I have a i5 2500k processor w/ stock cooler on it but i havent reapplied thermal paste since i built it

partal

My CPU gets hotter than it used to get , 70°C , will the temps drop if i reapply thermal paste , processor is i5 2500k with stock cooler 

They will most likely go down.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

3 minutes ago, partal said:

For how much ? 

nobody can tell you that, its not an exact science. for the sake of $10 thermal paste its worth a go regardless..

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

can vary from 2 degrees to like 30 degrees Celsius. depends on so many factors, nobody here can predict it for you.

Temps might go down by 2 - 4C, or more, or less. You probably just have to do it and find out. Arctic Silver MX-4 is one of the best pastes, and the one I'd personally use.

Have you overclocked the CPU? With the stock cooler, and those temperatures, I'm guessing not. I recommend getting an inexpensive aftermarket cooler, like a Cooler Master 212 Evo, and then overclocking to 4.5 or 5.6 Ghz. It will be well worth it, and if you're going to reapply thermal paste, might as well, since you're taking the stock cooler off, anyways. The stock cooler isn't very good, and doesn't really allow for a decent overclock to be done.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

13 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Temps might go down by 2 - 4C, or more, or less. You probably just have to do it and find out. Arctic Silver MX-4 is one of the best pastes, and the one I'd personally use.

Have you overclocked the CPU? With the stock cooler, and those temperatures, I'm guessing not. I recommend getting an inexpensive aftermarket cooler, like a Cooler Master 212 Evo, and then overclocking to 4.5 or 5.6 Ghz. It will be well worth it, and if you're going to reapply thermal paste, might as well, since you're taking the stock cooler off, anyways. The stock cooler isn't very good, and doesn't really allow for a decent overclock to be done.

I cant overclock since my motherboard doesnt support it @Delicieuxz

27 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

nobody can tell you that, its not an exact science. for the sake of $10 thermal paste its worth a go regardless..

If you're playing $10 for thermal paste, you're paying waaaaay too much :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

How much were the temps before under same load? Because 70C is still nice temp with stock cooling. I doubt you will see much effect with new paste.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

If you're playing $10 for thermal paste, you're paying waaaaay too much :P

I've always used artic silver lol its about £8 so $10ish

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

1 hour ago, Badger906 said:

I've always used artic silver lol its about £8 so $10ish

Arctic Silver 5 was good when it was released but now it lags behind. It's also conductive and has a cure time of about 300 hours which is far from ideal.

Better pastes are now available. Noctua NH1, Arctic MX-4, Coolermaster MasterGel Nano and Thermal Grizzy Kryonaut are all better.

13 hours ago, Kommanche said:

Arctic Silver 5 was good when it was released but now it lags behind. It's also conductive and has a cure time of about 300 hours which is far from ideal.

Better pastes are now available. Noctua NH1, Arctic MX-4, Coolermaster MasterGel Nano and Thermal Grizzy Kryonaut are all better.

Arctic silver 5 is not conductive, I can assure you.

"Cure time" isn't a factor. Most thermal pastes work better while they are still moist, but this is a minimal temperature difference. Arctic silver has one of the longest shelf lives out there and while it doesn't perform the best out of the tube, it will continue to work for years. I have a 7 year system that I had to take the cooler off for cleaning with soap and water, the arctic silver was still moist enough that I was able to remove it an re-apply it.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit