HDD Filling up on it's own!

DaGaminFrik

Hey! I was just on casual routine checking my PC. I was shocked to see that my HDD was 93% full. I did not freak out and searched for some help. Damn Windows; they aren't available at the time I am free. So, most of the answers in some forums suggested to check the size allocated for System Restore. I checked it. It was at 2%. No probs there. Second thing was 'pagefile.sys'.

I checked that too and it was also very less (I dont remember the exact figures). I ran a full scan on my PC(I use McAfee Antiviru). NO threats. I selected all the files on my 'C' drive including hidden files and clicked 'Properties' button. And, the total size was 175 GBs. My HDD's total 'available' space is 456 GBs. 

Please help me. Thanks!

The thread was moved to the troubleshooting section

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Check your temporary files. Those tend to build up and dont always get deleted.

Capture.PNG

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

You could download Treesize if you want an easy overview of what's eating your HDD space

Does you mum know you're here?

10 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

You could download Treesize if you want an easy overview of what's eating your HDD space

yeah best idea, i use windirstat, it shows all the files on ur PC as different sized boxes so u can easily see whats eating your space up.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Also may want to try running malwarebytes as Mcafee doesn't always find everything 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Thanks for the help guys. By the way, is Treesize safe?

(I got it off Windows store but it kept crashing)

And, I dont think 'temp' would be doing the mischief. The 'unaccounted' files add up to 281 GBs.

So, I ran TreeSize and I found the thief!

It is a folder named 'System Recovery'. It has another sub-folder inside it called 'USERDIFF.0'. It's size is 189 GBs.

I dint delete it. Can I delete it?