Is IPS worth 115 pounds more than TN?

IAR117

imo no not worth it

do you care about color depth/accuracy?

whatever your answer is, that's the answer to your question.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

imo no not worth it

Just for the record, I'm not a Pro that has anything to do with editing

1 minute ago, IAR117 said:

you just answered your own question then

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

do you care about color depth/accuracy?

whatever your answer is, that's the answer to your question.

I don't want it to be terrible, I hoped that the resoloution would make up for it being TN. Would this TN panel look terrible?

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

you just answered your own question then

Oh, xD I was wondering if anyone had any experience of both panel types

9 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

I don't want it to be terrible, I hoped that the resoloution would make up for it being TN. Would this TN panel look terrible?

a decent TN is plenty for "the gaming", if you have to question the value of IPS, it's probably not your cup of tea :P

I guess if your running a 1440p pannel at 144Hz your using Nvidia rather than AMD, so I wouldn't pick the expensive one.

There is also no point unless you really need the colour accuracy, as others have said.

If you ever watched a good IPS for extended period of time and then went back to some TN panel, you'll hate it (or at least dislike it heavily).. Not because of color accuracy, but viewing angles.

Modern TN panels are really good, some even covering like 99% of Adobe RGB. But those viewing angles man.. A cheap IPS isn't good either. Because of the backlight bleed. My laptop has it. And it's gross. My desktop monitor however is good. A proper IPS 100% RGB with minimal backlight bleed. It's just better. 

Of course, TN will do for gaming. But is it wrong if a game looks good as well? Choose for yourself. I could buy 144hz TN 1440p, but went with 60hz IPS instead. Do I regret the lower refresh rate? Yes. Would I change my 60hz one for 144hz TN? No. If you have a chance (money), get the best of bost worlds. a high refresh rate& IPS. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

If you ever watched a good IPS for extended period of time and then went back to some TN panel, you'll hate it (or at least dislike it heavily).. Not because of color accuracy, but viewing angles.

Modern TN panels are really good, some even covering like 99% of Adobe RGB. But those viewing angles man.. A cheap IPS isn't good either. Because of the backlight bleed. My laptop has it. And it's gross. My desktop monitor however is good. A proper IPS 100% RGB with minimal backlight bleed. It's just better. 

Of course, TN will do for gaming. But is it wrong if a game looks good as well? Choose for yourself. I could buy 144hz TN 1440p, but went with 60hz IPS instead. Do I regret the lower refresh rate? Yes. Would I change my 60hz one for 144hz TN? No. If you have a chance (money), get the best of bost worlds. a high refresh rate& IPS. Cheers.

yup once u go ips u cant enjoy a tn panel. the field of view, the depth of colour just superior on ips. and beside gaming if u use excel/word and watch videos or movies in ur pc then its no competition. ips is the better buy

22 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Try to find this pixio display, IPS is almost worth it for me though

https://www.amazon.com/Pixio-PX277-2560x1440-FreeSync-Displayport/dp/B01HPDAF68

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

The color shifting of a TN panel is likely not that noticeable while you're gaming. It's when you're on the desktop that it becomes annoying. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was I had a 24" monitor and simple wallpaper background and I could see color shifting while I was viewing it normally. It literally did look like a gradient.

One of those monitors is 24" and the other is 27"

IMO, it's worth £150 more for the extra size and IPS.

1 minute ago, Kommanche said:

One of those monitors is 24" and the other is 27"

IMO, it's worth £150 more for the extra size and IPS.

I know about the size and thanks for your input. Do you have experience with a 27 inch? Is the extra size worth it for games and genral web content?

3 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

I know about the size and thanks for your input. Do you have experience with a 27 inch? Is the extra size worth it for games and genral web content?

It's only worth it if the resolution also is bigger. There are 1080p 27" monitors that I wouldn't want because you can see the pixels more clearly. You can mitigate this by pushing the monitor back but... what's the point? If it's a 2560x1440 27" monitor, then you get to see more stuff.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's only worth it if the resolution also is bigger. There are 1080p 27" monitors that I wouldn't want because you can see the pixels more clearly. You can mitigate this by pushing the monitor back but... what's the point? If it's a 2560x1440 27" monitor, then you get to see more stuff.

Ok, thanks. I think I'll save up for the IPS panel. Question is which one. Is the XF270HU good?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It looks like a bog standard 27" IPS monitor to me, other than having 144Hz and FreeSync

Meh, I watched some reviews and seems like it's decent.

4 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Meh, I watched some reviews and seems like it's decent.

Well the problem with monitors (and speakers and keyboards and mice and basically any I/O device) is it's better to actually be there to demo it or something like it before making a decision.

The other problem is you can't actually view a monitor's strengths from a video on an already presumably flawed or lacking monitor. This is the reason why HDR is a tough sell now, you actually have to have an HDR display showing HDR and SDR content at the same time.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well the problem with monitors (and speakers and keyboards and mice and basically any I/O device) is it's better to actually be there to demo it or something like it before making a decision.

The other problem is you can't actually view a monitor's strengths from a video on an already presumably flawed or lacking monitor. This is the reason why HDR is a tough sell now, you actually have to have an HDR display showing HDR and SDR content at the same time.

I know. Where I am, it's quite hard to see tech like this in person. I could buy it from a local shop and refund it if it doesn't do well.

16 hours ago, Thread212 said:

If ur main focus is purely for gaming i think TN is the way to go.

Its cheaper and modern TN panel can be as good as IPS panel in terms of color reproduction although it wont be better and more vibrant, But it depends on the model themselves.

You cannot compare them in the same price bracket either because some manufacturer will cheap out on their IPS and other will not on their TN even though its on the same price bracket.

What can i guarantee on what u will get from an IPS panel that u wont get with TN is the viewing angle.

The monitor u linked to us is a good one (TN)

It has a good color as well according to Pcmonitor 97%sRGB which is good enough for non enthusiast like u and me.

and she's right about that ACER XF270HU it has nothing special about it except 144hz and adaptive sync imo its not worth extra 115 pounds.

Grab the TN panel.

I'm still on the fence. I'll update this thread after a bit more research and if I can I'll try and test them out for myself, but thanks for your opinion. I'll take it into consideration