Guys, what the heck?

aisle9

So I bought a GeForce 210 off of CeX because $8.00, but what came to me has me perplexed. Here's the GPU-Z readout:

Untitled.png

Looks good, right? I took apart the GPU and saw that it has a GT218-325-B1 chip under there. Here's the thing:

IMG_20170209_184801_769544628.JPG

This is very clearly a PCI card.

After digging around, I found virtually nothing about a PCI GeForce 210. I know they're out there, and I found specs for one using DDR2, but not a DDR3 card. eBay, where I hope this one finds itself in fairly short order, also had nothing to show in terms of PCI GeForce 210's. Looks like it's an OEM card, so there should be something out there somewhere.

Any idea where to go to learn more about this card and see if it's worth the $8 I'm into it for?

IMG_20170209_184722_648349370.JPG

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

It sucks 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

2 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

It sucks 

Well, yeah, duh, but some PCI cards are randomly really expensive. A PCI GT 610 can go for $150+ because stupid.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Well, yeah, duh, but some PCI cards are randomly really expensive. A PCI GT 610 can go for $150+ because stupid.

Stick it on ebay at $100 and you'll soon find out :D

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Is this real?  Do they exist?  Or is it some knock off fake card that they've hacked the BIOS on to show up as a 210 since anyone buying one of those isn't expecting much performance anyway?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is this real?  Do they exist?  Or is it some knock off fake card that they've hacked the BIOS on to show up as a 210 since anyone buying one of those isn't expecting much performance anyway?

I thought about that, so I took the heatsink off to check. It's an NVIDIA GT218 chip. If someone did fake this card, they did such a great job that they accidentally turned it into a real 210.

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

That's a PCIe card.

Just now, Schubaltz said:

Overclock the crap out of it and give us a before and after of the Fire Strike scores, I'd honestly love to see that. ^_^

FireStrike won't load. :( I think I can give you the projected results, though.

Before OC: -12

After OC: -3, but the room's on fire

The real question here is why do any motherboards in 2017 still ship with original PCI non-express slots - and some of them with more than 1!?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The real question here is why do any motherboards in 2017 still ship with original PCI non-express slots - and some of them with more than 1!?

In PCI defense I still use the single PCI of my motherboard for one of these:

TL-WN851ND.jpg

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Because they're kicking it old school.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

In PCI defense I still use the single PCI of my motherboard for one of these:

I feel like for a while, motherboard makers continued to hold on, providing the port long after everyone should have had no use for it, just to be nice, and then it got to the point where card makers are like "well, these are still being made so we're gonna start making new PCI cards" xD 

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I faningled my SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital and another incredibly nice Riptide card to work, but after a while the drivers finally gave me the finger.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

because mine runs on PCIe 2.0 @ x16 it shows mine have more bandwidth than yours

Back when my laptop was brand new i was able to run Source engine games and COD MW at 60fps with no issues

idk whats happened since but the same games only run at 30ish fps now (probably a win10 thing)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I feel like for a while, motherboard makers continued to hold on, providing the port long after everyone should have had no use for it, just to be nice, and then it got to the point where card makers are like "well, these are still being made so we're gonna start making new PCI cards" xD 

When one deals in older equipment, PCI cards are always welcome.

Now, if I order another "PCI Express" card from CeX and a freaking AGP card falls out of the box, I'll be annoyed. Or not, if it's one of the ultra-rare ones that crack $100, but not too many cards from a dead interface hit that dollar figure.

Meanwhile, this 210 just gave me a heart attack because the PC wouldn't boot to Windows with it installed. Fortunately, that was a BIOS thing, not a "way to go, stupid, you bricked it" thing.

Whelp, somehow in the process of getting this GPU to work, I killed the hard drive.

No, I don't understand either. The system just went black while reinstalling drivers for the 210, and when I rebooted, I was greeted with a lovely INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bsod, then upon rebooting, the DST short test failed with a message of "Warning No Drive Detected".

I'm going to go drink something. If that's the HDD I think it is, it's about 3 years old, far too young to die.