Math for the slightly less inclined

dizmo

So I'm thinking about taking a Construction Engineering course in September, and it involves quite a bit of math that I never bothered to learn.

I plan on buying the text book and going over it to see if it's even something I want to bother with, but has anyone here found a good source for easy explanations of math problems?
A specific YouTube channel, or maybe Lynda.com?

Math is by far my least favorite subject.

This is what the first math course will cover:

• Trigonometric Functions
  • Trigonometric Functions of Any Angle
  • Radian Measure
  • Basic Algebra
  • Exponents and Radicals
  • Factoring and Fractions
  • Functional Notation and Graphs
  • Quadratic Equations
  • Exponentials and Logarithms
  • Systems of Linear Equations
  • Perimeters, Areas and Volumes
  • Analytical Geometry

For a point of reference, I haven't taken math courses like that (I took Accounting in both high school and college) since grade 10.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If you got into the course it means that you can probably do it.

They will offer Maths support for those who are struggling and they'll likely cover it all in lectures.

If you want a head start, I'd recommend Khan Academy. Last September I went back into education after a break and Khan Academy got me through all the basics which I'd forgot.

2 minutes ago, Mug said:

If you got into the course it means that you can probably do it.

They will offer Maths support for those who are struggling and they'll likely cover it all in lectures.

If you want a head start, I'd recommend Khan Academy. Last September I went back into education after a break and Khan Academy got me through all the basics which I'd forgot.

Haha, not really. Anyone can apply. Once you reach a certain age you don't really need to go through the approval process.

Is Khan Academy an online deal?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, not really. Anyone can apply. Once you reach a certain age you don't really need to go through the approval process.

Is Khan Academy an online deal?

Oh fair enough

Khan Academy is free, It's got loads of Science and Maths stuff on there.

12 minutes ago, Mug said:

Oh fair enough

Khan Academy is free, It's got loads of Science and Maths stuff on there.

I'll take a look, thanks!

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

If you are really concerned hire a tutor.  I did when I was headed back to school after a 5 year break.  That was high-school mind you, however the principle still applies-if you are interested in something, you will be able to learn it.

sold

10 minutes ago, KyleKyleKyle said:

The only way to get into math is to GET into math. You will have to learn to love it.

Not really.  I've always loved math.  I didn't have to learn to love it.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Khan Academy

Khan Academy

Khan Academy

There are other straight forward YouTube math videos too like math BFF or whatever.

I learn just as much math from the internet as I do in college lectures. 

System: Thinkpad T460

I also suggest Khan Academy.

Kind'a weird to pursue an engineering course without already having the math background for it, though. Engineering and math are rather inseparable.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

20 hours ago, Equilibrium_FOOL said:

If you are really concerned hire a tutor.  I did when I was headed back to school after a 5 year break.  That was high-school mind you, however the principle still applies-if you are interested in something, you will be able to learn it.

I remember going through a lot of shitty tutors for Math 10 in high school, I'd rather not shell out the money for that.

See, I'm more interested in the rest of the course. The math is just an unfortunate inclusion. Most of the work is done with software so it's just so you have a general understanding.

16 hours ago, Speedyv said:

Khan Academy

Khan Academy

Khan Academy

There are other straight forward YouTube math videos too like math BFF or whatever.

I learn just as much math from the internet as I do in college lectures. 

If I could get a tutor like that I might be more inclined to go that route... :P

12 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I also suggest Khan Academy.

Kind'a weird to pursue an engineering course without already having the math background for it, though. Engineering and math are rather inseparable.

Good to know so many people have used it.

I'm more interested in the costing side of it, not so much the design or anything like that. It's basically all done with software but you do need to know the basics to have an "understanding". Just like with Accounting, how doing stuff by hand is basically never used, however you still have to learn it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

On 16.2.2017 at 2:08 PM, Dash Lambda said:

Why? There can be all sort of reason for why someone did not dig into math yet.

On 15.2.2017 at 10:43 PM, dizmo said:

So I'm thinking about taking a Construction Engineering course in September, and it involves quite a bit of math that I never bothered to learn.

I plan on buying the text book and going over it to see if it's even something I want to bother with, but has anyone here found a good source for easy explanations of math problems?

I have currently the same problem. I am 30 years old and want to go back to university and study computer science as I want to dig into the depth of computers. I bought a math book just to relearn and learn even more about the basics of math, which are needed. My book is pretty good but in German, so a recommendation wouldn't help you out.

I have to admit I am scared but not because it´s math. It is rather I have never dealt with higher math so far so I think I might be too stupid to understand it no matter how much time I put into it.

I enjoy doing the math calculations so far but I just started with the book.

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

Why? There can be all sort of reason for why someone did not dig into math yet.

Like I said: Engineering and math are inseparable.

Not getting into math is not weird, but taking a course that makes use of that math before you get into it is weird.

53 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I have currently the same problem. I am 30 years old and want to go back to university and study computer science as i want to dig into the depth of computers. I bought a math book just to relearn and learn even more about the basics of math, which are needed. My book is pretty good but in German, so a recommendation wouldnt help you out.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat! Ended up hating what I took the first time around, so time to go back and do it all over again. What was the name of the book you had, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe there's an English version.

Just make sure there's work in the field. I know a lot of my IT friends aren't having the easiest time of it.

10 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Like I said: Engineering and math are inseparable.

Not getting into math is not weird, but taking a course that makes use of that math before you get into it is weird.

Not everything you learn in school is directly applied to what you do with that degree outside of school.

Something you should really consider before you think it's weird.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not everything you learn in school is directly applied to what you do with that degree outside of school.

Something you should really consider before you think it's weird.

You've explained that you don't directly do the math yourself for the most part in your chosen field, which I can't really argue against because I don't know what you're going into or what it entails. 

Fact stands, though, that even if you don't use it in practice, you're saying that those math concepts are required for the class. So, again, weird.

9 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

You've explained that you don't directly do the math yourself for the most part in your chosen field, which I can't really argue against because I don't know what you're going into or what it entails. 

Fact stands, though, that even if you don't use it in practice, you're saying that those math concepts are required for the class. So, again, weird.

It's not really weird at all...

Have you never taken a college program before, and gone on to work a job?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not really weird at all...

Have you never taken a college program before, and gone on to work a job?

I'm still in uni, so like I said, I'm mostly ignorant to occupational stuff.

55 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I'm still in uni, so like I said, I'm mostly ignorant to occupational stuff.

Haha, you'll see when you're released upon the world.

It was something me and my buddy tried explaining to his fiancee as she finished her Masters. When you go to a company, they will train you the way they want, and it often differs from what you've learned in school. Plus so much is automated and computerized that most of what you learn isn't used.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler