2x 1080p displays on one rx480?

iRileyx

Wasn't sure if this was more suited to the GPU or monitors section, but i'm looking at buying 2 new monitors, I dont care for 1440p in all honesty, so im just looking for basic 1080p.

My question is whether or not an RX480 (specifically the XFX GTR RX480 8GB) could handle gaming on 2x 1080p monitors at the same time? I know some games wont support playing on both monitors due to the odd resolution so don't tell me that, i already know xD I just want to know if anyone has the same setup (2x 1080p monitors on a 480) or knows if the RX480 is capable of handling it?

The monitor i was looking at is the Acer GF246 24" Full HD LED Monitor - http://www.ebuyer.com/758339-acer-gf246-24-full-hd-led-monitor-um-fg6ee-020

They have Freesync which will make for much smoother gameplay with my 480. my current screen (32" TV @ 60hz gets a lot of screen tearing)

I'm also aware that my cpu WILL be a bottleneck for this, i'm planning an upgrade to Ryzen, but if that's not all it turns out to be, a 7700K.

Any help would be appreciated.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Yes it can easily handle it, especially if your card is overclocked (You have the best card you should be able to hit at least 1400)

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Yes it can easily handle it, especially if your card is overclocked (You have the best card you should be able to hit at least 1400)

I can hit 1420 max before it becomes unstable :P But at the end of the day my cpu will always be a bottleneck until i upgrade :(

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If you lower details a bit and you can somehow play with dual bezels in the middle of all the important shit that goes on in like 90% of all videogames...sure.

I mainly play single players games like Borderlands, Witcher, GTA(i rarely go online) and those monitors i was looking at have fairly thin bezels.
Would turning down the graphics settings be required? like less than high settings? anything less than high i personally wouldnt be happy with, so i may have to upgrade GPU haha.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

I can hit 1420 max before it becomes unstable :P But at the end of the day my cpu will always be a bottleneck until i upgrade :(

I mainly play single players games like Borderlands, Witcher, GTA(i rarely go online) and those monitors i was looking at have fairly thin bezels.
Would turning down the graphics settings be required? like less than high settings?

On Witcher and GTA yeah those games are though you'll probably have to knock it down to medium. Borderlands should be fine max or near max though.

And thin vessels are kind of ok but still will be big enough to fuck with you. You should just consider an ultrawide screen instead like a 29" 2560x1080 screen instead.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

On Witcher and GTA yeah those games are though you'll probably have to knock it down to medium. Borderlands should be fine max or near max though.

And thin vessels are kind of ok but still will be big enough to fuck with you. You should just consider an ultrawide screen instead like a 29" 2560x1080 screen instead.

GTA i bottleneck already, i never hit 40+ fps when driving/roaming etc the world on ultra. with Witcher 3 though I can surprisingly hit 60fps on ultra, i guess that game is more gpu intensive? 

I have been looking at ultrawides but a single 27" 1080p ultrawide costs more than the 2x 1920x1080p freesync screens i linked :/ 

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

GTA i bottleneck already, i never hit 40+ fps when driviing/roamingn etc the world on ultra. with Witcher 3 though I can surprisingly hit 60fps on ultra, i guess that game is more gpu intensive? 

I have been looking at ultrawides but a single 27" 1080p ultrawide costs more than the 2x 1920x1080p freesync screens i linked :/ 

Really? Less than this one?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-25UM58-P-25-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01BV1XB2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487469543&sr=8-1&keywords=2560x1080

And if GTA V already struggles it will probably turn to a slideshow so more reason to consider a more reasonable upgrade like ultrawide.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

That one doesnt even offer me a UK price when i click on it xD 

And GTA struggles due to my kinda crappy a8 7650k cpu, even overclocked to 4.3ghz. But that will be getting upgraded once Ryzen is fully released... hopefully to a Ryzen but if that turns out to be a flop, I have £700 for cpu+mobo+ram so i can probably go for a decent 6700k or even 6800k combo xD 

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

And GTA struggles due to my kinda crappy a8 7650k cpu, even overclocked to 4.3ghz. But that will be getting upgraded once Ryzen is fully released... hopefully to a Ryzen but if that turns out to be a flop, I have £700 for cpu+mobo+ram so i can probably go for a decent 6700k or even 6800k combo xD 

All that aside I really think you're not considering how big of a deal is to have even very thin bezels right in the middle of every game. I venture to say there's no possible way you'll enjoy that at all you're gonna end up going triple monitors and that's a whole new set of shit to deal with and for that I wouldn't even try with anything below a gtx 1080.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

All that aside I really think you're not considering how big of a deal is to have even very thin bezels right in the middle of every game. I venture to say there's no possible way you'll enjoy that at all you're gonna end up going triple monitors and that's a whole new set of shit to deal with and for that I wouldn't even try with anything below a gtx 1080.

