GTX 1080 Hybrid Running Hot

So I have a gtx 1080 FE that is converted in to a gtx 1080 hybrid for my sister's rig. I've been noticing that the gpu runs relatively hot compare to almost every benchmark that I have read. I've done all the basic troubleshooting such as replacing the thermal paste and making sure the pump is working. I've also tried running the fans (noctua NF -f12s) at 100% and it lower the temps by about 2-5C but the noise is pretty bad. 

So just for note the card is overclocked with a offset of 202 mhz on the core 500mhz on the mem. The gpu is hitting 60C with an ambient of 22.5C which is pretty hot when I see other reviews getting delta Ts of 20C or lower (I'm getting about 37.5C here). The case is a Phantek Enthoo Evolv matx and the rad is mounted to the front as an intake. Tried mounting it to the back and top as an exhaust it made it worse (Hitting 70C). 

I know performance wise as long as the gpu is not hitting the thermal limit its okay. But when your gpu is getting 10C+ more then everyone else out there you start to wonder what the problem is. 

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

hm... i would try taking it apart and inspecting all the screws and make your everything is getting proper contact and you used the right screws for the right area. ill be honest i have no experience in water cooling just taking a guess

8700k/1070ti/16gb ram

@YubinTheBunny What block are you using? Is it the EVGA closed loop one or something like an alphacool GPX? Im confused. Also i guess you didn't touch the voltage and it runs completely fine without the OC? 

50 minutes ago, Platypus_90 said:

@YubinTheBunny What block are you using? Is it the EVGA closed loop one or something like an alphacool GPX? Im confused. Also i guess you didn't touch the voltage and it runs completely fine without the OC? 

Its just the EVGA hybrid conversion kit that uses a AIO to cool the gpu. http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5188-B1

The voltage is left at stock.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

1 hour ago, cadd said:

hm... i would try taking it apart and inspecting all the screws and make your everything is getting proper contact and you used the right screws for the right area. ill be honest i have no experience in water cooling just taking a guess

The screws that hold the pump down is tightened down to the tightest it would let me. The screws themselves have springs on them to prevent over torquing the screws. 

Build

Yeah, i dont think pressure has anything to do with it. Other than checking the pump voltage, i.e. making sure it's running at 12v, i wouldn't know what to do. Did you use a splitter cable to connect everything to one header? Maybe you could try to power the pump via a molex or sata, to see if it's related to the power output of the mobo. I know it's just a hail mary.

17 hours ago, Platypus_90 said:

Yeah, i dont think pressure has anything to do with it. Other than checking the pump voltage, i.e. making sure it's running at 12v, i wouldn't know what to do. Did you use a splitter cable to connect everything to one header? Maybe you could try to power the pump via a molex or sata, to see if it's related to the power output of the mobo. I know it's just a hail mary.

I would not try and connect the pump to anything but the card.  I tried that once because I wanted the pump quieter and instantly killed it once plugged into the mobo with an adapter.  The pump wound up hard and seized instantly.

On 2/17/2017 at 11:04 AM, YubinTheBunny said:

The screws that hold the pump down is tightened down to the tightest it would let me. The screws themselves have springs on them to prevent over torquing the screws. 

Does the rad feel hot/is there warm air coming out?  I had the hybrid for my 980 and I saw temps up into the mid 50's while overclocking.  Have you tried running the card at stock settings to see what temps you get?

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

7 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I would not try and connect the pump to anything but the card.  I tried that once because I wanted the pump quieter and instantly killed it once plugged into the mobo with an adapter.  The pump wound up hard and seized instantly.

Ok, if that's the case then hands off.