say get a switch 

*your

ZamoRIG 2.0:

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

1 minute ago, ElZamo92 said:

*your

im tired okay i only just work up im not looking at what im typing 

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, peej said:

im tired okay i only just work up im not looking at what im typing 

k

ZamoRIG 2.0:

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

That's because they were tested with mature games and mature drivers. First day releases are a shit show for SLI. After the first few weeks it gets better, but first day releases are bad. Recent games are coming out with worse and worse SLI support. It consumes power like a motherfucker for not much better than 1080 performance. I'd keep the money and wait for 1080Ti and then sell the 1070 for one, since you'll see about the same performance for not much more money. In EVERY game. 

what 1080ti? :)

Ryzen Ram Guide

what 1080ti? :)

I don't even know if it's coming out

God damn Nvidia and your 'don't tell us shit' attitude

idk

Boycott the Switch. The dock is nothing but a video output decoder, and will cost nearly $100 more to get. It is not included with the Switch.

Get the Ryzen combo and play Nintendo's existing best titles via the Dolphin emulator. These include Xenoblade Chronicles, And The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess from the Zelda franchise. 

Get a used Switch for $150 in a few months, by which time cracks will be available to enable USB-C video output without their proprietary $$$ dock.

I always got fancier motherboards for SLI support, and I ended never doing an SLI setup. Every time I want to, there is this better GPU that makes the setup not needed. Not to mention, reduce heat, noise, and gain all the new features of the new card. It is expected that Volta, Nvidia next GPU architecture, to be released later this year (assuming it isn't delayed more).

I am looking at your computers specs, and I see that your computer DESTROYS my computer in performance. I still run a Core i7 930, GeForce 680, 6GB of RAM. Beside the lack of RAM, the CPU and GPU still hold up well for 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 (I have a 16:10 monitor) just fine at medium-high settings on most games. Now of course, I do plan on upgrading my desky sometimes in the future (waiting to see AMD new CPU, waiting for Volta, and then I'll decide... I am in no rush.. in the mean time I am piling my savings).

So I don't see why you need a new computer upgrade, I just don't... if anything, say you have a 4K monitor, which I assume you have and have yet update your profile, then just wait for next Nvidia GPU and get AMD or Nvidia offering then and there.

So you can get a Switch.. that is assuming you want the portability factor, and the Console game line up is interesting to you, of course. I am assuming you have done your research and genuinely interested in the console and its games.

On 2/20/2017 at 4:23 AM, Aereldor said:

Boycott the Switch. The dock is nothing but a video output decoder, and will cost nearly $100 more to get. It is not included with the Switch

Absolute garbage lies. Nintendo presentation, website, and statements made is CLEAR that the dock station IS INCLUDED with the system. Even leaked open boxes (if you think Nintendo own "what is in the box" listing is lying), showed the dock station.

Also, similar accessories for the PC cost $60-70 US, so Nintendo asking price for extra dock is not far off (not to mention of what it looks like to be a decent quality, unlike the similar accessories on PC). But I guess this price difference is "VASTLY" overpriced, as the annoying guy in the crap video mentioned. Also, Nintendo made it clear that headset and bluetooth headsets will work on the Switch, they listed it on the website.