Nah i get where you're coming from honestly. bezel's are a bitch for multi monitor gameplay.

Thinking about it, i may have to go down to the Scan store and see the screen for myself, just to try and figure out if the bezel is manageable or not, I dont fancy having like, an inch of bezel between each screen for example. Or i could always look for screens with a thinner bezel, but my ideal budget is less than £350 for the two screens, and freesync is a priority, so i may struggle :/ 

Thanks for the help/advice by the way man.

I don't think you should even consider playing across two screens. It just sounds like it'd be incredibly awkward, and a huge compromise for what your system is designed to do. There are options for ultrawide that are within your budget.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/TfvZxr/lg-monitor-29um68

This one has a 75hz refresh rate.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CrvZxr/lg-29um68-p-290-60hz-monitor-29um68-p

This one has FreeSync.

Both are within 10ish pound of what you'd be paying for the other monitors.

20 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Really? Less than this one?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-25UM58-P-25-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01BV1XB2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487469543&sr=8-1&keywords=2560x1080

And if GTA V already struggles it will probably turn to a slideshow so more reason to consider a more reasonable upgrade like ultrawide.

With a 25" UW monitor you lose as much vertical space as you gain in the horizontal. Even then, it's not a great deal. 2".

They're by far the worst UW monitors made.

16 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

As long as you don't expect it to crush Intel performance wise you won't be disappointed.

Those that overhype it saying that it will be way better, or even within 5% will be truly disappointed.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't think you should even consider playing across two screens. It just sounds like it'd be incredibly awkward, and a huge compromise for what your system is designed to do. There are options for ultrawide that are within your budget.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/TfvZxr/lg-monitor-29um68

This one has a 75hz refresh rate.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CrvZxr/lg-29um68-p-290-60hz-monitor-29um68-p

This one has FreeSync.

Both are within 10ish pound of what you'd be paying for the other monitors.

With a 25" UW monitor you lose as much vertical space as you gain in the horizontal. Even then, it's not a great deal. 2".

They're by far the worst UW monitors made.

As long as you don't expect it to crush Intel performance wise you won't be disappointed.

Those that overhype it saying that it will be way better, or even within 5% will be truly disappointed.

Mhm, this has left me with more thinking to do haha,
Maybe just a standard (non-ultrawide) 24-27" 1080p freesync for gaming, line the monitor i linked, and then a basic 1080p on the side for other stuff on the side..

or an ultrawide for gaming and a basic 1080p monitor for monitoring afterburner, or having web pages open on the side..

I guess i'll have to think about this a little more now, see what i can come up with thats in my budget, but that my gpu could run xD

thankyou for the help with the rest though, i kinda wasn't expecting alot from multi-monitor gaming without a near-enough non-existent bezel, but all monitors with that i'd be paying pretty much my budget just for a single monitor

get ultra wide and make your life easier and the guy thats sayin it might be hard well 1440p ultra 80fps on bf1or 4k high 60fps is want my XFX RX480GB RS hits on standard clocks... so i think it will be fine hahah

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

7 hours ago, RKRiley said:

-snip-

thankyou for the help with the rest though, i kinda wasn't expecting alot from multi-monitor gaming without a near-enough non-existent bezel, but all monitors with that i'd be paying pretty much my budget just for a single monitor

Yeah, I struggled with that for a while! Still not entirely sure what I'm doing with my next set up either. 29", 34" or 38" 21:9.

I advise against 27" 1080p monitors. Definitely try one before buying. They give me headaches because they're lower PPI/big screen.

I went with 2 22" Dells because I got them for the equivalent of 55 pound each, brand new. I quite like the set up, and after using it can't even think about going back to a single monitor. Even at the price they're at the original monitors you picked are a good pair. I'd just go with those, and if later you want to upgrade, get something 1440p with a better GPU. Or save some money and get a single monitor and use your TV as the secondary display?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red